MPG Lug Removal/Tightening

Lax27

Think I have figured out that I need a 20mm socket to remove/tighten my lugs however seems like i need a really thin sock/lug wrench. Does the middle of the hub have a cap that comes off first? Would think my standard four way lug wrench should work but the ends can't fit into the narrow space between the lug nuts and the "hub cover." Thanks.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Lax27, I don't have an MPG but I do have the same issue with the wheels on my Bighorn. I went out and bought an impact socket specifically for my lugs. At the time, I had a bench grinder. I ground down the circumference of the socket so it would fit in the hole enough to completely engage the lug nut. I carry it with me at all times when traveling with the rig.

brains77396

On my 186, a 13/16 deep-well thin-wall socket fits, using a extension with a breaker bar. Yes, the center cap pops off but does not have to be removed to reach the lug nuts. Behind the center cap is a zerk fitting you use to grease the wheel bearings. No need to take the wheel assembly apart to grease the bearings. Also, be sure you take along a socket that fits the nut that lowers the spare tire. After removing the retainer nut, the spare drops down on a cable like those on most pick-ups. I carry a 3/8's ratchet with a 3/4" socket for that.

Think I have figured out that I need a 20mm socket to remove/tighten my lugs however seems like i need a really thin sock/lug wrench. Does the middle of the hub have a cap that comes off first? Would think my standard four way lug wrench should work but the ends can't fit into the narrow space between the lug nuts and the "hub cover." Thanks.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Your lug nuts are not metric. Get a good 1/2" 13/16 thin wall deep socket, a 1/2"... 6" extension and a 1/2" breaker bar to keep in the coach.