RECIPE: Seasonings, Rubs, Dressings & Sauces / Garlic Cracked Pepper Salad Dressing

jbeletti

Tags:
=============================
  • Type: Seasonings, Rubs, Dressings & Sauces
  • Category: Before Meal
  • Special:

Meta Data
  • Yield: 16 servings
  • Prep Time: 20 minutes
  • Ready in: 2880 minutes
  • Difficulty: 1 ( 1 - Easy, 5 - Difficult )
  • Source: Will Sahli - a chef friend of mine

Ingredients
  • 1 Pint - Mayonnaise (we use Hellmann's)
  • 2 Tablespoons - Dijon Mustard
  • 1-1/2 Teaspoons - Garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon - Red Wine Vinegar
  • 1 Ounce - Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
  • 1-1/2 Teaspoons - Black pepper, coarsely cracked
  • 1/2 Ounce - Fresh lemon juice

Preparation Instructions
  • In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients
  • Use an immersion blender to blend everything together nicely. If you don't have an immersion you could make this in batches using your blender or food processor. You want to blend, by whatever method you have available, until the coarsely cracked black pepper is reduced in size by 1/2 or so
  • Taste and adjust by bringing the dressing to a balance. You'll know when it tastes right. It should have a nice creamy consistency, and you should be able to taste the garlic and black pepper at about the same strength. There shouldn't be too much taste from the lemon juice or the Mayo. If there is add small amounts of the weaker flavor until it's balanced.
  • So, dressing all made and you want a nice big salad, right! Well resist the temptation and put this stuff in a jar or a covered container and put in the back of the fridge for 2 or 3 days. During that time all of the flavors will really blend and meld together, producing a dressing whose taste exceeds the some of its parts. So, the longer you can resist the better.

Tips

Pitfalls

Variation Ideas
We serve this dressing on Boston Bibb Lettuce, with a quartered plum tomato, several peeled wedges of avocado, a sliced hard-cooked egg, and bacon crumbles. That, my friends is very good stuff, in deed.

Note from Jim: This recipe and commentary above is not my own. It's my friend Will's. This dressing is AWESOME!