RM 1350 Frig

sburks

First time user. Amazed by the number of messages detailing the same problem that I have. Some dating back to '07. Would think that Heartland or Dometic would have figured this out. Here is my problem:

I have a '10 Heartland Big Horn with a Dometic RM-1350, four door frig installed. I made this purchase Feb, '10. Obviously the first two trips made were in the cool weather and the frig worked OK. The last three trips have been in the warm to hot weather and the Dometic frig simply does not work correctly. Temp in the freezer is OK but in the lower half, temp will go from 38 to 54 degrees, sometimes staying at 50+ for days. Returned the RV to the dealer for repair. After 8 days in the shop, adding insulation around the unit, adding baffles to the top and bottom, and replacing a 140 degree switch with a 60 degree one, the unit was declared fixed. Brought unit home, same problem. Nothing fixed. Imediately return the RV to the dealer.

Contacted Dometic this morning, the have told the dealer to replace the control board and the thermistor (whatever that is). In Dometic's reply to me, the said and I quote " To be honest, this sounds to be an installation (venting) issue and replacing the refer will not solve this type of problem. " Sounds like a lost cause.

Other than hanging a fan on my RV, is there anyone that has fixed this problem?

Thanks...Steve

sdagro

First time user. Amazed by the number of messages detailing the same problem that I have. Some dating back to '07. Would think that Heartland or Dometic would have figured this out. Here is my problem:

I have a '10 Heartland Big Horn with a Dometic RM-1350, four door frig installed. I made this purchase Feb, '10. Obviously the first two trips made were in the cool weather and the frig worked OK. The last three trips have been in the warm to hot weather and the Dometic frig simply does not work correctly. Temp in the freezer is OK but in the lower half, temp will go from 38 to 54 degrees, sometimes staying at 50+ for days. Returned the RV to the dealer for repair. After 8 days in the shop, adding insulation around the unit, adding baffles to the top and bottom, and replacing a 140 degree switch with a 60 degree one, the unit was declared fixed. Brought unit home, same problem. Nothing fixed. Imediately return the RV to the dealer.

Contacted Dometic this morning, the have told the dealer to replace the control board and the thermistor (whatever that is). In Dometic's reply to me, the said and I quote " To be honest, this sounds to be an installation (venting) issue and replacing the refer will not solve this type of problem. " Sounds like a lost cause.

Other than hanging a fan on my RV, is there anyone that has fixed this problem?

Thanks...Steve

The hanging fan don't work all the time either. Just keep reading the post on this topic. They are everywhere. I am awaiting my 3rd fridge in my 2011 3670 bought in April. GOOD LUCK with your problem. iF YOU ARE ANYONE HAS A TRUE FIX, PLEASE LET US ALL KNOW. Steve A. Dagro

2010augusta

IF YOU ARE ANYONE HAS A TRUE FIX, PLEASE LET US ALL KNOW.

You want a "true" fix? MOVE out of the south. We had some issues last year spending the summer in TX, but not a single issue all year here in WA. :cool:

There is a "rumor" that Heartland has started using the Norcold ultraline 1210 instead of the rm 1350 in the new units, because of the ongoing issue with the Dometic unit.

2010augusta

After 8 days in the shop, adding insulation around the unit, adding baffles to the top and bottom, and replacing a 140 degree switch with a 60 degree one, the unit was declared fixed.

Steve can you find out a part number and supplier for the replacement switch? I know many on this forum would be interested in that info.

P.S. welcome to the forum and I hope your issue gets resolved.

sdagro

You want a "true" fix? MOVE out of the south. We had some issues last year spending the summer in TX, but not a single issue all year here in WA. :cool:

There is a "rumor" that Heartland has started using the Norcold ultraline 1210 instead of the rm 1350 in the new units, because of the ongoing issue with the Dometic unit.

UNTRUE. Emailed Kary from Heartland and he told me that John from Lakeshore RV had "MISINFORMED". They are NOT replacing the 1350 with the Norcold 1210.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like your refer is a real problem. I don't know if this will help, but here are a couple of pictures of the baffle that I made and installed on my RM-1350. I am curious if it is the same as what your repair guy installed. I made this based on what I thought would work best.
I don't know if I just got a refer that actually works or if the baffle helped.
Check it out and compare with yours.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• baffle.jpg
    baffle.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 80
  • baffle 2.jpg
    baffle 2.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

ChopperBill

Knocking on wood. Ours ran for 5 months straight on level 5 and never got above 39 degrees and that was after we filled it with warm items. stayed between 32 and 34 most of the time. The power was even off several times and it had switch to gas with no problem. Will say we were at 9000 feet and I dont think the temps got above 85 degrees.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bill, you jogged my memory. I forgot to mention that I have it set on level 4 and temps are 34 normal and upper 30's when opening the doors a lot. Even when the outside temps are in the 90's.

Peace
Dave

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Welcome to the dometic rm1350 unhappy owners club. Our membership is growing. If you live above the mason/dixon line, you will not have problems as the ambient temperature is not high enough to cause you any problems. I reported mine on here a month or so ago. Still a project in the works. It is getting better, but still not fixed.
1. Dealer installed metal baffle on the upper outside vent to cover the 2 bottom vent on the grill.
2. Removed the 2 small 4" vent fans on the back of the unit and installed 2 6" vent fans on the top of the unit that blow out. These have a blue light which i can see during daytime and can check if they are working. They are set to run 24 hours a day.(rated at 30,000 hours) hmmmmmmmm, how many days till i have to change them?
Also put solid foam insulation on top of the fridge from the outside.
They have new door gaskets ordered and if they do drop the temp. A few degrees, my problem may be fixed! If not my wife is getting a new fridge or new rv or i have to leave..........

sdagro

Welcome to the dometic rm1350 unhappy owners club. Our membership is growing. If you live above the mason/dixon line, you will not have problems as the ambient temperature is not high enough to cause you any problems. I reported mine on here a month or so ago. Still a project in the works. It is getting better, but still not fixed.
1. Dealer installed metal baffle on the upper outside vent to cover the 2 bottom vent on the grill.
2. Removed the 2 small 4" vent fans on the back of the unit and installed 2 6" vent fans on the top of the unit that blow out. These have a blue light which i can see during daytime and can check if they are working. They are set to run 24 hours a day.(rated at 30,000 hours) hmmmmmmmm, how many days till i have to change them?
They have new door gaskets ordered and if they do drop the temp. A few degrees, my problem may be fixed! If not my wife is getting a new fridge or new rv or i have to leave..........

Man this is great. Covered it all and added a little humor in to boot. Talked to Shop man today at KMRV. Fridge came in yesterday afternoon. Still in box. I told them to uncrate and let run and I will bring my rig in Monday after I go watch the worst 4-0(probably 5-0 after this weekend)play this weekend in BR.

P.S. You forgot to mention that the LED lights on your new fans are not just blue.....THEY ARE COWBOY BLUE!!!! 30,000hrs=1250 days or nearly 3.5 yrs. Something else will burn out before the fans do. I AM SOOOO POSITIVE!!!!!

Northern Virginia
I have to come believe that the problem with our Dometic 4 door fridge is the center mullion on the refrigerator not sealing properly, especially on the bottom where it cannot be seen. The slightest obstruction (any item on the shelf touching the inside of the door) will push back on the door ever so slightly and the door (at the folding mullion) will not seal and leaks cold air out (and warm air in)

If I can keep this closed and sealed tight, it will stay cold. But this is reallly hard to do as it constantly wants to crack back open and leak cold air.

If you run your hand along the underneath and bottom of the left door (where the door gasket makes contact with the fridge), you can usually feel cold air leaking out.

John

sdagro

I dropped off my Bighorn at dealership yesterday to get my perfectly working refrigerator replaced. Of course it is working great, the outside temp has dropped to the lower 80's. It's amazing how many reports you read on here with the same problems for so long and yet they can't figure it out or don't want to figure it out. I'm sure I will be on Heartland's *** come next May when the summer heat is on. They won't give me a contact person at Dometic to chew on a while. I purchased the 7 yr. extended warranty for all components but I **** sure don't want to constantly be dealing with this issue. Every time I put a costly food item in my fridge I am wondering if this will be the trip it fails and ruins all of my food. Steve

Boomer

I would like to know more about the 6" fans; where you got them, brand, pictures if available and such. I have the 2 4" in my Landmark and the baffle in place. Still no joy. The temperature stays from mid 40's to 50. the outside temp right now is 92 with 40% humidity. Air is just too heavy to move easily. I am going to lean on Dometic tech support tomorrow to see what they say although I feel it is an installation problem. These refrigerators are o designed to go in a slide and I think they need 2 or three more inches of space above the top of the cooling unit to insure a good flow of air up through the fins.

Boomer

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
THE 6" FANS ARE COMMON COMPUTER FANS, RADIO SHACK HAS THEM AND ANY COMPUTER STORE. SEEMS THEY WERE AROUND $15 EACH. I ACCIDENTLY BOUGHT SOME WITH SMALL LED LIGHTS ON THEM, THAT WAY YOU CAN SEE THEM IN DAYLIGHT AND EASILY SEE THEM AT NIGHT. SIMILAR TO THIS PICTURE IF IT COMES OUT.