Sound insulation in generator compartment

branson4020

Icantre Member
Getting ready to install generator. Installation instructions recommend sound insulation inside the sheet metal enclosure. Can anyone with a factory or professionally installed genset tell me if their compartment is insulated?

Northern Virginia
I can tell you I did insulate mine after I had already installed the generator (why I didn't do it before I don't know) and it made a big difference. I also removed the front bulkhead wall and insulated the back side of the sheet metal enclosure.

I used 1" duct liner. High temperature and fire resistant. After using both air conditioners on generator power for 10+ hours on a 100 degree day, the insulation looks the same as the day I installed it. It is much quieter and I glad I went to the trouble to do it.

I posted some pics in this thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...ll-from-dealer?p=127434&viewfull=1#post127434

John

porthole

Retired
Mine is factory installed and not insulated. And I doubt I will go through the trouble, just isn't very noisy. I would say noise wise, it is about on par with my Honda 3K IS

Northern Virginia
Mine wasn't very noisy either, I just wanted it so quiet the noise police in the National Forest wouldn't know I had it on. Unless you walk up to the camper and are standing beside it, you can't tell I have at the generator on.

Some of the tree hugging, hairy armpit, granola types have taken over the rules committee in some of the NF campgrounds. They actually have "generator free" sections in many of the campgrounds. I have pulled into campsites and the sight of the diesel truck and 40' 5th wheel has caused a couple of people to pack up their tent and granola into their Prius and move.

A couple of weeks ago someone actually ask me to keep my dogs in the camper as they didn't like dogs. At the time they were sleeping (tied up) under a tree in the campsite.
Anyway, we try to be as quiet as we can be and the generator compartment insulation makes a big difference.

John