First Trip to Wyoming, Montana & Idaho--Where to stay and what to see???

edmarsha

We are leaving Georgia the last weekend in July next year (2011) and wanting to see Wyoming, Montana & Idaho and return home the first week in October. We have to travel on a budget and have a 38-ft rig so we can't just stay anywhere. We want to make the most of the trip since it's so costly just to go there. Anyone have any suggestions for this three-state trip about where to stay and what not to miss? Any info helpful!

Last edited:

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Not an easy questin to answer...The obvious destination would be Yellowstone staying perhaps in West Yellowstone, MT with a larger rig. If you can make it to Cody, the Buffalo Bill Cody Historical Center is well worth visiting. Going north into Montana you can visit Glacier National Park Take highway 2 through Libby and Troy Montana to northern Idaho and drop down to Sandpoint...possibly Coeur d'Alene. Just north of Coeur d'Alene there is the Silverwood Theme Park if you have kids! Lots to see and do in those three great states!

Safe Travels!

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
WARNING: Do not visit north Idaho; you will not want to leave to return to Georgia!!!

Shoot, we only visited the middle of Idaho and didn't want to come home. If you could do something about the snow in winter, I'd move to Grangeville. We loved Idaho so much we want to go back. Again and again.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Traveling on I 90 stay at the KOA in Missoula MT and then coeur D'alene camp ground in POst falls, Coeur D'alene is very beautiful, if you gold the course there at the resort is incredible. take the trip arround the lake.

Both camp grounds mentioned are BIg rig friendly.

If you PM me I can send you a way point you can load into your Garmin GPS.

We live in the Boise ID area and make the trip to Montana and Wyoming every year. We have a Bighorn 3370 RL which is 36 ft long. Never had a problen anywhere in these states. Yellowstone is a must and if you get to the south in Idaho Stanley is a great place to see. If in the Boise area give us a call and we can hook you up at our place.

Moose

For sure do the Glacier National Park (Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park). It is pretty amazing.

gasman

Camp Socializer
In Wyoming you need to visit the hot springs at Thermopolis then take HWY 26 west to Grand Teton NP. Travel north through the park into Yellowstone. As you move into Montana travel north through Missoula past Flathead Lake on the way to Glacier NP. Be sure to take in Hungry Horse Dam. Wander over into Coeur d'Alene and then go south on Hwy 95. When you get to New Meadows take Hwy 55. McCall is a must stay place. Stay at the Ponderosa State Park. It is a beautiful modern campground with full hookups and large paved sites in the pines on the shore of Payette Lake. You won't want to leave, but please do. Get off I84 at Exit 137 and visit Hagerman Valley and Thousand Springs. There are good RV parks along Hwy 30. The Stanley area is very pretty but not a lot of large camping sites.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We went to Glacier National Park in 2009. At Missoula we stayed at Jim and Mary's RV Park. It is nice. Here are some links for you to check out.

Jim & Mary's on RV Park Reviews

Jim and Mary's Website

While your in Missoula go check out the fire jumpers museum. Intresting.

Go up to West Glacier and stay at the West Glacier KOA. It is a good one.
If you go to Custer's Battlefield you should stay at the 7th Ranch RV Campground Garryowen MT.

If you PM me I will tell you where I stayed and show you some pictures of the campgrounds.
BC

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you are looking for places to stay at nite along the road. Try this place. You can park in any flying "J" truck stop for the nite. You will have to leave the slides in. Park out with the BIG OL' Trucks. They do not have hook-ups unless you have a gen-set with you. You can get fuel and food. The price is good.........FREE. Be careful about some of the Wally-World stores. Some are on city owned property and you can be ticketed for overnite parking. The one in Billings Mt. is that way.