Balancing Tires

Wharton

The tires on our BH were not balanced at the factory!!!! We just had them all balanced.

Has anyone else had their tires balanced? This should be #1 on the to do list when getting a trailer. These tires are expensive and I want to do everything I can to extend their life, also the wear and tear on the trailer with unbalanced tires could be excessive since no one is back there to feel the vibrations.

MC9

I did mine this summer when I put on the wet bolts. The tires weren't out of balance very much. Should help from beating up the suspension. (well, you know what I mean).

loafer

Bought a new set of Maxxis tires and had them all balanced after 13,000 miles no problems. if they were on your car they would be balanced.I am believer in balancing for what it costs.
Just MHO
Bill

caissiel

Just had my Wheels Balanced today.
One tire was of by 8 Oz on one side. The others were off by around 6 Oz average and on some on both sides

Mels Musty Music

This is really confusing. I have had a previous SOB and more recently my BH in to have the axles aligned - the first at a semi truck center and the BH at an alignment shop that specializes in RV's and both told me it was not necessary to balance the tires. Who do I believe?
Truck center said noboby balances the semi trailers. Any retired over the road guys out their that can give me some insight?
Thanks.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OK Hank, here my OTR trucker thought on this. A BIG OL' truck tires spin about 1/2 the RPM's that your trailer tires do. There is a big difference in an 11X22.5 tire and a 235X16. Your BH axles have about 12K on them divided by 4 = 3K. Thats about what any tire in a 3/4 or 1tn truck has. Follow me so far?. A fully loaded semi...with an 80K gross weight has about 32K per set of double axles and some where close to 16K +/- on the steering axle. 32K divided by 8 is 4K per tire. Now you have to remember that all 4 tires are on 1 axle. I really don't think you could get 16K pounds to jump very high. Hope you get my drift. BTW, I never had my tires balanced on my rig....but I do on the Horn and the TV.

ct0218

I agree that it is best to have the tires and wheels balanced. Even a minor out of balance tire has to vibrate, and that has to affect many components of the trailer. I had my original Trail America tires and my replacement Goodyears balanced and the shop said"we never balance trailer tires". I have three other trailers, including 1 large gooseneck, and I balance those tires also. I think the tires will wear better and last longer if balanced too. I have a lot of lead on my Landmark wheels, and that means that they were way out of balance.

jnbhobe

Its true semi's don't balance their tires!!! You can tell for sure just listen when they go by you. You'll hear a tire slapping the pavement on about 1/2 of them

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I have our tires rotated and balanced every spring before camping season. We also had an alignment kit installed to help keep the axles aligned. At the time of installment, one axle was over 1/2" out of aligment from the left to right side. Seems to work so far in that the tires are wearing evenly now.

Mels Musty Music

Bob

Thanks for your great explanation. Have to admit I had to read it a couple of times for the info to sink in - but thats my problem. I'm on the road right now but will print this thread out when I get home and keep a copy in the BH and also get my tires balanced before our next trip.
Thanks again,

Hank

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Tell the tire dealer to balance your tire. If he doesn't want to go elsewhere. Remember they are in the business to sell tires and an unbalanced tire will wear out quicker, hence more sales.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Thanks Hank, hope it made sense. It's just the laws of physics. Didn't write them...just believe them.

gpshemi

Its true semi's don't balance their tires!!! You can tell for sure just listen when they go by you. You'll hear a tire slapping the pavement on about 1/2 of them

That's not entirely true. Tons of truckers use Centramatic balancers.

gpshemi

For all of you who want to do it yourself...consider Dynabeads. Simple to install. It's arguably one of the best ways to balance a tire since it's dynamic and balanced for it's entire life.