Water collecting over slide covers

supernan1414

We have had our new 3185 RL with 3 slides all with the covers about 2 months now. Everything has been going very well, no problems except water collecting in the covers during rain. The first weekend we had it heavy rain was forecast so went and purchased 6" children s balls and put under LR slide, we had a 10 ft. drainage pipe and put the over the entertainment center and left the bedroom to fend for its left. When we got back the next weekend all had water collected in them. I have not seen any post with others having this problem. Any suggestion. BTW we have BH home now and rain was forecast yesterday, left slides open with nothing under them an all had water collected in them.

grizzlygiant

Water has always collected in our slide covers with no apparant harm. Watch out when you retract the slides less you get a nice cold shower. The only problem comes when you try to retract and the snow/ice on the covers is frozen...not nice.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The entertainment, kitchen, and bedroom toppers are taut have not had a puddling problem. The living room slide did, so I made (based on another member's idea) a PVC pipe support to slip under it. It runs the length of the slide roof. Only the upright supports are glued together. The long crossmembers just slip in. Sorry, I don't have any photos of it.

Looking in the owners manual for mine (Dometic), they don't mention any post-install adjustments that can be made, however. Drainage is a function of the height difference between the awning rail on the wall of the trailer and the mounting bracket on the outer wall of the slide. Some areas, like the living room, don't have a lot of room to put a steeper pitch on the topper.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
All three of your slides are very long. Therefore as John said due to the angle they do not run off as well and tend to pool the water.
The kids beach balls are a good idea but I think that PVC pipe tent under ths awning is the way to go. It will prevent the pooling.
I have used the beach balls but got tired of chasing them through the campground when it got windy. I now use PVC.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I tried the PVC and all it did was stretch the slide topper. Now I just let it pool and then retract the slide to drain it off.

JohnDar

After two seasons, I have not had that problem. If you try to lift the topper with the supports, I guess that might stretch it out over time. I just position mine to contact and support the topper, without putting a big ridge in it.

Boca_Shuffles

Water pools on our large slider cover. I use 2010augusta's suggestion of tying a small rope onto the small lever that prevents unrolling while driving down the road. By pulling down on this lever, the tension on the cover will slacken and the water will run off the slider.

Caution, use a long enough rope that you don't get a cold shower when you drain the puddles. The falling water will probably splash some mud up also.

The use of the rope might be easier than moving furniture in order to cycle the slider in and out.

jnbhobe

Be careful how you pull on the anti-billow lever they will break !!! Go ahead ask me how I would know that LOL

supernan1414

Bill (husband) thinks he may bring the slides in when we leave every week. If we leave them out and it rains and then dries it stains. He has to go up on roof and scrub it. Maybe we will get 6" drain pile for all of them. We have one and that wasn't a perfect solution but helped.

ChopperBill

There is a product called the Awning Airwedge. The info is kinda skimpy but you might try and contact them.
Airwedge_for_website_TM_400x201.jpg

JohnDar

Whatever you want to spend $50+ on, I guess. The PVC pipe supports work and cost a whole lot less. As for staining of the toppers, mine sit extended all summer. I clean the roof twice a season. Once at the beginning, after winter storage and again in late summer. I have not had a problem with stubborn stains on the toppers and just use Dawn soap and a soft brush from the roof.

2010augusta

Water pools on our large slider cover. I use 2010augusta's suggestion of tying a small rope onto the small lever that prevents unrolling while driving down the road. By pulling down on this lever, the tension on the cover will slacken and the water will run off the slider.

Cuation in doing this. I do not suggest this any more. it will break the lever.

ChopperBill

I emailed Airwedge about the dimensions and got this reply.
Hi Bill

Thank you for your interest in the Rv Awning Airwedge! The Airwedge is 8 feet long, 2 feet wide, 6 inches at the rear and 2 inches at the front. One RV Awning Airwedge will give sufficient support for toppers up to 14 feet long. More information can be found at www.awningairwedge.com under the "Info" tab.

I swear I didnt see those measurements before.:confused:

supernan1414

Thank You for the info. I think we will order one for the living room slide as that seems to be the one that collects the most as it is the widest.

ChopperBill

I ordered one today also. Had some rat hole money in my Pay Pal account from cleaning junk out of the shed and selling on eBay.