Generator

B. Lee

Firecapt422
I an buying a 2925rk and would like to put in a LP Genrator. Are the units Generator ready? If not how difficult is it to install a Generator??:confused:

billd

You can order from the factory to have it generator ready. Otherwise most do not come ready for a generator. The dealer should be able to add the componets and the generator for you.

Bill

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I investigated an on board generator and discovered that onan etc. are VERY proud of their products. After having a long hard talk with myself I am still using my 300seb yamaha when we use the battery power up with the inverter. It will fully carge the battery banks through the inverter / charger in 4-5 hrs. If I win the lottery I will go with on board model for sure...........

tdharley

I have had 2 travel trailers, one motorhome & now my Big Horn.

I picked up one of these 4000 watt knockoff Japanese generators & have not used it once in my trailer, it sits in my pickup bed just in case. Most of the camping I do is usually with full hookups. I think that unless you are going to do alot of dry camping a good inverter system is the better way to go. Less weight, expense, maintanence & noise.

My last rig had a 5.5 Onan built in. I put more hours on the generator exercising it, then using it. I could have used the storage room more than the generator.

Midastouch

I'm generator shopping myself ...

tdharley ...

That is the very reason, after talking to many about getting a generator ... why I didn't. I am hooked up to power, fulltime, of course and any camping I do will be with full hookups ... I am, however, doing some research on what I should purchase in case of a power outage. I don't want to be out back on the property and no one be able to do anything in the house or in the Grand Canyon.

Any suggestions there on what I should consider for that purpose to make sure I can still function?

I'll have water, but I want to make sure I can stay warm/cool and be able to carry on here. I got to get ready for work 5 days a week .... need the blowdryer, coffee maker, lights, etc..... Everyone has a different opinion .... especially the stores selling the generators!

ct0218

The contractor type generators are a good choice if a little extra noise is not a problem. I have a Generac OHV 4000W continuous generator that I use as backup power. Close to $800, electric start, and I have a lot of hours on mine with no problems. Not really that noisy, I used it on construction jobsites. Idles with no load, and runs about 13 hours on a tank (4 gal), 7.8 HP. H. Depot used to sell them but I haven't seen them there lately. Maybe online would be a good place to look.

Last edited:

tdharley

Well thats adifferent story.

This is the 4000 watt generator I bought as a backup.

http://www.homier.com/detail.asp?SessionKey=X%2fYDbSqh1GJyZ5q4fwBMCl7wcxTy3qGhT6dJlkseeWRw%2b2Yyn1WJ%2fOtKYvIXml%2fmCqhiG3DQg3%2fd&dpt=&cat=&sku=03237

It is fairly quiet. I have a 5000 watt Honda that is wired into my home. So to compare this one to that I would say that this is not as quiet but a lot more quiet than the ones my contractors use on the site. The generators they use are the Colemans, Generac's & the other Home Depot basic units. Those units are ok but loud.

In our area they have certain decible ratings that are allowed at County parks. Not too many generators make that. I had a Honda EU3000, that was the quietest one I ever had. It can also be hooked up to a second unit via a parallel cable to double the wattage.

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I am still a fan of my Yamaha portable = to honda eu3000, with a 450 ah battery bank and 160 ah reserve. My xantrex 2000w / inverter charger can power most 110 systems very well. The 100a charger will power up the entier power plant in 4-5 hrs, so you do not have to run thegenerator all the time. The best of both worlds. I have an engine hoist from harbor freight to load the yamaha into the truck bed. Lots of options out there..............UR
-

GARTH

B. Lee:
Because we dry camp 100% of the time we ordered our 3055 generator ready so that I could install an Onan 5500 LP generator. We ordered our coach from out of state so we weren't sure what "generator ready" meant. Well the generator compartment comes fully enclosed. It is really set up for a suitcase style generator. The Onan generator must be mounted in an area that is completely open on the bottom side which meant that I had to cut out the bottom of the generator compartment, fabricate mounting brackets for the generator and exhaust. This was a big project, but I was able to do this as I own a fabrication shop. You may want to rethink the Onan 5500 LP, but in my opinion this is the best choice of generator for an RV. We have moved our RV many times after setting up because we were beside someone who owned an after market generator ( a generator from ****!). If you don't want your fellow campers angry with you stick with Onan, Yamaha, or Honda. Another way that we have gotten around having to run a generator was to install solar panels on the roof. They won't run your air conditioner but we run our lights and with an invertor run our coffee maker every morning. If you are going to dry camp the majority of the time I would recommend going with the Onan, but if not I would go with the Honda or Yamaha suitcase generator. Hope this helps. Garth

Midastouch

What kind of wattage do I need to run the furnace and some basic stuff, like TV, and some 110 outlets? I don't want to buy too big because of the cost but I do want to be able to survive like I am now if an ice storm comes through and knocks the power out ....

What do you need to run the 15K air? Bottom line?

I don't want to end up spending big money on something that sits around for an emergency and I start praying for an incident to happen to justify this thing sitting somewhere ... for the "just in case" incident.

I would appreciate advice that could tell me "Don't buy anything smaller than ------" I'm not so much worried about the noise level is the price is right and reliable!

I guess we could beat this generator issue to death, huh?!!!!:rolleyes:

tdharley

Amps x Volts = Watts

Add up all your expected draw (the amperage is usually on the plate on the back) x 120 volts = thats the wattage of the generator you will need.

Accept in the case of a capacitor start motor such as an air conditioner. I beleive you add 15% to that, but I am not sure of that number.

Good rule of thumb

ct0218

I gathered from Midastouch's comments that he was not in a campground but wanted backup power, and when he went camping it would be full hookups and would not need a generator. Based on that scenario he would not need to spend a lot of money on a "quiet" generator because he would not be disturbing anyone, so I suggested a model that is a little louder than an Onan at 1/3 the price. Maybe I misunderstood his requirements.

Midastouch

ct0218....

Thanks ... I am in a fairly permanant location and without going into again, my story ... I sold my home to my son with 3 acres and I am out on the back acre, on a site with "full hookups". I want to be able to still "survive" like I am back here if the power goes out ... I have a grandbaby on the way in April and we are out in the country. Power outages, while not a regular occurence, do happen and I don't want to be back here unable to maintain and all of us having to leave. Our power was out for 6 days one winter because of ice and power lines being down ... it could happen this year, who knows .... but it's 23 degrees here as I type this and I'm comfy ... want to know I can stay that way if the lights go out!

Hey all ... I suppose it may or may not make a difference but I am a "lady" that isn't afraid to get her hands dirty and is looking for any and all info on how to maintain my coach and do things myself, if and when I need to, so .....;) might explain some of the things I seem to not know too much about!

Thanks again!

jpmorgan37

Midastouch;

Hi Lynn, and I must say one heck of student too. Not only asking the questions for the past nine months, but knowing what questions to ask and then putting them to good use. I've enjoyed following your posts.

Now, as far as a generator is concerned, something like this should run your GC winter or summer with no problem. It won't run two A/C's or Heat Pumps, but it will run one and it doesn't cost a fortune either. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3708

Keep warm,

John

Midastouch

As always ... John, thanks for your info! You have been a great help along the way .... I just happen to have a Harbor Freight here in Shreveport, so I may ease over there and see .... wondering if I can get the same deal in-store ... saving the shipping costs. I'll let you know.:D

ct0218

I saw a very good deal on a diesel generator at Costco yesterday in Atlanta. A little too heavy to haul around, but could be a good backup generator at a home that should last a long time. Diesel, 5500 watts continuous, soundproof enclosure, $1095. Should have a long run time on a tank too.

J

Jim_1899

I bought a generator that did not cost a lot but would provide me with power to run the RV using the air conditioner, also provide me me power in case of a power failure at home or work. I have thought about if the power goes out at home I am going to live in my BH, but then I may need two generators (one for the RV and one for the freezer and frig at home).

I wanted the Honda but since I won't be using it much the extra cost changed my mind to a lower cost product that will do the job, with more noise. The one that TDHarley had a link to looked very good.

I bought one from Cabela's for $399 "the description is shown below"

Get portable electric power when and where you want it with this feature-packed Generator. 3,500 running watts and up to 4,000 peak watts of power with a run time of 12 hours at 50% load from a 4-gallon fuel tank. With a noise level of 68dB it's quiet, only 8dB above normal conversation. Receptacles include a 30-amp 120/240-volt twist-lock, one 30-amp 120-volt RV receptacle, a 20-amp 120-volt, and a 12-volt output with charging cord for charging 12-volt batteries. Push-to-reset circuit breakers. Single-cylinder, four-stroke, air-cooled engine with recoil start and low-oil shut-off. 1"-diameter tubular steel frame. Includes DC charging cord, oil funnel, spark arrester and sparkplug wrench.
Dimensions: 23-1/4"L x 17-1/2"W x 17-1/4"H.
Weight: 100 lbs.

Last edited:

Midastouch

Made the decision and ordered!

Well ... thanks for all the info, again. After visiting Harborfreight yesterday and getting back online this morning ... I looked into the Champion 4000 watt that Jim mentioned and read some reviews, which were all really good (I also like the 30AMP RV plug already on it, makes it simple for me!) on various sites, etc... found that PartsAmerica had the generator for $299.00 with shipping at about $62.00, so ..... after finding out that I could return this to my local Advanced Auto store... I went ahead and ordered it. It will be delivered to my door by the 14th and for the money, I don't think I could beat it, so I'll let ya know!

After alot of consideration, being in a rural residential area, when the power does go out, while they work to get it back on, this should do me just fine and the cost was easy to justify! :D