Dryer Expectations

danemayer

For those who have stackable washer dryer units, what's your experience with how long it takes to dry a medium load of laundry. I know it's going to vary a lot, but drying 5 cotton short-sleeved polo shirts is taking maybe 2 hours which seems excessive. We have an Ariston Model TVM63X dryer. (Btw, the exhaust seems to be getting through to the outside vent and the lint trap is clean.)

kkamshop

I wonder if the problem is your washer, ours spins so well that the clothes are merely damp when we put them in the dryer.

A load like you describe would take about an hour - are you getting good voltage to the coach?

danemayer

Spent about 30 min on the phone with Westland Service this afternoon. They agree it should be drying better. As with any dryer, the key is 1) airflow and 2) heat.

Airflow coming out the rear of the unit (hose disconnected) seems good. I'll have to recheck the outside to see if it feels like a similar volume is getting through the hose. An exhaust blockage could cause the problem.

The exhaust is warm, but that isn't sufficient to know if it's high heat or normal heat. Although we've been using the timed setting with the heat button pressed in to 'High', it's not clear that both elements are heating.

By setting the mode to 'A' (automatic mode) both heating elements should be on regardless of switch position and clothes should dry quickly on 'A'. If the cycle completes on 'A', it's a good indication that both elements are coming on. If it runs forever on 'A', only 1 element is on.

I'll have to put some laundry in the unit to test it out on both counts and will update when complete. May take a few days.

As to power, the Dryer has operated equally poorly at several parks, in all cases plugged into 50 amp service.

Northern Virginia
I would check the exhaust. I would start with the easiest to fix item, a kinked exhaust line or partially blocked vent. You may have to pull the unit out, disconnect the hose and inspect the connection at the back of the dryer. Sometimes they have an installer made to remove disc that doesn't get removed.

I had a similar problem with our house dryer. After pulling my unit and disconnecting the hose, I reached my arm up into the dryer and pulled out a sock-with a huge lint ball (and a few coins, some sunflower seeds, a post-it note and some old wadded up Kleenex...(my wife claimed they were all from MY pockets...hehehehe:p...)

After removing that, it worked like it should.

Good luck,
John

Charlie Harris

The only problem we have had was when voltage drops at some parks when the park fills up. Since installing the Progressive surge protecter, the power is shut off if it gets too low or if it gets to high. Usually only happens on 30 amp service.

danemayer

Checked airflow at the outside vent today. Lots of air coming out - seemed comparable to airflow at back of unit with the exhaust hose removed. Next step is to try Auto mode to see if both heating elements are coming on.

danemayer

By setting the mode to 'A' (automatic mode) both heating elements should be on regardless of switch position and clothes should dry quickly on 'A'. If the cycle completes on 'A', it's a good indication that both elements are coming on.

Tried the dryer on 'A' today. No joy. If Westland's test is a good indication, it looks like it's running on 1 heating element even when set on High Heat or 'A'. Looks like we'll have to take it in to the dealer for repair.

danemayer

Dealer service ran tests per Westland instructions and ordered a heating coil. Only one of the two coils was working.