Storage Door Seal

busted2341

Scott,

Is there a fix for what I have found and several other owners have found on the storage doors? The insulation or rust or whatever is sandwitched in between the strage door panels is causing a discoloration and leaks water everytime the door is opened. :(

Scott

Not sure exactly what you are talking about but it sounds like water that gets inside the aluminum ring that makes up the outer edge of the compartment door. Is that correct? I know the entire door is aluminum and fiberglass, so it cannot be damaged by weather really - but it may not be completely water proof either. Is that what you are talking about?

ST

busted2341

Yes it is....but because of the water getting in, it seems that the bottom of the door is rusting because the brown around the door is very aparent and everytime you open the door your hit with water....Thanx.. for the response so quickly...

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
I had the some problem with mine when I bought it in June 06. My dealer replaced the compt. door to include a complete new door frame as well. Guess what, the new one leaks too. I am curious to see what input Scott will have on this issue.

Scott

I am going to tell you that the bottom tray of these exterior storage compartment doors will hold some water. That's why there's a big lip towards the inside of the coach to keep that water out. There just isn't a real way to keep water from getting in that gap of the door frame. Keeping it out of the coach is the primary function of that design. I really don't know how much can be done about this.
ST

busted2341

Hummmmm.......Thanx Scott, Heartland is the only coach I have owned with a storage door that accumulates water inside the door.....

Scott

I guess the only thing I can say to that is Nappanee Window does approximately 90% of the industrie's doors - including Keystone, Forest River, Gulf Stream, etc.
Honestly, we haven't had much negative feedback on the problem you are talking about. If you want, we can work with them to get your door replaced and see if that helps.
ST

svd

Scott,
I think what Frank is talking about is not the frame that is mounted in the coach, but rather the frame around the door itself. If you were to remove the door from the coach, you would have the door, with a frame around it. That is where the water seems to seep in. When you open the storage door and it is above your head, that is when water runs out on top of you (us).

Tom of Ypsi

I also have the same problem. I am wondering what type of insulation is being used in the doors themselves. If the insulation is getting wet and running down to the frame around the door this may be why the door is looking like it has rust on it.

Uncle Rog

It hasn't rained here in 6 mos, I will be curious to see if my hatch accumulates water, I am tempted to get out a hose and simulate a little precipitation.......................

busted2341

SVD,

Yes sir you have it right...I guess I didn't explain myself very well....I would bet that most everyone has the same type problem. Sooner or later it will be brown water falling on your head when u open the door.