Lippert/TrailerFlex Air Suspension Upgrade

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
At the Heartland Owners Rally in Nashville I had our Landmark weighed. The results confirmed the rear axle was carrying more weight than the front axle. The rear axle was carrying 7,450 pounds and the front axle was carrying 5,500 lbs. This difference in axle weights was caused because I was towing the trailer about 2” to 3” nose high to provide enough clearance above the bedrails on a ’08 Chevy CC 3500.

The best solution was to raise the trailer 3” over the axles so that the trailer would tow level. I was already planning to stop in Elkhart and upgrade the Level Up system to an Automatic Level Up, upgrade to a larger airbag on the TrailAir TriGlide Hitch. I contacted TrailAir and they would be able to raise the trailer by cutting the spring hangers off and then welding a 2” or 3” square tube to the frame then welding the spring hangers to the square tube.

I began to research Air Ride Trailer Suspensions in the hopes the trailer could be raised and additional would provide ride height adjustment. The choices of a Trailing Arm Air Ride Trailer Suspension I located on the Internet are as follows, STI LBS Air Suspension, Independent Torsion Air Suspension, Price $ 7,005. Kelderman Air Suspension, Independent Torsion Air Suspension, Price $ 5,900. Lippert/Trailerflex, Solid Axle Air Suspension, Price $ 5,300.

A few days after the Rally I contacted Jim Belleti to ask about the Trailerflex Air Ride system that is on his trailer, so I could obtain a contact name and phone number. Jim gave me Derek Legros‘s name and phone number. Jim also told me the Lippert was partnering with Trailerflex to create a bolt-on aftermarket version of the weld-on version that is on Jim Beletti’s current demo trailer. I contacted Derek who verified the information. Derek put me in contact with Andrew Pocock at Lippert, Phone 574-535-1135. Andrew told me the suspension was priced at $ 5,300.

I then contacted Jerrod Lippert at Lippert to see that I could get a discounted price, since I had worked with him on Rally pricing on the Level UP upgrade. Jerrod had just heard about the suspension and needed to find out additional information and return my call. A few days later Andrew called me back after 6:30 PM and gave me a price that I could not pass up.

Andrew said this would be the first install of the suspension and it would take about a week to finish manufacturing the suspension before it could be installed. The original date set for install was August 3rd. But it was moved back to Thursday, August 5th. The install was set to begin about 9 AM, but did not begin until 3:30 PM, because the fabrication was being completed.

The install began by jacking the trailer up and then removing the tires and the spring suspension. When they removed the spring suspension the wet bolt bronze bushing were worn and one of the Dexter E-Z Flex equalizers fell apart when it was removed from the spring hanger, due to excessive wear on the wet bolt bushing. Next they loaded the Trailerflex-Lippert suspension on a fork lift and moved the new suspension under the trailer, lined up the mounting points and then lifted the suspension to the trailer frame. Then they bolted the suspension to the trailer. Next they hooked up the air lines to the air bags, valves, compressor and air tank. They worked on the suspension install until 8 PM. They noticed the air tank was mounted did not have enough ground clearance and needed to be raised. Also the suspension needed to be aligned. Because the suspension install was not completed and the tires were off the trailer, Andrew allowed us to stay in the trailer at the plant. We were provided with electric and water. The installation resumed at 8 AM on Friday and was completed about 1 PM. Lippert’s goal is to get the suspension installation fine tuned so that it can be completed in about 4 hours.

System Details –
AXLE ALIGNMENT The axles can be aligned where the trailing arm pivot bolt attaches to air suspension frame. The air suspension frame has an oval hole where the pivot bolt goes through the frame. When the trailing arm is assembled to the frame an alignment washer, which is a rectangular washer with a round hole is placed on the bolt. The washer is rectangular on one side and is oval face on the other side with a round hole in the center. The rectangular is mounted on touching the bolt head or nut side of the bolt. The oval face side is place towards the frame side in the oval hole. There are 2 styles of alignment washer, one round hole is centered on oval and the other is the round hole is offset ¼” from the oval. After the pivot bolt is tightened during assembly the alignment washer is then welded to the frame.
COMPRESSOR
It's a Viair unit that has a regulator with a low and high limit on it. It is mounted on the TrailerFlex frame on the off-door- side. There is a 12 volt DC power toggle switch in the Battery Compartment next to the circuit breakers, so It can be turned off in the event of an air leak that would call for air and make the compressor run continuously.

TANK
The air storage tank is mounted to the underside of the coach, up tight against the underbelly, side to side, door side in front of the front axle. It is 5 gallons. I believe I was told it can refill the air bags twice.

ACCESSORY AIR
There is a female air coupling under the frame rail on both sides, just behind the frame drop down. You can use this for two things. First, you can air up tires etc. Second, you can use it to add air into the air system in the event of a compressor failure on the road.

BAGS
There is 1 at each tire position for 4 total. They are Firestone. Each has a rubber stop or overload bumper in them so the unit can ride, in a failure mode, without air in the bag(s).

SHOCKS
There is 1 at each tire position for 4 total. They are Gabriel and appear to be pretty heavy-duty. I assume they are to control/dampen recoil.

AIR CONTROLS
Each side of the coach has 2 small blue-handle valves, side-by-side, just under the frame rail. The front-most valve isolates the front bag on that side. The rear-most valve isolates the rear bag on that side. Same deal for the other side of the coach. So 4 of these air bag isolation valves in total.

On the off-door-side, behind the sewer discharge and ahead of the front-most axle, there is an air-gauge and a 3-way ball-valve. In the normal position, the air system is connected to the bags, to the tank and to the pump. In the dump position, the air is dumped out of the bags only, but not the tank. And the pump does not run, as the tank is not calling for air as it is isolated in the dump mode.

OPERATION
In the normal operation mode, the compressor has charged the tank which has filled the bags. There is a mechanical level air valve on the rear axle, on the off-door-side. This controls how much air goes into the bags based on a predetermined and adjustable level ride height. In the normal mode, the 3-way ball-valve remains in the normal position and the DC power switch to the compressor remains on.

When I setup at a campground, since I have the Lippert Electronic Leveling system (6 points hydraulic plus 2 points electric for stabilization), I unhitch and pull the truck away. I then rotate the 3-way ball-valve to the dump position. The air immediately dumps out of all 4 air bags and the coach drops down in the rear by 3 inches from its normal ride height. I then hit the Auto-Level button on the leveling system and it does its thing. Done

Attachments

• Susp UG 01.JPG
    Susp UG 01.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 629
  • Susp UG 10.JPG
    Susp UG 10.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 531
  • Susp UG 09.JPG
    Susp UG 09.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 521
  • Susp UG 08.JPG
    Susp UG 08.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 492
  • Susp UG 07.JPG
    Susp UG 07.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 519
  • Susp UG 06.JPG
    Susp UG 06.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 538
  • Susp UG 05.JPG
    Susp UG 05.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 511
  • Susp UG 04.JPG
    Susp UG 04.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 511
  • Susp UG 03.JPG
    Susp UG 03.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 538
  • Susp UG 02.JPG
    Susp UG 02.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:

Terry H

Staff member
Here is some additional Photos of the suspension install.

Attachments

• Susp UG 15.JPG
    Susp UG 15.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 376
  • Susp UG 14.JPG
    Susp UG 14.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 364
  • Susp UG 13.JPG
    Susp UG 13.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 373
  • Susp UG 12.JPG
    Susp UG 12.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 385
  • Susp UG 11.JPG
    Susp UG 11.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:

Terry H

Staff member
Lippert/TrailerFlex Air Suspension Upgrade---Part2

We left Lippert on Friday afternoon and were traveling towards Wisconsin and the new suspension was very smooth riding. We had driven about 80 miles on I-80, when a motorcyclist signaled that something was wrong on the trailer. I looked in my left mirror and saw some smoke coming from the wheel well of the trailer. I immediately pulled to the shoulder and stopped. I went backed and looked at the trailer on the driver’s side. The rear wheel was smoking; it appeared to be originating from the brakes or the bearings. I read the temperature of the bearing hub with my IR Thermometer and it was 900 degrees!!:eek: I put some water on the wheel to cool it down and to prevent a fire. I called Andrew to let him know what happened and so he could get a service tech to my location.

It was about 2 hours before the service tech arrived. A few minutes later to our surprise Derek also arrived to help. They removed the driver side rear tire. Then they began to remove the brake hub, but it was difficult to remove. When they did get it removed they noticed the inner bearing was seized to the axle spindle and did not have any grease. They tried and were not successful in removing the bearing. If they were successful in the bearing removal, they could have put a new bearing on the wheel. So on to Plan B, which was to chain up the axle and drive on three wheels back to Lippert in Goshen.

At 8:30 PM we began driving at a maximum of 45 MPH, we exited I-80 and headed east on US 20. Derek and the Lippert Tech, Merrell followed us, we made several stops to check on the tires and bearings. At 12:15 AM Derek called me and told me to stop because he could see sparks coming from one of the right side wheels. I stopped as soon as I could at US 20 and County Road 17. We checked the temperature on the front right and it was over 200 degrees. Which meant the bearing was also going bad. So they removed the tire and chained up the axle. Then we continued on 2 tires at 25 MPH for about 15 miles to the Lippert Plant and arrived at 1:15 PM. We parked in the same location that the install occurred. Then we hooked up electric and water and went to bed.

On Saturday morning we got up after 5 hours sleep and packed to travel to Wisconsin without the Landmark. We needed to be in Wisconsin by 4 PM to check in to a cabin and meet our son, his wife and their son. We were going to attend a Pyrotechnics Guild International convention (PGI) with them for a week.

During the week we were in Wisconsin Andrew kept me updated with the cause of the problem, which was that none of the inner wheel bearings got packed with grease during assembly. Andrew told me Lippert was going to replace the axles, and the tires that were overloaded while towing the trailer back to Goshen. Andrew offered to give us a tour of their axle plant when we returned to Goshen. I told him we planned to take the tour. Also the Lippet techs discovered that the hydraulic front landing jacks had a leak. The front landing jacks were installed the week before at the TrailAir. After Lippert installed the new axles and road tested them they took the trailer back to TrailAir where the front hydraulic jacks were replaced. On the following Saturday, August 14th we arrived back in Goshen and picked up the trailer from TrailAir, and drove to the campground in Elkhart.

All through the process of the install of the new suspension system we received great service. Even after the bearing failures Andrew and his staff and service technicians gave us great service, many times way above our expectations. At times they were more upset and disgusted of the bearing failures than we were. Even after the problems we had we are glad we went with the air ride suspension and would not go back to a spring suspension. The trailer rides much smoother and softer than any trailer suspension we have ever had. The air ride suspension is a very stoutly built unit.

Attachments

• Failed Bearing 05.JPG
    Failed Bearing 05.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 349
  • Failed Bearing 04.JPG
    Failed Bearing 04.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 342
  • Failed Bearing 03.JPG
    Failed Bearing 03.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 331
  • Failed Bearing 02.JPG
    Failed Bearing 02.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 343
  • Failed Bearing 01.JPG
    Failed Bearing 01.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

2010augusta

Re: Lippert/TrailFlex Air Suspension Upgrade---Part2

What are the specs on the axles? 7000 or 8000?

Looks very good. That might be in our future.

Terry H

Staff member
Lippert/TrailerFlex Air Suspension Upgrade---Part 3

On Monday, August 16th we arrived at the Lippert Axle plant in Goshen for the tour of the axle plant. Becky Willis, Quality Manager for the Lippert axle plant met us and took us on a tour of the plant.

She showed us the complete process from cutting the axle tubes to length, bending the proper camber in the axle tube, welding the spindles and hanger brackets to the axle. Also we watched as they powder coated the axles, assembled the bearings and brakes to the axles.

All during the assembly process they have many quality control checks. Including at the end of the tour Becky showed us how they cut the spindles of off 1 percent of day’s production run and then take X-ray images of the axle-spindle weld to assure that though out each day’s production that the quality is consistent.

We were impressed with both the quality of workmanship and components of the axles during the tour. Both Andrew and Becky told us that it is their goal to make the axles assemblies the best in the industry, even better than Dexter Axles.

Attachments

• Axle Tour 09.JPG
    Axle Tour 09.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Axle Tour 08.JPG
    Axle Tour 08.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Axle Tour 07.JPG
    Axle Tour 07.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Axle Tour 06.JPG
    Axle Tour 06.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Axle Tour 05.JPG
    Axle Tour 05.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Axle Tour 04.JPG
    Axle Tour 04.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Axle Tour 03.JPG
    Axle Tour 03.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Axle Tour 02.JPG
    Axle Tour 02.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Axle Tour 01.JPG
    Axle Tour 01.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Terry H

Staff member
Lippert/TrailerFlex Air Suspension Upgrade---Part 3

Additional Plant Tour Photos.

Attachments

• Axle Tour 17.JPG
    Axle Tour 17.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Axle Tour 16.JPG
    Axle Tour 16.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Axle Tour 15.JPG
    Axle Tour 15.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 146
  • Axle Tour 14.JPG
    Axle Tour 14.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Axle Tour 13.JPG
    Axle Tour 13.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Axle Tour 12.JPG
    Axle Tour 12.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Axle Tour 11.JPG
    Axle Tour 11.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Axle Tour 10.JPG
    Axle Tour 10.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Terry H

Staff member
Re: Lippert/TrailerFlex Air Suspension Upgrade---Part 1

Alan,

You can spec just about any size axle depending on th RV it will be mounted on. I spec'ed 8K with 3 1/4' wide brakes.

Last edited:

Terry H

Staff member
Lippert/TrailerFlex Air Suspension Upgrade---Part 4

On August 19th, we were traveling from Oklahoma City to Amarillo and we stopped at a rest area. We noticed we were having a small amount of tire wear on the tire edges. The left side (ODS) tires were wearing on the inside edge and the right side (DS) were wearing on the outside edge. As we continued to Amarillo I noticed when I looked in the mirrors that I could see more of left side of the trailer than the right side of the trailer. It appeared to be tracking to the left a few inches.

I called Derek Legros with TrailerFlex, I told him that I noticed the trailer was tracking to the left and the tires were wearing on the edges. He told me the axles were a little out of alignment. Derek told me that the left and right wheel of each axle should be should be +/- ¼” from each other and from the front of the trailer. We agreed I would not have any problem traveling 360 miles home to Dallas, where I could have the axles aligned. Derek told me that he would be going to Paris, Texas for service call in about 2 weeks, and would then come to my house to help me align the axles. Paris is about 2 hours northeast of Dallas, Texas.

A few days after I arrived home on August 28th, I measured the axle placement on the trailer and determined that the right (DS) front wheel was 3/8“ forward of the left (ODS) front wheel. So I needed to move the right side (DS) of front axle back. I jacked the trailer up, then I removed the right (DS) front tire from the axle, I then cut the welds holding the alignment washers to the frame. Next I supported the axle with a hydraulic jack. Then I loosed the trailing arm pivot bolt and removed it and the alignment washers making mental notes of the type and position of the alignment washers. I then repeated same process with the rear axle.

As I had been keeping in contact with Derek, I told him that I needed some offset washers to complete the axle alignment. We set up a appointment for Saturday, September 11th for him to deliver the offset alignment washers and to assist me getting the axles aligned. After Derek arrived we double checked the axle measurements. We then placed offset alignment washers on the right front axle with the offset hole in the alignment washer to the rear. We then placed the tire on the axle and measured the front axle alignment, which it was then in perfect alignment. On the rear axle after some trial and error fitting of the alignment washer we placed a centered washer on the right rear axle. Mounted the tire and measured, this also brought the rear axle into alignment.

Tightened the pivot bolts. Removed the tires. Welded the alignment washers to the frame. Painted the welded alignment washers. Remounted the tires. Removed the jacks from the trailer. Done! About 6 hours total.

After about 1500 miles of the towing the trailer since the TrailerFlex / Lippert Air Suspension System over various road conditions, the air suspension is definitely a keeper for me. Most of the small to medium bumps cannot be felt in the truck when the trailer goes over the bump. Also the same goes for railroad crossings. Unfortunately there are some roads that are so rough that I do not think any suspension would totally eliminate feeling the bump in the truck. However on those very rough roads the air suspension greatly reduced the feeling the bump in the truck. This observation is based on having driven the same roads with the trailer’s standard spring suspension.

Attachments

• Susp UG 14.JPG
    Susp UG 14.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 100
  • Susp UG 15.JPG
    Susp UG 15.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Re: Lippert/TrailFlex Air Suspension Upgrade---Part 4

Thank you for the thorough write up Terry.
You may recall that I am at the begining stages of looking into air ride for my trailer. The pricing might be a deal breaker (at least from STI) but after reading your posts I am more convinced that air ride is the way to go.

I like the sub assembly but have two questions.
1) I see they retained the original spring hangers and actually used them. It also appears in the pictures that the trailer frame is sitting on top of the sub assembly frame with no gap between them. So it appears that the spring hangers are not carrying any of the weight.
Is that an accurate statement?

2) Did you inquire about disc brakes? If so, why did you choose to go with the 3 1/4" drum.

Thanks again for a great write up.

porthole

Retired

That looks like what I was shown while at TrailAir last month.
Air ride is probably the way to go, especially with a toy hauler where the additional weight in the rear can vary from 0 to the rated 2500 pounds.

If I read correctly there is only one leveling valve? Was there an offer for two - side to side leveling?

By dumping the air when setting up this should give you even more flexibility with the auto level, you are essentially getting 3 more inches of adjustment.

Nice.

Terry H

Staff member
Re: Lippert/TrailerFlex Air Suspension Upgrade---Part 4

Duane,

Yes, just one leveling valve on the rear drivers side axle. I imagine that side to side leveling could be done by adding another valve and re-plumb the air lines, of course for a price. If truly interested please contact Andrew Pocock at 574-535-1125. He can get in touch with Derek Legros to answer any question about the system. He is the designer of this product.

When I had the old spring suspension the coach did lean to the drivers side a few inches. After the install of the TrailFlex suspension it appeared level. So, it is possible the current design levels side to side.

Yes, when I dump the air the frame lowers 3". My DW, who is short, likes it because it is easier to reach the first step when entering the RV.

Last edited:

Terry H

Staff member

1) I see they retained the original spring hangers and actually used them. It also appears in the pictures that the trailer frame is sitting on top of the sub assembly frame with no gap between them. So it appears that the spring hangers are not carrying any of the weight.
Is that an accurate statement?

2) Did you inquire about disc brakes? If so, why did you choose to go with the 3 1/4" drum.

Larry,

The spring hangers are just used to attach the suspension to the RV. The frame of the RV sits on the suspension sub frame. So, the weight is spread out over the full length of the sub frame to RV frame contact area.

I did not inquire about disc brakes because the previous 3 1/4" brakes on the Landmark was working great. My Integrated brake controller will not work with the disc brake converter/controller, and I did not want to add a after market controller. On the previous brakes on the Landmark the controller was set to 9 and had great stopping power. On my previous Big Horn I had 2" brakes and the controller was set on 10, and it the brakes still did not seem adequate for a hard stop from 60 MPH. On the new brakes (3 1/4") with the new suspension the controller is set on 7.5. The 3 1/4" brakes have 50% more shoe to drum contact area. In my opinion 3 1/4" brakes should be standard on any trailer over 14,000 pounds.

Last edited:

SouthernNights

Thanks for making this a sticky Terry.

Lots of good information here to help people (including myself ) to make an informed decision.

On your brakes, I think Dave Yocum has the same setup and is very happy with them. In my case I cant upgrade to the 3 1/4" so my next best (and first choice) is disc.

As you travel, please keep us informed on how the Trail Flex does and opinions you have about it.

Terry H

Staff member

Larry,

Just curious, what is the reason you can not upgrade to 3 1/4" brakes?

Last edited:

SouthernNights

Larry,

Just curious, what is the reason you can not upgrade to 3 1/4" brakes?
Terry,
I was told by the dealer the larger brakes are not available on for the 6k axle. That was a year and a half ago.
Don't no if that is still true or if it didnt even apply back then.

I never pressed the issue, just figured I would switch to disc when the time came.

Terry H

Staff member

The 3 1/4" Brakes are available on 8K axles and maybe available on the 7K axles.

Last edited:

Terry H

Staff member
Re: Lippert/TrailerFlex Air Suspension Upgrade---Part 5

Since I aligned the Lippert/TrailerFlex suspension, I traveled from Dallas to Houston to attend the South Texas Rally and then returned to Dallas. Usually my mileage while towing the Landmark is 9.5 MPG. The trip from Dallas to Houston was 12.3 MPG and the return trip was 10.3 MPG. The total trip was average was 11.3 MPG. So it appears that a properly aligned trailer suspension will improve your towing mileage. If the above towing mileage numbers continue that will be the conformation that the aligned trailer suspension is improving the towing mileage.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Re: Lippert/TrailFlex Air Suspension Upgrade---Part 5

Since I aligned the Lippert/TrailFlex suspension, I traveled from Dallas to Houston to attend the South Texas Rally and then returned to Dallas. Usually my mileage while towing the Landmark is 9.5 MPG. The trip from Dallas to Houston was 12.3 MPG and the return trip was 10.3 MPG. The total trip was average was 11.3 MPG. So it appears that a properly aligned trailer suspension will improve your towing mileage. If the above towing mileage numbers continue that will be the conformation that the aligned trailer suspension is improving the towing mileage.

Makes sense as there would be less resistance from the trailer. BTW it was good to visit with you again at the rally. Wish I could get 12.3 mpg while towing. Maybe once the truck gets broken in.

Terry H

Staff member
Re: Lippert/TrailerFlex Air Suspension Upgrade---Part 5

Well, Jim the 12.3 was a little down hill from 650 ft to 35 ft. My Chevy has 42,000 miles on it. It could be a combo of the truck getting broke in and good alignment on the trailer. Yes, it was great to visit with you and Sheila. Carol and I will be praying for you and your family.

Last edited:

SouthernNights

Re: Lippert/TrailFlex Air Suspension Upgrade---Part 5

Terry, This may be a bit premature but since you worked with Jerrod on the pricing for the Level Up at the Nashville Rally, any chance of Lippert offering this suspension at special pricing at Goshen???