Storage ideas in front---inside step modification

aatauses

Hi everyone,
We have a BH 3670 and looking for ideas for storage in the front bay(under the pin)---I have used a few crates and boxes, but it seems like a lot of wasted space---any storage ideas for this area would be appreciated.
Also, I have read a few articles about making storage under the steps going upstairs. I know I should have pictures of this, but was not sure how it would turn out, (in case it failed did not want anyone to try it), but it turned out ok, so let me explain what I did.
Removed the 3 screws holding down the steps ---one on each side and one in the middle
Removed the carpet from the flakeboard.
with the flakeboard I cut a 1" strip off the back
I then put a spacer under the strip and reattached it to the step in the back
I put a piano hinge on this strip and onto the remaining piece of flakeboad
I then reinstalled the carpet back on the flakeboard and on the top it went over the hinge
Cut the back of the carpet and carpet nailed it on the back
The steps appear to be just like they were, except you can now lift them to store shoes.
Can call or email me if you are interested in more information.
al

caissiel

well done, I saw them on the new 2011 BC's and this will be my next project for sure.
I plan on changing the stran boards and using 5/8" plywood instead.

I have bought storage containers that fits in across and can put 2 high through the doorway. Also includes 2 Batteries in one container and a 1500Watt power plant that fits there to. Its the same width as the containers.

We are also using Rubbermaid Roughnecks and 2 large ones perfectly fits in the storage for height. Also one large and two small ones fit also. They are all same size in area but different height. These did not suit in the front but we found some Store Stuff Storage Tote 21.25"W x 14.5"D x 13"H.

Up above these I placed some hooks that holds the hoses and the Electrical Extension cords.
Our lawn chairs fit behind the Totes.

RoadJunkie

We need a "sticky" that demonstrates (visually w/pics) all of the space modifications that our clever forum members have implemented. Don'tyathink?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
From the first 2 entries - pictures please. Would love to learn and improved. Thanks in advance.

caissiel

I have removed the steps and found some room under.
The air duct pipe is in the way I will have to modify
Hinges were not required as I installed some support to keep the steps on the base

Steps 1.jpg Steps 2.jpgSteps 3.jpgSteps 4.jpg
In addition I included the pics or the storage Containers. Power plant was not stored.
Heartland 001.jpgHeartland 004.jpg
//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Last edited:

JJnLilly

Working on a way to make use of the space under the steps in our Greystone 32rl. Problem is our steps to the hall are somewhat curved so they can not lift up with hinges. Further complicating the problem, the bottom step is one piece of plywood that extends under the second step. Have removed the second step and are using that for some storage. Just using large Velcro strips to hold it in place. Looking at removing the front of the bottom step and redoing the 2x2 supports and adding some pullout drawers. Right now things are int he planning stage.

jnbhobe

When you figure the drawers out let me know, my wife has been hounding me for those drawers.

caissiel

The tote slides real easy on the carpet, The drawers use a lot of space for the rollers or slides. We have spare everything in there, bike equipment, Electronics, Kayaking, hobbies and I even have my leveling blocks in a tote.