Another Newbie

CampinNow

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I made an offer yesterday on a 2011 3250 TS. Just waiting on credit approval which should be imminent. We hope to contribute and learn from this forum for years to come.

We have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4 x 4 shortbed crew cab with Cummins, and I'm curious if others are also pulling this model with a 3/4 ton Dodge. I've done the math and this unit puts it at or slightly above the mfg. suggested specs.

Appreciate any comments on this issue and any suggestions as we begin to enjoy our Big Country!

jimtoo

Hi CampinNow,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the Family of owners. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure you will get some opinions on your tow vehicle, both good and bad. That's what's good about this forum, besides all the good people you will meet.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

DW_Gray

I don't have the answer to your question because I know nothing about the 2005. I haven't found the data for it either.

But I will tell you this. Please don't suffer the heartaches, frustrations and eventually anger from buying a RV to big for your truck like I did. At this point the best thing I can help you with is to tell you to slow down, a lot. Before you finalize this deal sign and a purchase agreement check out what your truck is capable of towing. If you did the math and you think the trailer is to big for it, then it probably is.

What is the in information on you Certification Label?

I have another resource on my computer and I will see what I can learn from that. In the mean time, maybe someone else will post a comment.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Hi CampinNow,
Congrats on the your new rig.
We have an 09 3250. Love the wide open floor plan. I know you will enjoy yours.
As far as the 3/4 ton pulling the trailer, for whats it worh we pulled ours over a year with a 3/4 ton GMC. Their are many people pulling heavier trailers with the 3/4 ton. Doesnt make it right or safe or not safe...just saying.

Spend some time looking at the pin weight and your payload on the truck. Then look at the differences between the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks for your year.

Ultimatley you will have to make your own decision. One of the best things you can do is get the trailer loaded for a trip and then find some scales.

Click this link and it will show you some real world weights on the 3250 and 3/4 ton GMC. Maybe it will help.
3250weights=

archbarb

We have the 2011 BC 3250TS and our tv is a 2007 GMC 2500HD CC LB with the 6.6L Duramax and Allison transmission. We have not experienced any problems what so ever with towing it. Now with that being said, if and when I upgrade to another tv I will go with a one ton Ford or GMC with diesel just to know I'm covered!!!!!

Archie

CampinNow

I sincerely appreciate the help from everyone! This is of course a confusing discussion for most people and translating published specs to the real world is always a little tricky. I have the info for my truck as follows:

With 3.73 Axle Ratio Axle Ratio​
You Can Tow 12850 lbs

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)​
= 9000 lbs

Payload​
= 1994 lbs

Curb Weight​
= 7006 lbs

Curb Weight Front/Rear =​
4305 lbs/4305 lbs

GAWR Front/Rear​
= 5200 lbs/6010 lbs

Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) = 20000 lbs

Looks like my biggest issue is not CGVWR, but perhaps pin weight and maybe GVWR on the truck. Hard to tell how that is all going to work out till I get hooked up, huh? Published pin weight is 1920 lbs. GVWR on the truck would be okay if I stayed there, but we all know that is going up. Maybe I need to throw about 500 lbs on the back of the coach:)

I've seen a number of people pulling this coach with Ford and GM 3/4 tons. Was just hoping to find someone that had pulled it with a Dodge 2500 to see how it works out.

Again, I really appreciate all the help you guys have offered on this subject.

Grateful!
CampinNow

GOTTOYS

I just finished a 750 mile round trip with my 2010 Ram 2500 and my new 3250 Big Country. I'm running Firestone Air Bags to level it but probably wouldn't need them. With 25 psi the ride is pretty good. I don't know about your 2005 but I know for a fact that my 2010 2500 is exactly the same as a 3500 single rear wheel Ram except for the rear springs. Everything else is the same, brakes, tires, rear axle, frame. If I feel I need more capacity I'll go to a spring shop and have them beef up the rear springs. With this rig I doubt that will ever happen. We love our new 3250 and the Dodge ain't bad either.

caissiel

From my experience talking to other camper owners.

Get the unit you realy like and get the truck you need at a later date, its easier to bye a trailer you can live with then turning around trading it because its not what you realy like.

Trucks come in all sizes and trades are very common.