Raising jack housing

MC9

I would like to unclamp the jack housing and raise them about 1.5 in. in order to raise the connecting rod between them to clear a freezer I would like to install in the front compartment. Seems doable. What say you?

D

Dave Willis

I've been told that those jack legs are welded in place and it's not just simply loosening the clamp and moving them.

Jburks

If you are very good with a torch and welder it could be done but won't that make the outside hole for the manual crank out of line?

MC9

Update on jack housing move: Existing housing not welded (sits on an extruded "shelf"). Raised housing about 3 in. and welded it in place. You're right Jack, going to have to make another mod to manual crank.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Since the factory has responded, I'll move this thread into the Sundance Modification area. Once you get the mod done it would be great if you could post a few pictures. Others may like to do the same thing. Thanks!

D

Dave Willis

I've spoke to our engineer again regarding this and he spoke to Lippert Componenants. When moving the legs there might be an issue with the jack pin hitting something and having enough travel after moving them. They don't recommend it and it will void the warranty. That is the case with any deviation from standard build though.

Thanks,

MC9

A little update on this mod. Made the change, nothing in the way and it works perfectly. To open the freezer real wide you have to remove the shaft between the two jacks, however, they just have removeable pins anyway. The Sundance is now out of warrantee anyway. I did put several more screws in the belly pan to the framing. Someday I'll learn how to post pics.