Unhitching

mo11

Just a quick question about unhitching. I have found myself sometimes after backing into a site, my truck is not facing straight ahead anymore and is turned one way or the other. I then struggle to get it aligned before unhitching which can be quite a chore sometimes. Can you unhitch eventhough your tow vehicle may be sitting at any angle other than straight ahead aligned with the 5th wheel?

Thanks, Mo

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
As long as you can raise the trailer off the hitch to unlock it and clear the back of the truck when you pull away, you should be fine. I would not want to hitch the trailer at a sharp angle, however. That situation could put excessive sideways stress on the front jacks, should you smack the pin a bit too hard.

Boca_Shuffles

You can unhitch only if your TV front tires are facing forward. You probably will have to straighten the tires before movement. Once the kingpin is clear of the hitch, then you can turn your front tires to exit your campsite.

Remember that if you came in at a sharp angle, you might not be able to drop you tailgate to clear the hitch. In this case you might be able to raise the kingpin higher than the tailgate, once the hitch is released and you've only moved a few inches.

JohnDar

You can unhitch only if your TV front tires are facing forward. You probably will have to straighten the tires before movement. Once the kingpin is clear of the hitch, then you can turn your front tires to exit your campsite.

Remember that if you came in at a sharp angle, you might not be able to drop you tailgate to clear the hitch. In this case you might be able to raise the kingpin higher than the tailgate, once the hitch is released and you've only moved a few inches.

Good point to add.

caissiel

I have a long wheel base truck with a 8ft box. When I am not straight and the pin box will hit the Tailgate I have to be carefull not to drop the tailgate to far down as it will hit the front storage wall. There is not much room behind the truck when the trailer is hooked in the pin so I usually ask the good wife to move the truck and I take care of the tail gate.

Have anyone asked the wife to operate the TV while doing the trailer setup. My DW jumps in the TV everytime and it makes it much easier to level and setup because I am outside doing the work instead of getting in and out of the truck. In tight lots I get her to get in the truck and I guide her in the site. Its much less work and never take a chance of backing into a tree.

Team work sure is cheaper then an expensive Leveling system.

JohnDar

We pretty much do the same. I do the "rough" work, getting close to position and off the road, lined up where I want to be. Then I put the wife behind the wheel to fine tune it, jockey the rig while I place boards, and to pull away while I handle the jacks and tailgate.

Same when we're hitching up. I get close and then guide her in. I use a magnetic pole on the hitch and a decal I put on the nose to line up, but I can't see the hitch itself with my bed cover rolled up.

Back to the original post, if you can't drop the tailgate, then you need to either jockey into a better position or make sure your assistant understands FORWARD SLOOOWWLY while you lower the gate. Personally, I'd go for repositioning and be safe.

mo11

All, thanks for the great replies I am still new to this whole 5er thing and I really appreciate this site. I guess if you think about it the pin never really chaged orientation, it's still just a round stationary pin floating in the air as a target right? So it really would not matter at what angle something was trying to get off it. Also thanks for the tailgate tip.

Thanks again Mo

caissiel

I build my own tail gates and need to have the V opening to be narrower then most in order to use it for work. So I have to be straighter to hook up. The white pin cover was history the first day.
As soon as I buy a new truck I put in my grilled V Notched tailgate. and store the truck one.
I find it better for access and practicality.