Hydraulic Breaker???

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
After talking to Bob Tige from Lippert who installed our Level-Up system last year, he said we need to replace the 60amp auto-resetting breaker with and 80amp, as ours is getting weak and is causing the system to constantly "stop" in mid-stream. We have to allow it to constantly allow it to reset to get the legs and/or the slides to finish coming in or going out...

The problem...can't find anything bigger than a 50amp breaker...does anyone know where we can locate an 80 amp auto-resetting breaker that goes on the "breaker bar" below the hydraulic pump system??:confused:

jbeletti

While not an official answer from Heartland, this is all I can find at 80 amps of an auto-resetting type:

181080F-11.jpg
Cooper Bussman 181080F (80 amp, auto-resetting)

$20 (or more) - http://www.burnstines.com/80-amp-auto-reset-circuit-breaker.html

I scoured online for an 80 amp item in the same package/form factor as the 60 amp item we use and could not find it. Nor do I know what brand we use for the 60 :(

Good luck Kathy. Hope others can weigh in on what they found and where they found it.

kakampers

Jim...that will be our second option if we can't find an 80...not sure where to put the 30 though?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I recall looking for one back when, based on posts about problems (haven't had that happen yet). But looking at the size of the ones out there, it might be necessary to install another larger buss to handle the replacements and jumper it back to the OEM buss. Funny, Lippert recommends going to an 80A breaker but has no information on where to get one that fits.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Jim...that will be our second option if we can't find an 80...not sure where to put the 30 though?

I hope you were joking. You can't put circuit breakers in series like they were resistors. A 30A breaker in series with a 50A breaker is exactly the same as a 30A breaker alone.

Tom of Ypsi

I hope you were joking. You can't put circuit breakers in series like they were resistors. A 30A breaker in series with a 50A breaker is exactly the same as a 30A breaker alone.

Guess we all learned something today. Seems I read about putting two 50's together to make 100 but guess that is not the case.

Willym

Guess we all learned something today. Seems I read about putting two 50's together to make 100 but guess that is not the case.
In theory, two 50's in parallel would give you 100, if you could guarantee equal current flow between the two. However, I'm not sure how the breakers would behave in practice.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Yup, I think Jim Gratz actually did this to fix this problem, and I think he just had a senior moment :D when he said "series" instead of parallel.

jnbhobe

When I had a Keystone puoduct with this type of problem with the slides Lippert said to put two 50's in parallel, It worked at the time !!

RollingHome

I know I've read this type thread before. I also know what folks are saying Lippert told them to install a larger breaker... But. If the wire or cable is sized for a 50 amp circuit correctly (probably a number 8 or 6 AWG size wire)... it absolutely should not be put on a 80 amp breaker - ditto with 2 - 50's in parrallel (this would/should not ever be suggested). I know when this call was made by whoever they were thinking it's only intermitant duty and a quick use... But. What if a short were to develope when you were sleeping ? A wire that can only handle 50 + amps or so is now allowed to cook because of a 80 amp breaker. This could result in a fire. I know it will work as long as everything is working right... But. Breakers are used and needed when things don't work right. In fact, if everything is working right a breaker is not even needed. A 50 amp breaker that trips on a 50 circuit is either weak (yep, breakers get tired and need to be replaced - even in stick & brick homes) or there is a problem with the circuit (maybe even a design problem). Over sizing a circuit breaker is a definite NO NO. I for one would not EVER do it NEVER. This diatribe is not my opinion it is electrical fact and I believe other forum sparkys will back me up.

Tom

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

How about in Parallel...always get series and parallel confused.

kakampers

We have no intention of increasing the size of the breaker without increasing the gauge of the wire....

Northern Virginia
Here's one similar to the OEM but it's 100 amp:
EP79479034.jpg http://www.cameraworld.com/product/EP79479034.htm
and another at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-CB18...1_403?s=STORE&ie=UTF8&qid=1285207306&sr=1-403

I found an 80 amp, but it is a manual reset. It is the exact same style as the one pictured. This may work since the objective to changing over to a higher amp fuse is so it won't blow to begin with. http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-CB185-80-High-Amp-Breaker/dp/B001PTBVLW/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

John

Last edited:

Northern Virginia
You may not need to increase the wire size IF it is already rated for higher amps. The breaker may just be undersized. I read on a similar thread today that it is rated for 100 amps. I would want to verify that, of course, before changing it out. (//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...rk-help-wanted?p=121091&viewfull=1#post121091)

kakampers

UPDATE...we finally got a new, heavier breaker installed, but we decided to use a manually re-setting breaker. Everything is operating beautifully now with no lag or stopping....life is good again! Until the next "crisis" that is...LOL!!

kakampers

We used a 100 amp breaker, don't know who makes it...found it at one of the Auto Stereo stores that install those monster amplifiers....

Northern Virginia
Were you able to use the OEM style breaker or did you have to use the type like Jim pictured?