Control box switches identified

Midastouch

There is a doubt in my mind as to what the top switch in my control box is for ... it has a red switch. Is this the heating pads for my holding tanks? It was never labeled and it's off, so I guess I need to know once and for all!

Then there is the switch on my tank monitor panel that says "heater". What is that for?

You'd of thought I would have this figured out by now but haven't had to mess with anything .... things seem fine but need to verify some things.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Hi Midastouch
Both switches you are asking about are for the water heater. The big red one that is alone is for using electric, and the one on the tank monitor is for using gas. I found that if you need to take back to back showers turn both on. That way the gas will heat faster, than go back to electric.

phranc

Also on the water heater there is a small rocker switch that will shut off/on the electric element.. Look in the lower left after you take off the access cover.. If this switch is 'on' then the water heater electric element can be controlled by the 'big red' switch .

jpmorgan37

Lynn;
You also have another switch on the hot water heater itself. This is also for electric on the hot water heater. Both electric switches need to be on in order for it to heat water on electric. I don't know where the switch is for the holding tank heat strips as I don't have them. For the record, I stuck my head in the basement and behind the sliding doors last night while the furnace was running and it was toasty warm down there. We only got down to 27 but everything was really nice and warm. I ran the heat pumps until it got down to about 35 and then switched to the furnace.
John

Midastouch

OK ... thanks for all the response but this is what I have been doing since I've been in this thing. I know the rocker switch on the hot water heater is "ON" and has been "ON" since day one! The red switch in the control box is not lit and I know this is suppose to mean "OFF". What would I need that for?

The "heater" switch on my tank monitor panel is for gas?

Maybe I got too much info or I'm trying to make this too hard .... I am suppose to have heating on my tanks, so if I do, I am not sure where that would be????? I think most of my heat from the furnace goes into the compartment underneath .... the floor next to the cold air return sure get WARM!!!!

jbeletti

Lynne.

Yes, the switch (that also lights red) on your monitor panel is for the direct spark ignition for the gas burner for the water heater. Make sure your tanks have gas and the valves are open, hit that switch to ON and you'll have hot water soon.

As for the house type wall switch with a red light, use this if you want to heat water using electricity supplied by the campground versus using your propane to heat the water. And as stated by others here, use both if you want very fast recovery.

As for 110 volt tank heating pads, my unit had another house type wall switch above in the same area as the electric water heater switch. Mine was unmarked. I marked it using a label makers.

Keep on asking those questions. Pretty hard to stump all of those helpful owners that lurk around here :)

Jim

Midastouch

Jim ...

I have never used the wall type red switch in the closet area that is unmarked. I have HOT WATER all day long and always have. That is why I asked about it ... never needed to flip that on because I am plugged into 50 amp service and use the electric. ???????

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Jim Beletti said:
Lynne.

Yes, the switch (that also lights red) on your monitor panel is for the direct spark ignition for the gas burner for the water heater. Make sure your tanks have gas and the valves are open, hit that switch to ON and you'll have hot water soon.

As for the house type wall switch with a red light, use this if you want to heat water using electricity supplied by the campground versus using your propane to heat the water. And as stated by others here, use both if you want very fast recovery.

As for 110 volt tank heating pads, my unit had another house type wall switch above in the same area as the electric water heater switch. Mine was unmarked. I marked it using a label makers.

Keep on asking those questions. Pretty hard to stump all of those helpful owners that lurk around here :)

Jim
Jim, when we ordered our Mt. Rushmore, we did not know the 110 volt tank heating pads were an option ,or at least I did not think about them. I know that we are heated underneath and that is probably all we would ever need, but I wonder if I can purchase them and if so where?

ct0218

Lynne, I'm getting a little confused now. The big red switch mounted on the wall is for heating the water with the electric element (IF the small rocker switch on the water heater is turned on also-pull cotter pin, flip switch on). If the only switch on is the small switch mounted on the monitor, then you are heating with gas.

jbeletti

Terry and Renee,

The heating pads are stuck to or glued to the tanks. I believe they are applied at the Heartland plant.

That said, I am pretty sure you could ask a dealer to order the pads for you through Heartland Parts Service.

You'll need to drop your underbelly to install them and of course pull wiring to the breaker box and a switch.

I have yet to use mine. Not sure why I got them. Guess it was just my inexperience. But, you never know, maybe we'll camp in weather where we'll need it one day. What I wish I would have ordered was dual pane windows. But we were already past our budget as it was. Oh well - next time :)

Jim

ct0218

Jim, what kind of switch do you have for the holding tank heaters? I thought I got about everything on mine too, but I don't remember that option, and I don't remember a switch that would have turned the heaters on. Is it a lighted switch like the water heater AC switch?

Midastouch

I'm still confused ... maybe I need to take a pic .... I ordered the holding tank heating pads as an option and I guess I assumed the switch in my closet that is red and unmarked was for the holding tanks, because as I stated in a prior post, my hot water tank has been operating on electric power since I picked the unit up at the dealer and that red switch that everyone seems to be telling me is for the electric to the hot water heater, is NOT "ON" and never has been. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe it's too late for this :D I know it's cold outside though ... 32 right now! :eek:

jbeletti

Clark,

My switch is an standard 110 VAC ivory switch with an ivory wall plate - unmarked & unlit.

Lynne,

I think you're right. Please snap picture and upload it in a post. We'll go from there.

Jim

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Jim Beletti said:
Terry and Renee,

The heating pads are stuck to or glued to the tanks. I believe they are applied at the Heartland plant.

That said, I am pretty sure you could ask a dealer to order the pads for you through Heartland Parts Service.

You'll need to drop your underbelly to install them and of course pull wiring to the breaker box and a switch.

I have yet to use mine. Not sure why I got them. Guess it was just my inexperience. But, you never know, maybe we'll camp in weather where we'll need it one day. What I wish I would have ordered was dual pane windows. But we were already past our budget as it was. Oh well - next time :)

Jim
I know what you mean about the dual pane windows. We did consider them,but cost was an issue.Our dealer convinced us that unless we were going to be camping in the dead of winter,we would not need them.But,I still think they would have helped. As far as the heat pads go,We probably would not need them enough to justify the cost. Like you said,next time. We learn as we go.Thanks for the reply.:D