Question regarding power convertor and generators...

skyguy

We have a 2010 Bighorn 3670RL. I also have a 2k Honda generator. We will sometimes use the generator in order to watch TV while we dry camp. If I have not run the generator for a day or two, after I start the generator and run it on ECO Throttle, it will accelerate from a load put on it for about 5-10 seconds, then resume the ECO throttle setting. This will repeat every minute or so..

This can continue for a couple of hours or more, depending on how long it has been since the batteries were "topped off". I am assuming the "load" is caused by the convertor, and what ever charge sequence it goes through to charge the batteries.

QUESTION: Those of you who also use generators - does this sequence seem normal?? Is there any harm to the convertor from the generator cycling like that, or would it be much better to run the generator with the ECO MODE off until the batteries are charged?

2010augusta

Al, do you have a charge wizard pendent for your converter? The pendent allows you to override the system and force the converter into a quick charge mode untill the batteries are full. that might help with the cycling of the generator.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Al, if you do get the Charge Pendant, you will find the attached cord may be too short. depending on where your converter is mounted. I was able to extend it using a modular connector crimp tool and terminal connectors. The plug into the converter is the smaller, handset size (don't recall the designation), so you will need to put one on your extension. You will also need a modular union. The standard size connectors will work with that. Just make sure you line up the wire colors correctly and the crimp is complete.

Alternately, you can just make simple butt connections and tape them up.

I mounted the pendant in the switch cabinet, next to the surge suppressor display and fished the cable under it. My converter is actually mounted just behind the removable basement panel, on the stair framing.

View attachment 10474View attachment 10475

porthole

Retired
That Honda IS generator is designed to run the way you described, without causing damage to itself or the item connected to it.

Now, when we used our Honda 3K with the last trailer I would leave the ECO mode off if I was running the AC, just to keep the start up loads from nearly stalling the generator.