Bands around springs?

traveler44

I was just wondering what those bands are for that are wraped around the springs near the front of each set. Are they just used to keep the springs together during build or are they supposed to help keep them straight afterward? Mine are loose enough to slip off of all but the longest leaf. Thanks Tom M.

jnbhobe

They are used to keep the spring packs from twisting. If not they will twist back and forth until they hit the U-bolts

2010augusta

the bands are important in the trailer springs. if the spring begin to twist and turn it will stress the center pin and lead to failure of the pin and if the leafs are not in0line it lessens the effective spring rates.

On my Jeep rock crawler I open/remove the bands to get more flex and "soften" the springs, but I have broke a few center pins in the past 13 years.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes, as mentioned above. They are there to keep the springs from "splaying". If you cant get them to stay in place....go to a spring shop and get some that will.

Willym

Correct. The bands should be on the leading part of the spring to keep them from splaying when braking. Such splaying puts more stress on the top leaf.

Yes, as mentioned above. They are there to keep the springs from "splaying". If you cant get them to stay in place....go to a spring shop and get some that will.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
This is what will happen when they wont hold anymore and when the "U" bolts come loose. This was all 4 springs.

Attachments

• damage 006 (Medium).jpg
    damage 006 (Medium).jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 20
  • damage 008 (Medium).jpg
    damage 008 (Medium).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 20
  • damage 009 (Medium).jpg
    damage 009 (Medium).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 20
  • damage 010 (Medium).jpg
    damage 010 (Medium).jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 21

traveler44

Thanks all! I will try to get this fixed. Allthough mine don't look damaged, they don't seem to have a pin or anything to keep them from just sliding back and forth on the spring set. I will check this out at a spring shop!!! Thanks again, I had no idea that they were that important and wouldn't have even noticed this if I hadn't learned, on this site, how important it is to keep an eye on the suspension components. Tom M.