Tow Vehicle Decision

pbirdsong

We are towing our 3055RL with a Dodge 2500 diesel 4WD and are concerned that the truck may be a bit small for the Bighorn. The rig is weighing at about 12750# before putting all of our personal gear, food and clothes on board. We just completed a 5000 mile trip, and I noticed that when the automatic transmission downshifts it seems to slip, or ease its way, into the lower gear. We weighed in at 13900# on the trip at one stop; obviously we can reduce the load somewhat.
Is the 2500 being used by other owners with success, or is the 3500 more logical for the 3055?

caissiel

There are a lot of factors that effect towing, a 3500 will not have more power unless you change the axle ratio. Also you do not mention the year of the Dodge. The trucks do have different power as they are older.

We tow with the truck in the signature and are very happy with the results.
My unit is 1500Lbs heavier.

I drive differently with a trailer in tow then when empty, you have to expect changes in performance with 14000Lbs in tow

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Asking that question on this site is akin to suicide. Mostly you will get the "if you don't have a 550 your an accident waiting to happen," or "I would never pull with anything less than," or buy a Dodge or buy a Ford or use a Cab over Peterbuilt. Actually opinions are what rule this topic, not facts or questions. I myself pull with a super-modified F250 (year 2000) and never looked back. The question of "what do you have added to your TV" never comes up. You constantly hear a 250 can't stop a big trailer, well neither can a 350 or 450 that is why there are brakes on a trailer. A Ford F250 weighs in at 8200# (PSD) and a F350 weighs in at 8375# (PSD) not too much differance and so where is the logic of stopping power? I have supersways and Firestones airbags added to my suspension as well as a anti sway on my mount. I have a progressive brake control and 10ply tires. I pull up and down Cabbage grade near Pendelton OR all the time and never had a single problem (it is one of the longest steepest grades in the US, nicknamed Dead Mans Pass.) I always hear about "nothing less than a 350" but never hear the reasons. I have driven passes for most of my life and feel totally safe with my modified F250....it will outpull and outstop any F350. Your transmission should sound like that! If it slips a check light will come on (Fords the OD light will flash.) Keep your 2500, it is fine and then you won't chase the super truck that is not there. These guys will have you sleepless with worry if you don't have what they have!!!! Remember it is opinion and 9 out of 10 times it is the first truck they have had and so opinions rule!

PUG

Pug
Boy, Fred is on a roll today. Yes the 2500 will pull it if putting out sufficient power (what year and hp). Adding the HD tires and air suspension definitely helps carry the load. I did all of that with my 2500 02 Duramax pulling my 3950 which is heavier yet at 18500. It made me squenmish about every blowing a tire on the back of the TV. The 02 bumped put out 300 hp and it did pretty good. I was a bit afraid I was going to have to go through the injector replacement out of warranty and the blowout issue so I bought an 09 Ram, Mega, short box, dually, 1 ton. No tire, power or stability issues now. Talked to many rv ers before buying and all the trucks seem to be good although I was afraid of the new Ford engine until proven. Decided to buy the 09 when the 10s were getting ready to come out. Saved me about 13k.

All I can say is if you are thinking about a new or newer truck think 1 ton dually.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
I dont like to get into this argument. But, I just had to say , WELL SAID FRED! To the OP, pull with whatever you are comfortable with. this subject brings up alot of opinions, misinformation and very very little fact.

caissiel

When I hear all the problems with 5th wheel pin support I would never use a heavy sprunged truck on the pin of my trailer. Even with my F250 I am starting to question the strenght of the pin frame that flex enought to be concerned.

I already broke one on the previous trailer and I keep it in mine.

lwmcguir

We are towing our 3055RL with a Dodge 2500 diesel 4WD and are concerned that the truck may be a bit small for the Bighorn. The rig is weighing at about 12750# before putting all of our personal gear, food and clothes on board. We just completed a 5000 mile trip, and I noticed that when the automatic transmission downshifts it seems to slip, or ease its way, into the lower gear. We weighed in at 13900# on the trip at one stop; obviously we can reduce the load somewhat.
Is the 2500 being used by other owners with success, or is the 3500 more logical for the 3055?

We have several trucks, however out F250, well equped handles our Landmark August fine. No problems what so ever. Without any water on board our pin weight is 3360 and this isn't an issue. Tire condition and truck condition as well as a good brake controller are far more important than what kind of truck you have.

Willym

Often in this type of thread, you'll get the 3/4 ton owners telling that they are comfortable towing their rig, that you can add airbags, and that the trailer brakes will stop the trailer. On that last point, while it is true that trailer brakes will stop the trailer, they only brake whatever is on the trailer wheels. The truck brakes have to stop the truck including it's payload, i.e. pin weight. On the other hand, the dually owners will always advise you that duallies are the way to go, and that you can never have too much truck. The big three all use the same engines and transmissions in their 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, so you won't see any difference in pulling performance unless you opt for a different rear axle ratio.

I can only suggest that you weigh your truck and trailer, and figure out if you are within the trucks rear GAWR and the trucks GVWR. The GAWR is usually set by the tyre load limits, so I would not advise exceeding that rating.

Each time that I have gone to a bigger trailer I have ensured that I am within these two limits. I feel safer and more comfortable that way.

Northern Virginia
...Without any water on board our pin weight is 3360 and this isn't an issue...
Do you have a generator and washer/dryer? I thought the pin would be lighter...

And would water lighten your pin since it's behind the axle?

John

ihsolutions

I have a 2500HD, BH 3670RL, and am 250lbs over the GVWR of my truck based on pin weight of 2500lbs full loaded for a trip (empty pin weight was around 2120). Yes, this includes all passengers, gear, and everything else we take on a trip. I did add airbags, because the truck sat a little low, and bounced over freeway expansion joints we have here in Michigan.

My rig tows awesome. I drove southbound last week through 30-50mph crosswinds, and though I did slow down to 50-55mph, I experienced no issues whatsoever. The guys passing me at 70mph may not have been able to say the same thing, so common sense means a whole lot more than ratings when it comes to pulling 13000 lbs down the road.

BTW my truck is a 2003 Chevy D/A, and seems to have more than enough power.

rvn4fun

I suggest if you are confortable with your puller, stay with it. We used to pull with a F250. We knew that we would be trading bigger so we went for a bigger truck. We would never go back to the pickup unless we downsized. The big difference to us is, with a pickup you always know you have a load, with the truck you have to keep looking in the mirror to see if the trailer is still there. To each his own!

lwmcguir

Do you have a generator and washer/dryer? I thought the pin would be lighter...

And would water lighten your pin since it's behind the axle?

John

Our water tanks are on top of the axles so not sure what the pin weight would do. We have the typical camper stuff in the basement but no washer, dryer or generator. Pin is heavier than I thought it would be for sure. We do have slide awnings and the 5th Airborne pin, otherwise the front end is stock and loaded lightly. We don't have all the stuff in there that came out of the Yellowstone yet. Several others that weighed their Augusta's were surprised as well. Most folks don't know what their weights are however.

KL7j

I have a 3055 BH.
I have been up and down the Alaska Highway way over 20 times with various 5th's and travel trailers.
Currently I am towing the BH 3055 with a crew cab dually 4x4 and I'm staying with the dually.

I have towed with a long bed quad cab 1 ton 4x4 SRW, short bed crew 1 ton 4x4, but this dually is notably better for my likes and frost heave pitching road conditions.

Moose

Jeff's post on "common sense" applies here.

And as Fred implied . . . . . "Opinions are like _______ . . . . . everybody has one" ROFL

Tow with what you are comfortable with as long as it is safe and legal!