jumpy motor on landing gear

davelinde

So... I had to replace the switch on my front jacks because it failed. Just finished wiring the new one back and I was looking around in there to figure out if everything was now good.

Well - I noticed that the motor that runs the landing gear seems to barely be bolted in? I mean, when I run the jacks up the torque on the motor lets it lift up a lot (maybe an inch or two). The motor mount looks like it has 4 bolts, but only two of them are bolted.

I'd take a closer look but the whole dang assembly is above the generator compartment so I can only look at it from 3 feet away. Is this jumpy motor a problem waiting to happen or is that how it is supposed to be? If I had to work on this it would be in a really awkward position so I'm not about to just pull it out and inspect for the fun of it. Looking for advice based on experience here.

Last edited:

Pulltab

It should not be that loose. There is usually a little play but an inch is far to much. If you can access it I would get on it before it becomes a necessity and parts requirement.

jnbhobe

It may be the gear reduction box !! It may be plastic with 4 nubs that hold it in place. The nubs may break off if the landing gear has been run all the way in or out and the switch was held on too long. The tourque is too much for the plactic box. There are metal boxes available.

davelinde

If you can access it I would get on it before...

that would be the issue... It's up there on top of the genny compartment and I'm not sure how to get access. If it was more accessible I think I'd pull it and look at it... but in this case I'm concerned that IF I get it off I may never get it back on? Actually an exploded view diagram of this bugger would help me figure out how it can be so jumpy?

And, it is jumping due to torque since it jumps on extending but does not move much on retracting.

noobee

To get at the reduction gear you'll have to remove the generator box... that's what I had to do when I needed to install a replacement (BTW: I didn't reinstall the box as I didn't have a generator).

BTW: after the reduction gear box broke on me 3 times & the motor failed twice, I replaced the whole thing with a system from Ultra-Fab. With this system each leg is independent with its own motor & control switch.

CS

davelinde

To get at the reduction gear you'll have to remove the generator box... that's what I had to do when I needed to install a replacement (BTW: I didn't reinstall the box as I didn't have a generator).

I have a generator... I'd need to see if I can get the box out without taking out the generator too.

PUG

Pug
On my 09 3950 I replaced the motor and drive unit by accessing it through the basement wall. Remove all the screws holding it in and pull it out. It gives much much better access. Something wrong with yours. The one I replaced it with was a slower but heavier duty motor that doesn't pop the breaker. I got it through a dealer and I believe he got it from Lippert.

davelinde

Can you get to it by removing the basement wall?

For sure! I'm sure I would not have thought of that but it looks like it will work.
For sure the generator box is not coming out without the generator coming out - so basement seems the way to go.

I was able to squeeze in and grab the motor. I guess the play is pretty much "only" an inch or so but it is very loose. The motor actually has two bolts that attach to a plate with 4 bolts that seems to attach to something else. The bolts I can get to are all snug - it's back by the "something else" that has the free play. This is not a job for today though... I'll be back when I get some motivation and free time.

Any idea how long it takes to pull the basement wall? Looks easy enough to get out (and probably a bear to get back in?)

2010augusta

Any idea how long it takes to pull the basement wall? Looks easy enough to get out (and probably a bear to get back in?)

there are only about 10 screws that hold the front wall in place. Once the basement is empty, it about a 10 minute job and it goes in pretty easy too.

If you have the Gen prep, then you might consider this mod while you are fixing the motor.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11745-More-storage-fo-those-with-generators

made room to store stuff above the gen-box.

Attachments

• DSCN6416.JPG
    DSCN6416.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN6414.JPG
    DSCN6414.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN6413.JPG
    DSCN6413.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN6412.JPG
    DSCN6412.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 24

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
So... I had to replace the switch on my front jacks because it failed. Just finished wiring the new one back and I was looking around in there to figure out if everything was now good.

Well - I noticed that the motor that runs the landing gear seems to barely be bolted in? I mean, when I run the jacks up the torque on the motor lets it lift up a lot (maybe an inch or two). The motor mount looks like it has 4 bolts, but only two of them are bolted.

I'd take a closer look but the whole dang assembly is above the generator compartment so I can only look at it from 3 feet away. Is this jumpy motor a problem waiting to happen or is that how it is supposed to be? If I had to work on this it would be in a really awkward position so I'm not about to just pull it out and inspect for the fun of it. Looking for advice based on experience here.

I don't know if yours is like mine but I saw the motor moving way too much also. The movement seemed like it will break the gear housing if left like that. I made a motor support to stop 90% of the movement ( some flat strap and a 2 3/8" fence post bracket worked out well).

Attachments

• LanMoSup.JPG
    LanMoSup.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 37