Florida question

olcoon

DW has a friend who is getting married in Key West the first weekend in Dec. She thinks we need to go, so becauseSWI (Sally Wants It), we are going to Florida.

My question(S), is what can we expect while down there? Weather, bugs (skeeters), will we be able to swim in the ocean without joining the polar bear club, and how easy will it be to get into a campgound without, or with a late reservation? I've only been down there once, in the summer, and didn't have to worry about a campground. Right now it looks like we are going to be down there for about a month, and going to be from one end of the state to the other.

Bighurt

Water temps in the keys in Dec average 72°F, so Polar Bear club won't be there.

I find its always best to have a reservation no matter where I'm going. It would be very iritating to travel such a long distance and have to find alternate accomidations at the last minute.

I try and follow the 7 P's.

Proper previous planning prevents **** poor performance!

Hopefully others will chime in with experiances in the keys? I think there are height limitations on a few bridges...

traveler44

I would make reservations and the people you talk to can give you alot of info. on the area. We have been to Key West but stayed at a motel. We stayed at an rv park at Key Largo and dove the reefs at John Pennekamp. The best bet is to catch a dive or snorkle boat at Key Largo. The reefs are shallow but a distance out. If you only stay at some rv parks for a couple of days they will try to squeeze you in but you might not get the prettiest site which didn't bother us because we were there to swim and sightsee. Enjoy the sun. Tom M.

ChopperBill

We spent 2 days at the Sugarloaf Keys RV park 6 years ago. $85 per night in a site without sewer hook up and no beach! Crips, its probably $185 now. They would send out a sewer truck for the paltry sum of $20. Only bugs the bugged us were the no seeum's. Pesky little rascals!

hoefler

We have reservations for Nov. 12- 15. Made them last Jan. Season starts Nov. 15, rates jump significantly. We are paying $115 a night off season. All the people I have talked to, seem to agree, if you don't have a reservation, you won't find a place worth staying at.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We stayed at Boyd's RV Park, mile marker 5, several years ago. It is very tight for a large 5er. I broke out a DS rear window driving to the sight. It was $90 a night then. The Florida Keys are expensive to stay at. If you are a Thousand Trails member they have a park on Sunshine Key. Check it out at www.1000trails.com They also have a special now where you can get a regional membership for just $499 a year. A bargain.

DW_Gray

I strongly recommend you start making reservations immediately. Now with that said, I arrived to Florida on January 22nd this year and left the state on April 14th. I never made a reservation more than 2-3 days before arrival. Once I just showed up without a reservation to a campground full of snowbirds and still was able to get a spot. I stayed mostly at Military campgrounds where possible and all the others were campgrounds with Passport America discount.

As far as the weather, I hope it will be better this year than this past winter. DW and I drove all over the state looking for warm climate and didn't find it until we got to Key West. The locals told us it was the coldest winter they had in 70 years. Winter is the best time of the year to be in Florida.

Boca_Shuffles

You can make reservations at the State Parks 11 months in advance. That's the good news and the bad. People will reserve their spots (and their friends) exactly 11 months in advance. If you try after 10 AM, you are probably too late.

However, plans change, so you might be able to squeeze in somewhere. Check the reservation system daily for cancellations. If you get a spot in the keys, plan your entire trip around that rare occurrence.

State Parks do have about 10-25% of their sites on a first come, first serve basis. Expect to be there at 8:00AM or sooner to stand in line.

From Key West to Naples, you can take your dog to dinner with you at outside table. The rest of the state, forget it.

There is a reason that houses have "Florida Rooms". The no-see-ums can be bad at about 4 pm.

Campsite prices will be lower (about half) once you are North of the east-west line at Sarasota. The temperature will be colder also.

olcoon

Thanks for the info! We do have 1 reservation so far, on Grassy Key the Jolly Roger RV Park. It's Passport America, so we got the 1/2 price, and also got it for 5 days! We are just planning on being in the Keys for those 5 days & then playing by ear from then. Got some visiting to do in the central part of the state, and also one in the Northern part. As we really don't know much about Florida, other than that we don't know what to do. Would like to see the Everglades, and the snorkling sounds like it's something we'll probably do. Won't be able to stay at the military campgrounds...did my 4 years & got out.

Vtxkid

If you want to stay at a nice RV resort, Bluewater RV resort is the place to stay! Most of the sites are directly on the water and their is plenty of room for the 5er's... We stayed there last April for a week and it was awesome! It is located at the 14.5 mile marker and they are a full service resort (full hook-up,laundry room, pool, etc.) For what you pay at the other campgrounds, its definitly worth the couple extra dollars. Here is the web site... www.bluewaterkey.com Your trying to go when it is considered "in season" so I agree with the others that you need to make your reservations now...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks for the info! We do have 1 reservation so far, on Grassy Key the Jolly Roger RV Park. It's Passport America, so we got the 1/2 price, and also got it for 5 days! We are just planning on being in the Keys for those 5 days & then playing by ear from then. Got some visiting to do in the central part of the state, and also one in the Northern part. As we really don't know much about Florida, other than that we don't know what to do. Would like to see the Everglades, and the snorkling sounds like it's something we'll probably do. Won't be able to stay at the military campgrounds...did my 4 years & got out.

An interesting place to visit in Florida is Fort Myers. The Thomas Edison (light bulb inventor) - Henry Ford winter home complex/museum is there and a very interesting place to see. Just up the road in Sarasota is the winter home of the Ringling Brothers circus where you can visit the Ringling Brothers Circus museum. Then there is Cypress Gardens with water skiiing exhibitations. This is all on the west (Gulf) coast of Florida.