BH landing jack problems

The clutch on my landing jacks has gone out for the second time in a year and a half (2008 Bighorn 3400RL). Am I alone here or has anyone else experienced this? When running the jacks down it often will clunk- clunk-clunk. And eventually that's all it will do- and you can't raise the trailer. I know that the first thing that comes to mind is "am I too heavy?" but I can't see where I could be. I do have a generator on board but even with no clothes, no food, no water I have this problem. Has anyone ever changed their jacks to a heavier duty set-up?

noobee

After I had many problems with the lift system (replacing motors & reduction rear boxes), last March I got an Ultra-fab lift system installed. Each leg has its own motor & control switch. Also each motor is stronger than the single motor on the original system.

CS

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Steve
I changed out my electric landing gears to a full auto leveling system by Big Foot. I kept hearing about the same problems and my landing gear was making some clicking noise and I had already changed out the motor and gear set.

I am real happy with the Big Foot system mainly because we fulltime and we needed a system that I could depend on. If your not fulltiming you may not want to go to a auto leveling system, but it would be money well spent for the life of your trailer.

BC

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Steve, when I had a 2008 Bighorn 3400rl, I had the same thing happen. Wound up hitching and unhitching with two bottle jacks. Remember to use the search tool on this forum.
RIGHT HERE is a post on what I did.
I ordered the parts from Venture Manufacturing.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Dave, with independent jacks, do you lower each separately to their point of contact and then run them simultaneously until level? Seems like if you're not careful once a load is on them that you could apply a twist to the frame on uneven ground.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
John, that is exactly how I did it. One leg till contact then the other. Then together. That works well when the ground is uneven and actually prevents twisting as the one motor system will move the legs together even if the ground is uneven.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The first one that touches the ground does not start lifting until the second one touches the ground, then they both lift together.

noobee

Dave, with independent jacks, do you lower each separately to their point of contact and then run them simultaneously until level? Seems like if you're not careful once a load is on them that you could apply a twist to the frame on uneven ground.

I run them both down... once one makes firm contact, I then run just the other to make firm contact... then both until the pin clears the hitch... after I've lowered the 5er to the sweet spot, I'll then use the individual controls to fine tune the side-to-side, if necessary.

CS

swpoole

I have an '09 Bighorn 3410RE. In December '09 I had to have the gearbox replaced on the front landing jacks. The plastic housing had split. I figure this was due to my own inexperience in using the jacks. I would land them home when raising the jacks and this would stress the housing. Since then, I have had further issues where the jacks slow down and actually stop. In reading this forum last Spring, one individual indicated to use motorcycle chain lubricant to lube the risers. Doing this was a chore, but I got it done. Saw an immediate improvement. Now 7 months later, jacks are again jamming.

With all the dialogue I have seen on Landing Gear problems, there certainly appears to be an issue of failure or stress with the landing gear on some models. I am interested in hearing more on the "Ultra-Fab" lift system that is posted by "Noobee". Where did you get this done, approximate cost, quality of upgrade, etc???????

I look forward to anyone who has info to assist.

Thank You.....

Steve

Just a quick update on my problem with the jacks- I have talked to Venture Mfg about their kit to install a motor on each jack (as Cookie described in his reply and prior post- thank you cookie!) They are very knowledgable and helpful. I have ordered their kit for the fix- should arrive this week- and I am excited to get it installed. Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

noobee

With all the dialogue I have seen on Landing Gear problems, there certainly appears to be an issue of failure or stress with the landing gear on some models. I am interested in hearing more on the "Ultra-Fab" lift system that is posted by "Noobee". Where did you get this done, approximate cost, quality of upgrade, etc???????

I look forward to anyone who has info to assist.

Thank You.....

Steve

I had the system installed by R.V. Masters in Yuma ((928) 726-3601) in March. They were recommended to me by a gent in the park where we were staying. I went to their shop to see about replacing the OEM lift system thinking of getting a hydraulic system. They recommended the Ultra-Fab electric system as it was much less expensive than a hydraulic system (about half the price). They also mentioned that hydraulic systems have there own limitations like leaking, etc.

Price was a little over a grand for the system including 4 hours of labour.

If you need further info PM me.

CS

jnbhobe

I think cookie told me the venture dual motor kit was about $350 and he installed it himself

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jon is correct, I ordered my dual motor conversion parts from Venture Mfg and the cost was $350 plus shipping. I dont know for sure if your 2009 model is the same as my 2008 was, but I think so. Didn't take long to install.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I looked over the installation guide on their website. It does look reasonably simple to install. In essence, you're replacing the ODS jack with the new Venture one, with its own motor and wiring in a new switch. The DS jack stays where it is and uses its OEM motor, correct?

Although I'm still leaning towards the Level-Up system, alternatives are worth exploring. Trying to justify how we normally use our rig vs. the cost of the upgrade. (Getting into the pre-post-partum depression stage of spending big bucks.)

caissiel

I was cleaning the front compartment and looked up at my jacks drive and decided it was time to service them.
The hand crank was a bit hard to crank up though it was easy on the down direction, I did not want to apply to much pressure.
It feels as hard to crank as I use to lift the rear of the truck with the other trailer with 15 year old units that never gave me any problems.

I checked the Drive unit and there was one of the 2 holding bolts that was not threaded tight. The bolt was in but did not hold the motor gearbox to the the jack gearbox.
I decided to remove the 2 gearboxes and I proceded to lube the Jack gearbox and tried to attach the motor gearbox to the jack unit. Had to run a tap in the Jack Gearbox to be able to tighten the 2nd bolt properly.

The assembly is eazy to work on, but I am still skeptic about the torque required to jack this trailer. With about the same hitch weight as the old trailer the gearbox seam to be much harder to turn. I noticed the motor gearbox is rated for 20 InLbs. It surely takes more then that to crank the manual lift system which is on the same shaft as the motor gearbox. is attached.

No fault to Heartland, but we sure get funny workmanship from our parts supplier. And the person that installed the gearbox on the jacks should have noticed the loose motor gearbox. It was just a mather of time before the Jack gearbox was going to fail on me, because the motor gearbox was moving when turning and twisting on the support with only one thight bolt.

Gearbox clarification:

The jacks have a Gear on top that is attached to a linkage bar. On one side there is a Jack Gearbox that the jack shafts are attached to. There is also a manual crank shaft that is used to manually move the jacks. The motor gearbox to me is the unit that the motor is attached to that also drive the Jack Gearbox input shaft that lifts the legs.

Jarhead

USMC Phantom Phixer
Here's what happened to my gear box. Bought a metal one. So far, no problem.

Attachments

• Landing gear head 003.jpg
    Landing gear head 003.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Landing gear head 001.jpg
    Landing gear head 001.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Landing gear head 002.jpg
    Landing gear head 002.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 44

jnbhobe

Here's what happened to my gear box. Bought a metal one. So far, no problem.

Thats what usually happens when the jacks are run all the way in or out against the stops and the button is held too long. Not good but thats the way they build them.

Well, I completed my Venture jack update this weekend. It went well and was not too tough. It was made much easier than I originally thought because I removed the basement wall (as suggested by another poster) and was able to remove and replace the jack that way. Wiring and install was a snap after that. Thanks to all for the advice and I love the results. And I really appreciated the service from Venture Mfg.- they were knowledgable, competent and professional. And the kit is still $350- a bargain in my book.