Save your cabinets!

ofcamper

We just took delivery of our 2001 3670RL and love it. We immediately took off for a 3 week trip an began tweaking things in the unit. One of the first things we noticed was that the doors on our cabinets were rubbing on the face boards causing the face plates to scratch. We took a quick trip to one of the big box home improvement stores and purchased cabinet door bumpers for all of our cabinets. We spent about an hour sticking them on to all the doors and drawers and yes on occasion we had to adjust a latch or two, but it has been well worth the $25 investment to save our cabinets from damage, not to mention they don't slam so loud anymore.:D

Wharton

Our cabinet doors were put on too close together and with some humidity they are rubbing when closing. I took a quick glance at the hinges to see if I could adjust them a little but it didn't appear so. When we get to Phoenix we have access to a cabinet shop and will see what we can do, maybe just plane off a little bit and polyurethane the edge again.

Any other solutions out there?

Willym

Do you not have concealed hinges? I thought that 2011 BH's had them. They are adjustable - up/down, in/out, and sideways. There are a couple of screws on the inside that can be moved in or out to move the door sideways.

Our cabinet doors were put on too close together and with some humidity they are rubbing when closing. I took a quick glance at the hinges to see if I could adjust them a little but it didn't appear so. When we get to Phoenix we have access to a cabinet shop and will see what we can do, maybe just plane off a little bit and polyurethane the edge again.

Any other solutions out there?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You can probably replace them with Blum or "Euro" hinges (the concealed types) of the appropriate size (based on the with of the door stile). They're not cheap and require a mounting jig to get them right, but they have adjustability. I've used them on a couple of cabinet projects I've built around the house, and all of the Merillat cabinets in the house came with them. The only way to adjust the exposed face frame hinges currently used is to slightly tighten the bend around the hinge pin by putting it in a vise and GENTLY compressing it.

The alternative to buying new hinges would be to remove the current overlay hinges from the doors, reposition them maybe a 1/2" up or down from their current positions so you have good wood to screw into and rehang them a little further apart. Then fill in the holes on the face frame, dab some matching stain, and call it good.

Another method would be to fill the existing holes on the face frame with epoxy and just redrill slightly further outboard and rehang the doors. You need to fill the holes with something that will harden and allow you to drill without popping out. Otherwise, you'll end up back in the original hole. But trying to shove epoxy into a #6 screw hole is not easy. You could try goobering a hardwood toothpick or two with the mix and jam those in. Once hardened, trim the ends off and then do the mounting.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2283&filter=blum

View attachment 10106
I don't work for or own stock in Rockler, I just use them for a lot of my WW'ing supplies. And their website has lots of photos for examples. A professional cabinet maker may have better ideas, however.

Wharton

I'll look at the hinges again when we have time. We have been going to back-to-back rallys etc for 2 weeks, next week trailer is in for a new suspension system and then the truck goes in for some work. We want to do some touring of the area also, cabinets are way down on the list unless they become critical....

Westwind

We have the Euro hindges (hidden) on on 2012 BH 2012, we have had a problem with them coming off the drilled insert on the door. They have an expandable vinyl insert but it seems the hole was dirlled to large so when screwed in they don't stay. I've used Monster Glue and it's held well.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Don't forget the safety locks on those cabinet doors hiding behind the slides!! Don't ask how I know!!LOL!