Bicycle Rack

We have a bicycle built for two and would love to take it with us when we camp. Does anyone know of a bike rack for the rear bumper of a fifth wheel that would work? We have a Sundance 3200RE and it has a ladder going to the roof on the passenger side. On a side note I met TXBobcat at the Williamsburg Pottery Campground in July. It was right after we bought our Sundance. He is a great guy and was willing to give some good advice to this new fifth wheel owner. Happy Trails TXBobcat!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Try the Search tab in the upper right hand corner. IF installed "correctly" a bike rack can be mounted safely to the bumper. I beefed up my bumper and installed a 100 lbs generator on top of the bumper with zero issues.

I know that a bike rack can be installed on the bumper. My question is, "is a standard bike rack suitable for a bicycle built for two?" Is there a better alternative?

caissiel

We have a tandom bike that we were carrying behind our trailer.
It's just the right lenght to fit behind.
I have no pics of it behind our Trailer but have included our single bikes one instead.
The bike is not much heavier than an economic heavy frame trail style bike.

Bikes%20on%20Rack.jpgHitch%20Detail%20View.jpgBike%20Held%20With%20Bungiies.jpg

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I know that a bike rack can be installed on the bumper. My question is, "is a standard bike rack suitable for a bicycle built for two?" Is there a better alternative?
Just because you find one that fits/ bolts-up on the factory bumper does not mean it will last very long without the bumper falling off (try Search) and voiding your Heartland frame warretty.

Dmaxcc6spd

I am dissapointed with the strength of our bumper. I had 4 bikes back there and after a few hundred miles, the bumper welds are tearing. Apparantly, there is considerable up and down movement when the trailer takes a bump. I'm really dissapointed because I had seen another Sundance owner towing a big motorcycle on a small trailer from his bumper. I'm planning a steel plate and welding party this spring. As much as bikes cost these days, I don't want to risk losing the bikes.

GOTTOYS

The "Bumper" on most trailers is really nothing more than a container for the sewage hose. If you look on most any forum they are not designed to hold any weight. Many people cut them off and have a new one made of heavier steel tubing with gussets where it attaches to the frame, or they make a hitch that is attached to the frame rails to hold the bike carrier. Hitches and bike carriers should not be attached any other way...Don

caissiel

I had to build my own rack as the pics before indicate. But the bike is not much heavier then a single bike and will fit perfectly across. I have a special longer bar for the tandom bike. The bike rack has been in use since 98 for past 13 years.
As for the bumper attachment I never install anything that will twist the bumper. My hitch only push down or pull and will never hurt the connection of the bumper to the frame.
I see those units that only clamp on the bumper and will tear off the welds at the supports. When there is a 2 ft extension on a 4" tube the forces are multiplied by 6 to make a 30Lbs load feel like 200Lbs and when it jumps up and down it asking for desaster and no reasons warranties are so questionable.
I made a receiver that bolts on the bumper and the stabilizer bar that is plenty strong to hold the 3 bikes we own. When the stabilizers are pressed down the bikes are off anyway.

On my previous trailer I towed my Miata on the trips to florida and never had any problems with a similar hitch that I build myself. .