What a veiw! Must see video

dieselsweetheart

OMG! And at about 7 minutes into the video the narrator says "now this is the tricky part, getting to the top"... I thought the entire trip was tricky. I have to say my heart rate went up about 20 bpm just watching that!!!

jbeletti

Wow! Where's the warning "don't watch this after you just ate" :)

I've climbed a good many towers in my day but nothing at those heights. Those heights are usually for TV transmission antennas. I assume they were there to change the tower light bulb.

Cool video - thanks for sharing.

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I hope they got paid by the foot. I wouldn't do that for a million dollars. Not scared it's just 'my mama raised ugly kids not stupid ones".

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Holy stuff in the black tank!! I watched that video and immediately had to create a link to show it in the High Angle Rope Rescue class I'll be teaching tomorrow thru Sunday. I always get the hotshots that whine that our four story training tower isn't tall enough for them. Fine, go get this guy. I'll be waiting for you in my BH somewhere else!

Climbing the ladder with a safety line would be hard enough. The part where he has to climb without a safety line gave me a huge pucker. Along with a bit of vertigo.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Trust me...I know nothing about tower climbing but why can't they lower a person from a copter? To windy?

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I hope they got paid by the foot. I wouldn't do that for a million dollars. Not scared it's just 'my mama raised ugly kids not stupid ones".

Well, I will admit, I'm too scared, chicken or what ever you call to do that.

There ain't NO WAY!

Northern Virginia
Yea, I got a little vertigo watching that as well. Wondered if he had a base jumper parachute, you know, just in case.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I got to thinking how tired this guys arms and legs must be after that climb. Then I thought, he will still have to climb down. I bet he needs a week to let his muscles recover from that climb.

Clymer

I would not even be able to do the first 1600 feet in the elevator much less the rest of the climbing...and no safety ropes...they must be kidding....I had the weak leg feeling just from watching the video!!

JohnDar

Trust me...I know nothing about tower climbing but why can't they lower a person from a copter? To windy?

Wind, downwash, deadly static charge, trying not to smash the worker into the tower, or pull him off before he disconnects from the copter hoist. Not a whole lot of room for positioning error.

A rescue from the top of one of those would be the stuff that legends (or widows) are made from.

loafer

Holdy crap was that batman and robin up there>
They could not pay me enough money to go up there.Hopefully they dont have to go up that too often.The pole gets thinner the higher they go.
cool video,it would be easier to jump off with a parachute on to get back down again dont ya think. going up is one thing but climbing back down a whole other story.
thx for sharing
Bill

JohnDar

Holdy crap was that batman and robin up there>
They could not pay me enough money to go up there.Hopefully they dont have to go up that too often.The pole gets thinner the higher they go.
cool video,it would be easier to jump off with a parachute on to get back down again dont ya think. going up is one thing but climbing back down a whole other story.
thx for sharing

Bill
He's already got 30+ lbs of tools hanging underneath him as he climbs. Adding a parachute would probably make it impossible. Having climbed a relatively short safety cage ladder with a backpack of rope gear, it's not easy.