Going it alone against the wind

I'm an avid motorcycle rider and am looking at buying a Cyclone 3010 or Road Warrior 305 toy hauler 5th wheel so I can take my cruiser on vacation w/ me and go when and where I please. I am very independent and love to travel. A couple of my family members own 5th wheel campers and double tow their toys; so I have some experience with towing/camping. I just got back from Sturgis and camping/sleeping on the ground for 5 days and riding almost 2000 miles in a week. No more of that tent camping for me!! I was wondering if you all ,that have alot more experience than I do w/ 5th wheels, think a woman can handle the hook up/unhook by herself. Is there anyone else out there that travels alone..male or female that can give me some advice. I have yet to decide whether I will order a new Duramax 2500 or 3500. A few of my male friends say get the 3500 for a few hundred $$ more. Thanks.

I'm a biker and am looking at buying a Cyclone 3010 to travel with my motorcycle. I'm very independent and love to travel so I think this would be the perfect set up for me. I just got back from 5 nights in a tent and close to 2000 miles on the bike *Sturgis. Tent camping is not my thing. My dad and bro both have 5th wheels and they double tow their toys behind them. I have towed before but never a 5th wheel camper. I have done a lot of camping too. I was wondering if all you people out there think that a woman can handle the hook-up/unhook by herself? Add a wheel chock for the bike and I'm ready to go!! I think the 5th wheel will be a lot easier for me to handle alone, rather than a travel trailer. I am decideing whether or not to order the Duramax 2500 or 3500 for a few hundred $$ more. The guys at work say go for the 3500 and so does my son.

2010augusta

I have found hitching/unhitch and set up of the 5er, much easier than any trailer. It pulls so much better than bumper pulls. I say go for, and in the voice of Rob Schinder "You caan dooo it!"

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My 38 foot Landmark 5th wheel is easier to tow than my daughters 31 foot bumper pull Trail Runner travel trailer. If the roads are good you sometimes even forget it is there. You will need at least a 1 ton F350 or 3500 to pull the Cyclone. A F450 would be better. Also I would recommend a dually. IMHO Good luck looking.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
With just a littlie instruction it will be a piece of cake docking alone. In my opinion with the hitch over the axle it pulls nicer and is easier to back up. As far as 2500 verses 3500. " It is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it". Good luck in your search.

Cool thanks. My son has a F350 HD Powerstoke CC But since I work for GM I will buy a Duramax, prob not a dually since it's going to be my everyday vehicle for a while too. I looked at the Cyclone, Raptor and Fuzion side by side and I have say the Cyclone seems to have everything I need plus some!

Thanks. I am beginning to think you're right on the 3500. I need to test drive one of those then jump back into the 2500. May not notice any diff.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I don't handle a toy hauler, but I have no problem with a C4500 and 40' Bighorn. Hooking and unhooking, and all the other set-up involved with the 5er is much easier than a TT...and I'm a female on the high-side of 50...if I can do it you can to! Made sure I can handle things just in case something happened to the DH...Good Luck!

watchthebox

We like our Cyclone 3010. It's easy to hook up alone. Easier than a travel trailer. It's trickiest for me backing up, but that will come with time. I have an F250 that tows it fine, but I put Super Springs on to reduce the squat, so I'd recommend getting at least an F350/3500.

flamingknitter

Hi!! I RV solo in a Landmark with a Chevy 3500 dually. Your story sounds similar. Everyone in my extended family has 5th wheels and I had to get one too if I wanted to keep up. The first year I followed them around and went out about once a month from April to October. The second year, I made one long trip from California to Wyoming and back and then stayed stationary while I waited for the 8th grandbaby to arrive. This year, I have been baby wrangling that 8th granddaughter and haven't been out much.

I always hook/unhook by myself. I have a system and don't want to drop the trailer or muck anything up. It isn't hard to do. Backing is a little harder. You either need to enlist someone from the campground or get out and look all the time. Most campgrounds I have stayed at had pull thru sites but RVers are friendly people and happy to help. The forum is an incredible place to get advice and help. If I was buying a new truck to tow a tow hauler or a new Landmark, it would definitely be another one ton dually unless I could find a nice 4500.

Feel free to PM me if there is anything else you need help with.

flamingknitter

I travel solo and have a Landmark which I tow with a Chevy 3500 dually. I have used the dually as a daily driver from time to time and I have to admit, that I really like the way it handles and the ride is pretty comfortable. My other car is a Chevy Avalanche and the cab of the dually is definitely bigger and more comfy when hauling people around. Don't let the size of the truck dissuade you from getting the truck you need. Bigger is almost always better!! JK.

I am responsible for everything on my rig. I hook and unhook which is pretty straight forward and the easiest part of getting on the road. I don't understand why more women don't take their rigs out alone. Deb (slmayor) and her friends take their 5ers out for girls weekends once or twice a year. This year at the Jackson rally, we were talking about a bunch of women towing their fifthwheels to get together and do crafty things. I wasn't lucky enough to have a husband to teach me how to drive the beast so I took a lesson. Made me feel a lot more confident about hitting the road with 17000 pounds and 40 feet of trailer!

PM me if you have questions.

WilmanJim

We camp host at Santee Lakes, in Santee CA. and every year we have a RV Club called. L.O.L.O.W's. Little Old Ladies On Wheels. They come in everything you can think of. From 45' Motorhomes to Goldwings with trailers. Talking to some of them and some have been doing it for over 40 years.
For us we really enjoy the Lifestyle and Love traveling this Beautiful Country.
You sound like our Daughter, Ms. Independent. :angel:
Good Luck on your decision and Safe Travels whatever you decide.

Jim and Wilma

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
What I do to back up is tip the hitch forward and the plate make a 'V'. I center the 'V' on the kingpin. Then when I get close I will stop, level it and make any height adjustments and finish backing making the connection. Works every time for me and I have a crew cab and can still see it out the back window.

hmmm..I'll have to remember that. I also watched a video on you tube last night about making a "T" w/ yellow tape and lining it up that way, too.

Moose

I would definitely go with the 3500 with air bags to help.

Good luck and good travels.

Sailor

I would sugest that you consider getting auto leveling if it is offered, it will make you setup much easier.

Manke3010

I know there are a lot of 1 ton+ TV owners here, but owning the trailer you're looking to buy, and towing it with a CCSB Duramax with airbags, I can say it's a great setup.
I daily drive my truck. My dad has a CCLB and that extra 2 feet is a pain in the butt trying to daily drive and park in parking lots.
Now I wouldn't buy any more trailer to tow with this truck (even though many do, and that's fine), but I think it's a great combo. If I didn't daily drive it, then I'd go with a 1 ton dually.

Being that you work for GM, if you are going to be buying the brand new '11's, I'm going to guess a lot of the people posting (I'm seeing mostly ford/dodge owners) may not be aware of the added "beef" and increased capacities that GM added to the new HD's. The CCSB 2500 is capable of 17,800 lbs 5'ver as listed and you won't see that weight as you're buying a 14k gvwr trailer in the 3010 model. Of course you get 21k+ with the new dually and that's great if you choose that route.

Can you get me a good price on a new '11?!! haha... I want one :)

Good luck with everything. You'll love the Cyclone, and you can handle it. After a handful of trips out in it, it'll be a piece of cake for ya.

jbeletti

I want to echo what sailor said about getting the auto-leveling system. It's REALLY nice and saves you time and trouble with leveling blocks/boards. Note though that Heartland does not offer this for our toyhauler line. You'd want to be looking at LevelUp from Trailair (a Lippert company) or the Bigfoot system by Quadra. These would be done as an after market upgrade by you or through your selling dealer if they have contacts in Elkhart.

Jim