Touble baking with our Half Time oven

traveler44

We have been baking in the 1/2 time but it doesn't cook for us in 1/2 the time. I baked brownies and 17 min. should have been 1/2 but had to add 10 min. after middle was still gooey. Mary baked bread and had to add extra time too. It is still easier than using the gas but wondered if we were doing something wrong?--1.Glass turntable in. 2. Metal cooking tray on that. 3. Glass baking dish on top. 4. set to 1/2 time. 5. Set temp. 6. Set cook time and start. Thanks Tom M.

azbound

Sounds like your doing it correct. Our works great and in half the time. Are you sure the Microwave portion is working? My understanding is the Microwave cooks from the inside at the same time the Convection cooks from the outside. If the inside of your brownies are not done it may be that there is something wrong with the Microwave when using the Halftime feature. Just a thought.

RoadJunkie

I have never used my microwave/half-time oven in the half-time mode. I always figured the "half-time" mode was a gimmick and not a literal expectation. It sounds like you're taking the right approach learning how to adapt your recipes to the cook times of the oven. If nothing else, this thread made me hungry! I can almost smell the brownies from here...yummmm.

lwmcguir

Ours works fine and in 1/2 the normal time. With the metal rack in there I assumed the microwave portion didn't kick in. Maybe someone from the factory can chime in here.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
RoadJunkie, you never use the half time mode? Aw man. We had the half time in our last BH but do not have one in the new one. We miss it. It was great.
Traveler44, Tom, if you don't get an answer here on the forum call Midwest Sales at 800-772-7262. I am sure someone can help.

Peace
Dave

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
HI Tom and Mary, I don't have much trouble but somtimes it depends on the thickness of the product you are cooking. I can cook biscuits in half the time but a pie may take alittle longer dew to how thick it is.Kathy

csalmons

Sorry for the long delay on my response. I had some logging in trouble and I don't have access to this on the weekends. Anyway, if you are having issues please call us at the number below so we can assist you. Some items can take a little longer than 1/2 the time to cook depending on the thickness, but keep in mind, if you are cooking things one after another the longer the unit runs the quicker the items will cook. So if you are making 3 batches of cookies, lets say, the first batch may take slightly longer than the second due to the fact that the oven is already heated up, the 3rd batch could take a little less than 1/2 the time. Once you are use to cooking with the 1/2 time you will get a good feel for how fast items cook. If you feel your items are not cooking properly but the unit does look to be working as usual, just give us a call. A good way to check things out is to cook something in microwave only mode, then cook something in the convection mode, if both are working fine, then there is not a problem (the 1/2 time mode uses aspects of the micro and convection heating). It will also help us to figure out what is happening if you can call and say that one of the modes is not working properly. If you have any questions, just call or post.

As you can see the 1/2 time cooking is no gimmick:). Thanks, and I look forward to helping you out.:eek:

RoadJunkie

Well, Dave...perhaps I am missing the smell of fresh baked cookies, or a yummy apple pie. I did turn it on during the PDI, but it sure didn't smell like cookies! I'll give a try and keep you guys posted on the results.

traveler44

Thank you for all of the replies. I will check out the seperate modes like Cari said. Sorry to here you lost your half time Dave-- it looks like it will be fun to use once I get it right. Tom M.