Considering mpg (first camper)

mriddle97

My wife and I are considering purchasing a RV this next year (our first). Our trips will mostly be weekend trips. We have given serious consideration to the Casita, however, after looking at the mpg at the RV show in Dallas last week we were very much impressed. Anyone know how the MPG compares with the Casita.

jimtoo

Hi mriddle97,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family of owners. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I am sure some of the MPG owners will be in soon to give their ideas and opinions.

Mean while enjoy the forum and hope to see you at a rally.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
From what I know about the Casita, it is an all fiberglass shell and very small. I'm not sure I can even stand upright in one. I'm just at 6'. I think the Casita has it's place in the market and they hold their value fairly well but again, they are small.
The MPG is relatively new to the market and is more of a conventionally constructed trailer. Probably heavier, but it is larger and I would imagine much more comfy if you had to spend any amount of time inside due to inclement weather. Better sleeping quarters also. Just a much better trailer for comfort. Easier to sell when you're ready to move up. You know you will too. We all have! Enjoy searching and we all hope you become a Heartland owner.

brains77396

We looked at the Castia, R-Pod, GulfStream Visa and the MPG. Casta, small with only 14 ft of inside space. R-Pod, a lot better with more room and about the same weight. MPG, basically a knock off of the R-Pod with a different shape, but standard equipment that is optional on the Pod. GulfStream Visa, 19 feet of inside space, about the same weight as the other three with the added benefit of a walk around bed. Was going to buy the Visa and called the dealer twice to tell them I would take one. They never returned my call so I bought the MPG. Benefit of the R-pod and MPG is you don't need to add extra mirrors to your tow. I pull with a Nissan Frontier and can see very will with the stock mirrors. Castia has a forum you can read with a lot of good info, along with many mods that different owners have made. R-Pod has two forums, R-Pod Nation which is very active, and one other. Not much on the GulfStream site as it is so new. About the same as the MPG forum. IMO the Castia is probably the best made of the bunch and I suspect will have the best resale value. However you decide to go, enjoy the new life. Will be camping with 9 Pods week after next at Huntsville State Park.

My wife and I are considering purchasing a RV this next year (our first). Our trips will mostly be weekend trips. We have given serious consideration to the Casita, however, after looking at the mpg at the RV show in Dallas last week we were very much impressed. Anyone know how the MPG compares with the Casita.

vthiker

I just purchased my MPG 182 at the end of the season (price was right!). This is my four RV. Gone from Coleman Popup, to Cougar TT, to Class A, and now back to a TT (MPG). We don't have a lot of dealers up here in Vermont so I was only able to compare the R-Pod and the MPG. The MPG is slightly larger and has more standard features. The inside is finished much nicer also. I would have like to look at the Visa, but could seem to find a dealer. Will post comments on how it tows and holds up. Enjoy.