Front landing gear

C

Craig Marten

We brought our new Landmark Grand Canyon home Friday. We are so in love with it. I love the hydraulic landing gear but have one concern. I have not been able to figure out how to keep someone from walking up to the unit, opening the door and lowering or raising the front of the trailer. When I put the unit in storage last night I was reasured that with the battery disconnect off the front jacks are disabled.

Does anyone know of a hidden switch.

Craig Marten
New Owner
Edmond OK

J

Jeff

Battery Disconnect!

Hi Craig:

Yes, if you turn the battery disconnect to off, your electrical system as far as the battery is concerned is dis-abled.

However, you should consider removing the battery completely and storing it in a cool dry place till you are ready to start the camping season. Saves the battery from freezing and it will last longer as well. But, remember, don't store it by setting it on concrete or on the garage floor.

Take Care.

Jeff

merlinb

Retired
Yes, the front landing gear WILL NOT work if the battery disconnect switch is OFF; even if you have the power cord connected to your tow vehicle and the 12-volt power is on. We had a driver who brought a damaged Landmark back from Florida, arrived at our yard in Elkhart late at night and, apparently, could not figure out how to make the landing gear work. The lock on the battery compartment door was very stiff and difficult to operate. So, I don't know if he was unable to get it open or if he just did not know he had to go in there to turn the switch on. I guess he got totally frustrated because he apparently extended the leg extensions as far as they would go, put a few small blocks of wood under them (but not enough), unlocked his hitch and drove out from under the trailer dragging the front cap on his bed rails and causing some additional damage for the factory to repair. What a Dork.

However, when you are camping you can't turn the battery switch off and since I am paranoid about things like that I think I would install some kind of internal switch or disconnect to disable the outside switch.

wim

Landing Gear

hi Craigyou can use a spring loaded keyswitch, in sted of the manual swich.
key switches are used in the garage door bussines.
I have done this acouple of years ago with my slide room switch.
works great.

good luck,
Wim:)

Susieq

'MythBusters on TV said they proved it is only a myth about not putting batteries on concrete. Their test showed 'no difference'. JUst another one of those things e were all told when we were young.....LOL

jpmorgan37

When I went to a training seminar put on by Gould, one of the things that was discussed was putting batteries on concrete. Several factors were brought up. One was that it usually lowered the temperature of the battery which also lowered it available CCA. The other was that it could cause a battery to sweat thereby allowing for a conductive path to ground which would cause it to discharge. I think that there were a couple of other things too, but I don't remember what they were. At any rate, I don't store batteries on concrete, or leave my tires parked on concrete, but that's another topic that has been well covered.

John

lavadg

I own a cyclone but here are my suggestions….assuming we have the same landing gear

The wiring for the landing gear has a fuse near the switch….they are hard to find/locate but this would turn off the landing gear if you pulled the fuse.

You could also put a lock on the switch door….they could still force it open but may stop some people.

Remember…you can manually raise/lower your landing gear…all you need is the right tool….so just turning the power off isn’t going to stop everyone.

I would also add a lock to the king pin and buy a wheel lock(s)…like a “boot”.

Good insurance is the key…if it gets stolen…you get a new one.

Last edited: