Toy Hauler Towing Experience

hddcyclone

I posting to ask what you all think about the way your Cyclone tows, both loaded and unloaded. Also, I'd like to know if you have/don't have airbags or any aftermarket suspension on your pickups. I recently made a trip with 2 bikes in the back of mine, around 1,700 lbs, and the rig was porpoising like crazy when going down bumpy roads. It felt like the back end of the truck was going up and down way more than normal. I understand weight distribution has everything to do with this, just wondering what everyone's experiences with loaded/unloaded garages are, and if airbags might help this at all.

Thanks

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Some will say you need to spend $1000- $3000 on a fancy hitch or pin box or re-distribute your load which you can't do much. I'd replace your stock shocks with Bilsteins and get Air Bags first (about $550 total if you do it yourself).

truknutt

Committed Member
I had the same thing happen as we returned from Goshen, IN last year with 2 bikes aboard. One section of the turnpike had her going crazy! I have since put a set of Firestone Ride-Rites on which seem to have done the trick so far.

trvlrerik

I am also a huge fan of Firestone Ride Rite air bags. My single rear wheel truck is like night and day after I put them on, installation took all weekend but was worth it.

I also used to keep my front tires at 65 psi as I felt it gave me a better ride. I got scared of tire issues with weight and returned to 85psi in the fronts and surges and "porposing" went away.

I have attempted to adjust water weight and load configuration to test the ride but I have not had consistant road conditions for a fair test. In my opinion road conditions are a lot of the problem. Anybody driving east on I 40 into Memphis can understand this.

DW_Gray

Interesting. I've never had any problem like described above, not once this past year towing 14K miles.

hoefler

Looking at your picture, do you have a short box truck? Where is the center of your fifth wheel in relation to the center of axle? To me, it looks and sounds like your hitch needs to be moved forward to get more weight on the front axle.

hddcyclone

Yes I do have a short box, the pin is 2 inches ahead of the axle, for this very reason. I think I might be needing some shocks on the truck, may be some of the problem. Also thinking the triple axle haulers would probably resist this type of movement more because of 2 pivot points in the suspension. It doesn't seem like the front end of the truck moves at all, i can watch the rear raise/lower a bunch!

Detmer

I have a 3210 and it tows just fine with my 2005 dodge LWB SRW. But I do have airbags. The 3210 is a triple axle though.
I also carry two bikes but it doesn't really feel any different whether they are in or not.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Looks to me like your truck is 4 years old. If you have never replaced the shocks on it you probably need to as you as running the factory shocks. Bilstein shocks will help. Also I would recommend air bags also. The air bags will not increase the carrying capacity but will help with the bouncing issues. MHO

watchthebox

I haven't had any problem with my Cyclone, both heavily and lightly loaded in the back. I have Super Springs on my F250.

Vtxkid

With my Duramax SB SRW & Firestone air bags with my 3010 loaded including 100 gallon FW (but with only one bike so far), no problems at all...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Maybe it's the difference between the Dodge and Ford (Chevy) truck. :) Just kidding with ya

DW_Gray

Hmm... After reading your comments again, I wonder what's your weight distribution on the Cyclone. Have weighed your rig fully loaded? Do you know what your pin weight is? After hitching up, how much does your truck bed lower? Do the truck springs flatten out or still have some curve in them? Are the heavy load spring bars touching the stop pads?

After some thought, I'm thinking you may have to much weight to the rear of the Cyclone and not enough on the pin. That's one thing I can think of that would cause your truck's rear end to go up and down so much.

It could be the shocks as mentioned above but I'm not so sure.

gpshemi

Bilsteins and get Air Bags here. Love em. Golf cart, mess of bikes, extra spare tire, and dog stuff in the back. I'll haul mine anywhere...

porthole

Retired
The cheapest thing you can do for a test is to fill the water tanks. Fresh water on the 3010 will add over 800 pounds in front of the axles, and add some weight to the pin.

Your "porpoising" issue sounds like a weight distribution problem, you do not have sufficient weight on the pin. The only way you will know for sure is to weigh the trailer at the axles.
If your trailer is not level when loaded you also could have significant more weight on one axle over the other (trailer). The trailer properly loaded, hitched, and level will have almost equal weight on all 4 trailer tires.
Air bags can help with a leveling problem, but only for high pin weight.

For an example though, I have air bags on my GMC SB. With the garage empty I run between 65-75 psi in the bags. With either a bike or golf cart only (either or, about 800 pounds each) in the garage I run about 55 psi and with both the bike and cart I run about 45 psi.

1st thing I would check is the level, make sure you have equal load on the axles.

boxcar1511

wow, porthole 65-75 psi in bags. i've got a 4012 when we max out with 110 gallons of water, full tank of fuel for gen, golf cart, 3 overloaded beer coolers, weekend worth of food grills and all the other junk, I never run over 15 to 20 psi max. Iff I put the cart up to the front door and coolers beside it, she runs dead level. Iff I go with anymore preasure than that she likes to bounce. It took me a few pulls to get my load were it needed to be,but when you find the sweet spot lock it down and let it roll. Forgot to mention my tow rig is a ford f250 superduty single rear wheel

Vtxkid

I ran 45 psi in my air bags this past weekend with the rear unloaded (no bikes or cart) along with 1/3 fresh water and it was too much. That was even with fire wood in the truck bed, three in the rear seat and the wife by my side... It rode ok but noticed the Cyclone was a little low in the rear and the Chevy was a little too high in the rear. I was running max of 35 psi before and I think I will stick with that from now on...

porthole

Retired
I have the wireless remote so I tend to change it around a bit. But usually I will set the pressure to have the truck be about 1-2" lower then the unloaded height. With our Cyclone that gets the trailer level. Must be fairly close. When I had the trailer weighed at Mor/Ryde (each tire) the weights were all very close to each other.

gpshemi

45 is getting to be too much for mine too. I run around 35-40. I'm going to lift the trailer in it's shackles though here soon to try and get it more level. That should help some. Have you adjusted the ride heights?