First outing in the Landmark

sgtbigb

Well this is day 3 day of our first outing in the new Landmark. First day got to site, tried to drop the front legs...nothing happen , the hydraulic level indicator indicated that voltage reading was 11.7 volts. battery was dead. I just 200 miles and the battery was fine when we left, so I was a lost on why batteries was dead. I called Heartland CS who stated the convertor is probaly the problem. Gave me name of dealer to call. Call dealer was ask me to bring it in. Long story short it was the convertor, some how during our trip the plug was unplug:confused: Well we was lucky because the dealer did not have 80 amp convertor in stock. 2nd day I found that our gray tank dump valve is stuck open:mad: now we found that our domestic model 1350 refrigerator reads 50 degees in daytime and night goes down to 45 then back to 50 during the day:confused: so you can see it's not going to good so far. I hope this all I have to deal with this trip:angel:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Well this is day 3 day of our first outing in the new Landmark. First day got to site, tried to drop the front legs...nothing happen , the hydraulic level indicator indicated that voltage reading was 11.7 volts. battery was dead. I just 200 miles and the battery was fine when we left, so I was a lost on why batteries was dead. I called Heartland CS who stated the convertor is probaly the problem. Gave me name of dealer to call. Call dealer was ask me to bring it in. Long story short it was the convertor, some how during our trip the plug was unplug:confused: Well we was lucky because the dealer did not have 80 amp convertor in stock. 2nd day I found that our gray tank dump valve is stuck open:mad: now we found that our domestic model 1350 refrigerator reads 50 degees in daytime and night goes down to 45 then back to 50 during the day:confused: so you can see it's not going to good so far. I hope this all I have to deal with this trip:angel:

We had to plug our converter in also. Appears someone was asleep on the assembly line. For the reefer, open the top access panel on the outside of the trailer and make sure the fans are plugged in.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A tip... buy a cheap battery charger and carry it with you. If the converter ever goes out pug the battery charger in and hook it to the battery. It will get you by until you can get it fixed. Having the battery charger with you will also permit charging the TV battery as well.

sgtbigb

Well I called Dometic for the problem with refigerator. They explain that then most efficient and effective method is while unit is operating on LP. When unit is on auto it will seek to operate on 120 volt first option. She ask me to switch to LP.
Which i did. The unit is down to 40 degrees, wow maybe this was the problem! She explain that operating the unit on LP was the best option for the RM 1350!
At

kkamshop

Congrats Gene & Song on your new Landmark! Hope you are working out all the "bugs" on this first trip, Happy trails!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Well I called Dometic for the problem with refigerator. They explain that then most efficient and effective method is while unit is operating on LP. When unit is on auto it will seek to operate on 120 volt first option. She ask me to switch to LP.
Which i did. The unit is down to 40 degrees, wow maybe this was the problem! She explain that operating the unit on LP was the best option for the RM 1350!
At

While I am glad the LP worked for you I do not see this as a good answer from Dometic for your problem. We have the same refer and I always run it on electric and so far, (knocking on wood now) we haven't had any issues. We do need to keep on eye on the lower left door to make sure it gets shut tight. Good luck Gene and Song.

Mark

Northern Virginia
Our refrigerator works okay. The temps do seem to go all over the place, even when weather isn't a factor. I have found the biggest culprit is the door not closing all the way (I guess that would be called operator error) But it is easy to do. Like Mark said, the lower left door will want to hang open a little. It looks likes it closed but it's not.

If you have any thing in the door shelf sticking out past the shelf or anything on the main shelf sticking past, it will push back on the door (just a tiny little bit) but it is enough that the seals won't make good contact and the door is effectively open. When that happens, temps quickly rise into the 40's.

I now make a habit on pushing on the doors everytime I walk by and always making sure nothing sticks past the shelves. When you are mindful of this, everything seems to work much, much better.

As a side note, I also insulated the top of the fridge, made the top vent baffle and hot wired my fans so they were always on and nothing made a bigger difference in fridge temps than making sure the doors were always able to close tightly.

Good luck,
John

danemayer

My converter was also unplugged. I plugged it in and later tied down the cord per a suggestion on another thread in case it had vibrated out of the socket. A $50 battery charger from Walmart was the handy interim fix - and will be used for battery maintenance while the unit is in storage.

Our refrigerator (14 cu ft) was somewhat erratic. I picked up a refrigerator fan ($10) at camping world and take care to make sure the air can circulate freely. Temp generally stays around 34. It sometimes goes to 40 after loading groceries.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you set your refrigerator on Auto it should automatically go to propane or electric depending if you are plugged in or not. In other words the default is 110 v AC but if that is not available then it will go to Gas (propane). AUTO is the normal setting to run it on.

mikeandconnie

We moved from San Antonio to Santa Barbara last month... our 1350 ran about 38 to 44 during the day with a lot of use, now in the cooler tempertures it's 33 to 38.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I also think Dometic is dropping the ball by saying you need to use the refer on propane. I don't think Heartland would install a unit that couldn't be used efficiently either way...that is what they are designed to do! We have a BC 3450 with a smaller refer but it does work fine either way!

Best Wishes!

sgtbigb

Yes u r right it should work both ways. I wiu take to a Domectic repair facility when I get back home'

Vtxkid

Congrads on your new Lanmark, sgtbigb. Hopefully what issues you have will be the only ones you have to deal with.
As far as the frig, we use 110 volt when ever possible and I check the refrigerator temp occasionally and it seems to be pretty stable and in the right range. I will tell you that when I pull the RV out front, I switch it over to gas and last time I did that, the new gas bottle I had just filled prior to that, stopped working overnight (check light on) and I didn't have the back-up bottle on. I remembered that the attendent at BJ's that filled the bottle told me that when you have to purge a new bottle that some times you don't get all the air out and while being used the air in the tank over comes the gas. You might have to open the purge screw on the side of the valve assy to release the air until it starts turning cold again. So I did just that after I found out the refrig quit working. Afterwards, its been fine ever since...

sgtbigb

good news it seem my kitchen gray tank dump valve has become unstuck, its not leaking anymore. the frig is down to 34 degrees but still LP. I am thinking about switching over to auto and see what happens. Anybody know how the welcome home aisle light suppose to work? it will not come when open the door or switch.

jbeletti

Gene,

Sounds like your Welcome Back Light feature is broken.

Here's how mine works:

1. The wall switch when ON, turns the light on and over-rides the welcome back feature
2. When the wall switch is OFF, the welcome back feature is enabled
3. When the exterior door is closed, then you return to the RV and open the door, enter, then shut the door, the welcome back light should turn on. It stays on for a couple of minutes, then goes off

So - it's all about 2 things:
1. The wall switch being OFF
2. The exterior door being closed, then opened for you to walk into the RV, then closed behind you. Then it will turn the light on.

Like I mentioned, sounds like your system is bad as your light will not come on, even manually. Add it to your punch list and take the RV in when it's convenient for you and Song to do so or when you have some items on your list that are significant enough to wait no longer.

Jim

sgtbigb

Well, I just switch RM 1350 over from LP to auto. The temp was 35 degrees when I switched. Temp outside is a cool 70 degrees . Let u know if holds.

navyAZ1

Hey Gene, you forgot to mention the rain down pour that took place while you were setting up! Ann and I enjoyed seeing y'all again we made it to our new site safely, and boy is this the easiest money I have ever made!

sgtbigb

You are right about the rain, however I never notice because of the fustration. Well the RM1350 is still holding 35 degrees on Auto. I will leave it on auto as long as it holds.