under cabinet electrical outlet keeps falling off

Rocky

I have a 2011 Greystone 29MK and the downward facing GFCI electrical outlet under the microwave keeps coming out. It does not have an electrical box, but was installed with the two cover plate screws attaching the cover plate and outlet to the thin (1/8" ?) plywood. One of the screws barely caught the edge of the cutout in the plywood. After a few times of unplugging a cord, the screws stripped out of the plywood. Is there is suppose to be an electrical box that the outlet attaches to and it is missing on my unit?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I cant answer your question directly. If was mine, I would make a trip to HD or Lowes. Get a single gang "old construction" plastic electicrical box. Unplug the coach from the 110V or shut off the main breaker. Remove the plug from the rolmex.... put the rolmex through the new box...install the box in the hole...tighten the screws to swing out the "WINGS" that hold the box in.....install the plug and face cover. Its a done deal. BTW, get the shortest (tallest) one the have...or you can modify it with a hacksaw.

Rocky

Great idea with the hacksaw modification. I was thinking about the old-work style box also but concerned it would be too big for my space. There is not any insulation in the under cabinet area so an open back end of the box should not be a problem and the outlet is exposed now anyway.

Thanks again.