12 Volt Short

highrail

I have a short somewhere in my Bighorn 3400rl. When I connect or disconnect the battery I get a spark at the negative terminal. Not a wire burning spark but a good quarter inch spark. If I leave the battery connected without ground or truck power the battery will discharge in 48 hours. I have double checked and can find nothing turned on.

Can anyone tell me where to start looking or has anyone had this problem before.

Thanks
Tom in TN.

jpmorgan37

Tom;
The first thing that I would do would be to go to the fuse panel (12 V) and after making sure that all were labeled and listed the correct amperage for each fuse, then I would pull them all. Now check your battery and see if you get the spark. If not, start reinstalling each fuse, one at a time, and check for the spark. You should find the circuit that has the ground by doing that. If you want to call me, my number is 254-986-1433.
Good luck,
John

timk

Tom, it might not be a short. Something might be turned on in the coach. But if you do what John suggested, you'll find out what it is.
TimK

DennisZ

Is the refrigerator turned on?? That will draw some current, also check to see if for some reason the refrigerator cooling fan is running, that will kill your battery in that time. The fan does not power off even though the refrigerator is turned off.

Uncle Rog

highrail, when you figure it out please post your findings. I unplugged our rig for about a week and my freezer temp went up so we lost a bunch of shrimp and crab legs. We had plenty of propane and the reefer was still cold.....curious.....also you might check the setting on your reefer, I read a post from somebody saying at some setting the light does not go off....

jpmorgan37

Rog: What setting do you keep your refrigerator on. I keep mine set at level 4 and the freezer keeps just fine on propane. I leave it there on electric also for the long haul. My ice cream stays good and hard.

Uncle Rog

JP, as far as I can tell my reefer has no adjustment, my last TT did not either, unless I am missing something. When I lost the freezer the lower section was fine and the top was cold? Our best guess is that we did not fully latch the freezer. We will monitor this of course, it is no fun to lose a bunch of food...................

Uncle Rog

Knucklehead Me

I figured out the freezer, when I unplugged the power I also turned off the batteries like an amature. I left a TT in Death Valley for a week one time when my old suburban bombed on me and the freezer was fine and beer was still cold. What a dumb mistake...................

jpmorgan37

Rog;
Glad you figured it out. And it's not a "dumb" or "amature mistake". It's a learning experience. Besides, you didn't have to take it back to the dealer.
John

jpmorgan37

Rog, and now you do. So say to yourself, I am sure one smart cookie to figure that out all by myself. Life is good.

John