Goodyear G614RST tires

ct0218

Well, since I have about 4 months left under warranty I started looking for the best price for replacement tires. I decided that if I find a deal that I'll just buy them and hold on to them until I am ready for a trip after my warranty expires. I realize that I don't want to store them too long because the life clock started ticking the day they were manufactured. Sears still has them priced at $205 per tire, plus mounting, balance, tax and road hazard. Even with my commercial account that comes to $1050 for 4. They said since these are special order tires they would not go on sale, but I could save 10% if I ordered them during a Friends and Family promotion. They had no idea when that would be so I would just have to check back. There are a couple of small retailers that say they will meet or beat Sears price but they have such a small site that I would take up the whole parking area or not fit at all. Still looking!

jbeletti

Hi Clark,

The Sear's price still sounds great. Wherever you decide to get them, be sure to work through the installation plan with them ahead of time. Remember my ordeal? Sears had no jacks capable of handling the trailer - so I knew that up front. I ended up calling and setting an appt. with Farm and Fleet as they told me they did have a jack capable. Oops - ended up being a tiny floor jack. I ended up jacking the trailer myself one tire at a time in the parking lot and doing the dismount/remount myself. Oh yeah, in the dark (except for parking lot lighting).

Jim

ct0218

Good suggestions, both Jim and John. Sears said they could handle it, but I will double check with them--it may be bigger than they were thinking. If all else fails I can do it myself also, I just prefer to pay them to do it.

Gary Steeves

Goodyear tires

I bought the Goodyears from Wingfoot, a commercial Goodyear truck tire dealer. He had all the right equipment - and even gave me $100 each for my 3 TrailAmerica tires. - but $0 for the 1 blown out TrailAmerica !!

I also bought 4 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor "Pro Grade" tires for the truck from him. I am VERY satisfied with all the tires.

I believe Wingfoot has locations in a number of states.

Gary Steeves

ct0218

Gary
I have those tires on my truck also. Super tires. Better traction in ice and snow than the Revo's they replaced. I wish they made the right size for Gail's Armada, maybe soon they will.

Cooper

That is a good price for the G614 I paid $219.00 ea. The road hazard was included at Discount Tire, NTB was a lot higher and you had to pay extra for road hazard.

Uncle Rog

Jacking at the frame?

Howdy, I have had to replace two blowouts, and have had all the tires replaced, what kind of a jack can raise high enough to jack at the frame. I am obviously not a JPL technician, but with out using a lot of blocks and stands how can you do it, especially out in the "field" ?....UR

ct0218

That is why I use a huge bottle jack--they tend to lift higher. I use blocks so that I don't have to waste what little lift there is.

Cooper

I bought an alumnium jack at Sears it weights about 30 pounds and is a 4 ton jack. It will fit between the tires and lifts it very easy. I tired a bottle jack on the side of the road with my last blow out. Every time a car or truck went by the trailer would move to scary. Be sure that you carry a couple big jackstands for safety. I now have an air compressor and an impact sure makes it nice to remove tires and air them up.

tdharley

I do not know if it was right or wrong but I jacked mine up with a 20 ton bottle jack. I set it up under the equalizer bar.

It went up with no problem. Both wheels were lifted off the ground and it seemed stable.

jpmorgan37

For my two cents, I have three things. Good Sam's ERS, a 6 x 8 wood block and a 12 ton bottle jack. I hope I never need any of them but if I do, that's the order that I will use them. The jack and wood block work great for brake adjustment and tire rotation. I put mine on the frame and it lifts both tires with no problem.
John