cross member on spring hangers by Lippert

Bobby A

Had the mobile tech from Lippert out today to replace my leaky air bags on the c/p system. The tech who was GREAT, efficient and prompt, also installed/ welded cross members on the spring hangers from door side to off door side on both axles, he said on some coaches the hangers had been known to flex. I'm not trying to open a can of worms hear, just wondering if anyone else has had this repair. I have to say Lippert has stepped up to the plate ever time when asked to,and have went over and above. I asked the tech if he could check the torque on the u-bolts while he was under there, which he did, he said the bigger u-bolts that I have require the torque to be between 80 and 90 foot pounds. Just an FYI for those of us that have the bigger u-bolts, it not 65 foot pounds like the smaller ones.

Thanks,
Bobby A

Tom of Ypsi

We also had the the cross members welded on our spring hangers. We were told by the repair guy and the repair facility it was a design flaw that allowed our frame to develop linear cracks due to the excess flexing of the hangers. On one crack I could see right through the frame.

Bobby A

O.k. sounds like others have heard of this repair, wow Tom, did you notice this crack or did a repair guy ?? You must of had the hole hanger replaced also ?? Mine must of not had any cracks cause the tech didn't say anything about cracks. Lonnie if you wanna PM me with your e-mail address I will try to send you some pics if your still interested. I don't know how to do it hear on the forum. Lippert is doing the right thing hear, I gotta give them credit because I would of never known about it. I pray our 1200 mile journey south this year will be better than last year, with the new c/p system, upgraded u-bolts that are properly torqued and 8K springs, I'am confident our trip should be uneventful.

Tom of Ypsi

IMG_0014.jpgIMG_0015.jpgBobby, I noticed the cracks but only after I had a tire failure and I was changing the tire. The inside on two of my tires had all of the lettering worn off from the flexing. Here are a couple of pics of my frame

fljlcw

Hi Tom Trish and I were at RV capitol the same time you were would like to know how they finally fixed your frame Fred

Bobby A

View attachment 10295View attachment 10296Bobby, I noticed the cracks but only after I had a tire failure and I was changing the tire. The inside on two of my tires had all of the lettering worn off from the flexing. Here are a couple of pics of my frame

Thanks Tom, I'll keep an eye on it, I was conserned about the shocks rubbing on the tires because of the flex and shocks being so close to the tire. The tech told me that should not happen.

Tom of Ypsi

Hi Fred & Trish.

They took pieces of 1/4" plate and welded them to the frame. They did this on both sides of the frame and then added the cross memebers as others have stated. I upgraded to 8K axles while I was there also. I am told that it is safe now but after seeing what it was like I watch the mirrors more than the road, still not comfortable with the trailer anymore. Did you get your truck finished? Pics are needed if completed. Take care and if possible cme to the HL rally in Spring, Tx.

fljlcw

Hi Tom no had to put truck on back burner for awhile not sure if we will get down to Spring this year sure would like to though put enough steel on it should be o.k. Fred