What MPG are You Getting with Your MPG?

KJR

There is a thread on the Rpod owners forum about the poor mileage most owners are getting towing an Rpod. The rear shape of the RPod creates too much turbulence and drag. It's described as pulling a barn door. Since the shape of the MPG is similar what mileage are you getting pulling an MPG at 60mph? Do you feel pulling an MPG at 60 mph requires a lot more power than pulling at 50 mph?

I'm looking at purchasing a pre-owned Toyota 4Runner with a V8 to pull something like an MPG or similarly sized TT.

Thanks

Kelvin

jimtoo

Hi KJR,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family of owners. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure you will get some opinions soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

brains77396

We pull our 186 with a 2010 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab, 4.0 V-6 auto with 261 HP. On our 2,000 mile trip we averaged 13.5 running 60/65. I also discovered that running with the overdrive off only increased the RPM's by 200. It didn't seem to make any difference in mileage. Even though we were turning more RPM's, the engine wasn't working as hard. Anything over 65 and the wind resistance became a real factor. I don't think horsepower is a big a factor as torque. While cruising at 60, I am not half way to my max HP which is at 4600 RPM. The lower the max torque RPM, the better. My owners manual says I can pull 6,300 lbs, but I sure don't want to try it. Hope this helps, a little.

There is a thread on the Rpod owners forum about the poor mileage most owners are getting towing an Rpod. The rear shape of the RPod creates too much turbulence and drag. It's described as pulling a barn door. Since the shape of the MPG is similar what mileage are you getting pulling an MPG at 60mph? Do you feel pulling an MPG at 60 mph requires a lot more power than pulling at 50 mph?

I'm looking at purchasing a pre-owned Toyota 4Runner with a V8 to pull something like an MPG or similarly sized TT.

Thanks

Kelvin