Slam Door Hydraulic Shock failure

Vtxkid

I have a 2011 3010HD which we bought about 10 weeks ago with a slam door on the left that hangs up in the process of being opened since day one. I found it to be the shocks connected to the door that let it supposibly come up and hold it in the open position since the bedroom slide prevents the door from opening all the way up verticle like the slam door on the right side. In the process of opening it, you actually have to force it open after it comes half way up itself. It is taken a toll on the hinge attaching the door to the main body so I have disconnected the shock on the right side (looking at the door) and found it to be much easier to open and stay open. I have contacted the the warrenty dept. of my dealer several times (Danville RV in Va.) and last discussion with him was that it appeared that I didn't have the correct shocks attached to the door. Meantime, I continue to get different excuses as why they haven't sent me the correct new ones if in fact they are not the correct ones. Has anybody else had this problem?!? :confused:

jbeletti

While others weigh in on their experiences, please give Heartland Customer Service a call in the morning at 877-262-8032 to discuss the matter. Have your VIN ready.

Jim

porthole

Retired
I don't have slam doors but the piston works the same on mine. I am sure it is to prevent damage to the door from the bedroom slide being opened with the door up.

Vtxkid

Looks like my dealer came through today with 2 new slam door shocks dropped of at my door (at my surprise!) Best news is that I installed them and they work great! I looked at them close before installing them and noticed that they are slightly different in cylinder housing lenght along with a different name brand. They mentioned I might of had the wrong ones installed originally. Pulling it out tomorrow so its good to have it fixed!

Please allow me to introduce myself. I am a new member #1777,logged on as njroadking. My wife and I have a 2010 Cyclone with a 3612 floor plan. We fell in love with it at the RV show in Hershey, PA. Our dealer was Wilkens in Bath,NY. The reason I'm doing this on this site is, I'm having the same problem with the slam door on the slide side. It only goes up half way and I have to push it up the rest of the way. I've also read the replys and I intend to call customer service while still under a warranty. I personally have learned so much from reading as many threads as possible. Thanks for listening. Gary

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
The week before we took deliveryon our BIGHORN 3585RL we went by the dealer in Tulsa to check it out. The slam door on the door side would g up all the way then start a slow fall to about half way down. When I ask the Tech about it he said the pistons would need to be moved up. I told him that would not work, that I was sure the factory knew where to put the pistons. That The problem was probably in the piston it's self. When he walked away I took my pocket knife and made a mark on both pistons. The next Sat. 01/22/11 we went to pick it up.. During the walk around I made a point to check the pistons and found they had been changed out.. These new ones work real well. When I release the latch and lift the door it goes up really well and you really have to pull pretty hard to get the door down.... You must talk like you know exactly how things should work and not let someone BS you.
Larry Keever
Oklahoma City
2011 BIGHORN 3585 RL
2010 Ford F-350 Dually Diesel
HOA 1811

TedS

Interesting. My forward door lifts do the same, lift to nearly full open then stop. I figured it was to prevent the door from hitting the bedroom slide when it is open. When the slide is closed, I can push the door full open. I didn't think it was a problem door lift.

Vtxkid

Gary, I found out that they actually installed the wrong shocks and with 3-4 phone conversations with the dealer parts guys, they finally came through with the right ones. Place the shocks side by side and their is a considerable difference between them. Its been working great ever since.

TedS, On the cyclone 3010 anyway, with the slide out, the slam door does come in contact with the slide. And if the slide was in, the door would open slightly more. Their is very little pressure between the door and the slide when it is out. No problem here..

gpshemi

I had mine back to the dealer for this. In talking with Heartland it seems this is a standard feature due to the door hitting the slide when it's out. So they force you to make it go all the way up rather then it hitting the slide by itself. Personally...I think they need to rethink it.

porthole

Retired
If the under the slide door was not restrained in opening I imagine it would slam pretty hard into the slide.
Most of the pistons that are available have no restraint in opening speed until they are nearly fully extended.

Personally, I like the way it works. Mine swings open and comes within an 1/2 inch or so of the bedroom slide.

gpshemi

I was just suggesting some more thought. A side opening door on that side would be a much better solution for example. I'm not saying it doesn't work.