Tri Glide Hitch - Anything I need to do before or after adding?

RobertB

Bob B.
Is there something specific I need to do before or after I put the tri glide hitch on??? I have a 2011 Grand Canyon, and a 2010 Chevy 3/4 ton short box diesel?????

DW_Gray

I don't think so. Lippert installed mine 2 months ago and I didn't have to make any changes. It took a few hours to install. Be sure to inspect it closely. I discovered one of the zerks was broken off before I left. They fixed it. Also make sure you get your owners manual too. My installers lost mine and I still don't have a replacement.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Robert, the Tri-Glide will raise the front of your trailer a bit. So if you are sitting level now you may have to lower your hitch to keep it level. I did.
Also there are 9 Zerks on the jaw, I think they want you to grease it every 1 or 2 thousand miles.
I'm not sure but I don't think there would be a manual with the TG. Other than greasing you just tow with it like before.
When mine was installed it took about 15 minutes. The lower jaw that is. I already had the Trail-Air.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If you are doing the install on your own, I would take the extra time and remove the upper jaw, strip all the existing paint and file the edges and corners smooth. Get a good primer and epoxy paint and make it look nice. If Trail Air/Lippert hasn't improved their paint process on the lower jaw, I would also do the same to that. I did this to my Trail Air when I first installed it and it still looks like new after 15 months. Prior to that, I had to touch up the Trail Air a few times a year.

bill40

Follow Ray's advice and it will save you a lot of sanding each year. We stripped ours and repainted before installing. If you do the install your self it would help to have a strong table and a good jack, or a strong friend. Really is not a bad job.

Boca_Shuffles

After installation, check the clearance between the back of the pinbox and your side rails when at a 45 degree turn.

An L05 unit was installed on my trailer. Due to the possible sliding action and the possibility of hitting a pothole while turning, I decided to trim the back of the pin box.

Since I now have the hydraulic front jacks, I just lifted the front on the trailer and drove the truck in at a 45 degree angle. By carefully lowering the kingpin into the hitch, I could safely measure the amount of clearance, without worrying about hitting the side rail.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
Installed the Tri Glide pin box on my Big Horn this past weekend. Will see how it works the end of the month on my trip up to the Smoky Mountains.

porthole

Retired
Hmmm... Deals Gap???

Yes, every time I am down there, but there are plenty of good roads, many better then the Dragon.

That could be an interesting day trip for the April rally folks. I have a lot of time down there and the roads can be just as much fun in a 4WD. Although I think passengers may not be up for the twisities sitting in a truck.

Spend any time down there?

I found a road this time that was so steep that when I stopped at the intersection I was sliding backwards with the front brake locked!