New family member.....a rescue puppy...."callie"

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Today we added a new member to the HL family. She was at a Petco rescue dog clinic last Saturday. I picked her up at 4:00PM today from the vets. She's a Belgium Sheppard mix.

She is a very lovable and sweet pup. I'm not sure if it was riding in the TV or listening to Willy Nelson that made her whine all the way home. She has already drug off one of my flip-flops and insists on sleeping on my feet. She will becoming with us to Buellton next month cause JB said. I will do some research and find out if it's my driving or Willy Nelson she doesn't like. We (Pat) took a few pix.

P.S. I will report back on how the "OL' PUSS" takes to the pup.

Attachments

• montana trip 040 (Large).jpg
    montana trip 040 (Large).jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 78
  • montana trip 041 (Large).jpg
    montana trip 041 (Large).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 74
  • montana trip 043 (Large).jpg
    montana trip 043 (Large).jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 72

loafer

Hey Bob
Looks like Callie has found a place in your hearts already looks very comfy with you .You might have to find another singer if she keeps whining LOL
Have fun and enjoy your new fur child
Bill

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Bob and Patty we are thrilled to see that you adopted this lucky puppy instead of going the puppy store route! We are very involved in rescue which has been a have great joy to Duane and I. Callie is the lucky one and you will reap many years of furr butt lovin! If you need puppy/training tips just ask away. We have lots of tricks up our well trained sleeves. How are those puppy teeth. Take an old washcloth, soak it in chicken broth and freeze in a tight wad. Keep several handy and use those instead of your hands and walk away if play time gets rough, she will soon get the message and start to play nice.
Oh I love the smell of puppy breath..Looking forward to you sharing many years of Callie adventures!

Bob&Patty

Well so far Callie has be just fine. No accidents in house and has found a spot in the back yard already. I'm glad it wasn't on the lawn. She does not mind sleeping in her crate and will go in it by herself. Last nite was a little rough. She woke up about midnite crying, so we put on her the bed with us and she went back to sleep...sorta. She has been terrorizing the backyard all morning. Not a plant or tree is safe...but she likes chewing on the lava rocks in the planter areas. She really seems to like being outside. Shes sleeping under bush as we speak. She has chew toys and enjoys them already. The biggest problem is keeping her out of the cat food. Apperantly she like cat food better than puppy chow. The cat is not real happy about this.

She was a shelter dog but was in a foster home setting. We see no ill effects from this. She loves being with us but does not like the trash truck. She ran and sat between my feet until it left. Thats all for right now.

Last edited:

Northern Virginia
Congrats on the new puppy. We have two puppies that are now 8 months old and 90 pounds. Having a 2 and 4 year old sons and two 80 pound German shepherds has it's moments (just ask my wife, hahahahahha).

I just read a great article about dog training in Outdoors magazine. If I can find it online I'll link to it. But basically it said, remember, YOU are not the dog whisperer. Don't kid yourself. You only need to teach your dog 4 things (I would argue 5) but the are:

1. Sit
  2. Stay
  3. Come
  4. Heel
  5. (My addition) Off
Everything else is inconsequential. Socialization is also the single most important (and under rated) aspect of early dog training.

My 2 cents for the day.

Again, congratulations on your adorable new puppy,

John

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Hey Bob, Welcome to the world of fur kids!!!! She will give all kinds of love and all kinds of happiness and the best thing is all she ask for is Little food water and petting. Fur kids are so special all I know is I love mine and I am never alone and they never ask me for money. I know you will give her the best home ever and she will give you unconditional love.

Paul & Nan

We also added a fur child a week ago. We adopted a 3 year old Bichon, Rocky, from our local no kill shelter. He joins our 2 year old Bichon Jake as our RV buddies. Have to change our sig line as our boy Casey went to the Rainbow Bridge in April.

Bob&Patty

Pat took these pix last weekend. The little DRUT (turd) is a * H***-yon. I forgot how much fun a puppy is. There is not one thing safe inside or out.

She gained 4# in a week. So by my math ( she's 11# now), in 4 weeks she will be 27#. OMG...a 30# bowling ball with sharp teeth.

Attachments

• callie 001 (Large).jpg
    callie 001 (Large).jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 40
  • callie 005 (Large).jpg
    callie 005 (Large).jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 37
  • callie 006 (Large).jpg
    callie 006 (Large).jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 37

katkens-DW

Bob, She is beautiful !! She does look like a thinker I have a thinker and boy do we have a time with him. But like you said they are fun.

Bob&Patty

Well JB, bring your football helmet. She liked to ripped my ear off this morning. BOY her teeth are sharp.

Kat, she's a handfull.....she is getting better with a rolled up newspaper and a loud NO from me. 10% of the time shes very good.

jnbhobe

Hey Bob; Now don't go sending any of Callie's bad habits out on the forum. LOL Our Freckles has been real good. Kathy and Kenny trained him well.

katkens-DW

Freckles was easy he is a non thinker he just wants to please!!!! Razz is a thinker and he needs to know you mean what you say. But he is getting better every day he knows no means no finally and I think he is potty trained at least he been real good this week.

Bernie55

We rescued 2 cats through Petco, Sam 3 years ago, & Joann 2 years ago ( those names came with the cats )..We are rewarded every day. Enjoy your new addition.......

loafer

Hey Bob what ever happened to warm and fuzzy? LOL .Seems Callies turning into a chewing machine which most puppies go thru. I am sure that with a little rolled up paper and some patience on your part she will turn out great.
Take your time and hide all the chewables in your house and yard and she will grow out of this stage.
Hang in there Bob

Regards Bill

Bob&Patty

Bill and others, Callie is a good puppy........but she is a puppy. One thing in our favor is she loves being outside. That works for me. Her potty training is going very well. I give her a "cookie" (puppy dog bone) and tell good dog. She has the rattle of the jar down now and comes to me an "sits".

As far as her toys, her latest and greatest new toy, well really 2 new toys are....a plastic 1 gal ice cream bucket, with handle and a pine cone. Beats me, but all the real dog toys are not any fun for her anymore. I need to take a movie with her and the bucket. Its a riot to watch her. Picture this...head in the bucket....full speed across the yard........BOOOONG....sorry callie theres a fence there. I guess you could call it a crash helmet. She will play with the bucket for hours. Handle in her mouth running all over the yard...growling..barking. I dont get it...but WHAT EVER. ROTF-LMAO.

Her drinking out of our fountain is a story for another episode of "callie" the wonder dog, (I wonder all the time). Stay tuned.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
There already seems to a change in the look of Callie's face from the first set of pictures to the second.

Glad you could help the little one.
Soon it will be our turn.

Bob&Patty

Larry, you noticed the little horns also. I really think she has doubled in size from 2 weeks ago. The little DRUT.