Gps

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Thinking about some type of portable gps, like a Tom,Tom, or something similar. Anyone have any suggestions?

ct0218

Terry
How portable--something to carry in your pocket like for hiking, etc.? Or for a laptop that could be used while driving? I have have a laptop mount in my GMC office and I use Microsoft Streets and Trips and Delorme StreetAtlas USA, both with a GPS antenna. My laptop has a 15 in screen so it makes navigating and finding places a lot easier, has voice commands, and can be downloaded to my PDA for handhelp use. I haven't used the PDA function but will eventually.

Tom of Ypsi

I have the DeLormme Street Atlas, $99, on my laptop and like it. The laptop is a little bit cumbersome but I am planning on putting some type of laptop holder in my truck just have to figure out how I want to do it.

ct0218

Tom, I use the Ram mount and like it. It mounts in existing seat mount holes so no new holes, and is very adjustable. I cut about 2 1/2 inches off the mount to lower it because it is a little too high to use comfortably.

Tom of Ypsi

Clark, Where did you get the Ram mount for your laptop? My laptop also has a 15" screen, sound like this might be what I am looking for.

trdeal

Thanks for the replys. My wife would like something that she can carry with her in her purse. I don't know anything about them, so any help is appreciated. We thought about the lap top thing, which is a possibility,but she does not always carry her laptop with here.

tdharley

I use the Magellan RoadMate 800.

I originally bought the TomTom and returned it to Circiut City for the Magellan. I found the M easier to navigate (larger buttons). I also liked being able used a SD card to hold my music & photos. Not to mention it comes with a 20 GB internal memory.

It comes with an internal MP3 player & photo viewer. The drawback to the MP3 player is that unless you hack it you cannot use the navigation & MP3 player at the same time. It is easy to hack since they all run on the windows ce platform. The photo viewer is nice to keep my photos handy and show off my grandkids

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Garmin Nuvi 350 for us

We just purchased a Garmin Nuvi 350 and love it. While we are not fulltimers we do occassionaly get out and about and have wished we had one a couple of times in the past. I really like the voice directions and the fact that it will tell you to "turn right onto Richland Rd. in .8 miles". We have waited this long for the price to come down and you can now get them at Walmart for $488, that's about half the price of what they sold for when they first came out. I would have liked to gotton the 660 version with the bigger screen and FM transmitter and bluetooth but the price was a bit more than I was willing to pay.

Good luck,

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
We have thr Garmin Nuvi 360 and really like it. We got it on the internet for a little over $650. It has a vast database of POIs (Point of Interest) that includes businesses. This function is about the same as having the "National Yellow Pages". Since it has a bluetooth connection to my cell phone, I am able to touch the "Call" button on the Nuvi and it will dial my cellphone. We can also make and receive phone calls using the Nuvi and the phone's voice dialing. The Nuvi is about the size of a deck of cards and has the ability to store and play MP3s and photos. In addition, extra memory can be installed to support this function. It is great for navigation when traveling -- just tell it where you want to go and it guides you there. Make a wrong turn and it will recalulate and give you directions to get back on your route.

svd

I just saw the Nuvi 350 on sale at Walmart last night for $448. I think the only difference between it and the 360 is that it doesn't have bluetooth. It looks like a great unit.

nscaler2

We are using a Garmin iQue_M3. It is last years model, however is still available on a number of sites for a very reasonable price. It is a PDA that appears to be made by HP for GARMIN. It is sweet because you can use the thing as PDA as well as a GPS. Gomes with all the accessories needed to mount it in your vehicle and power it up from a cigarette lighter socket while going down the road. Here is a link to it and happens to be where I bought it. http://www.tigergps.com/garminiquem3.html?gclid=CIuj_sPLgIkCFQlQWAodWHtfAA

Uncle Rog

I have used a Magellan map series hand held for 3-4 years. It has a car mount, external antenna and can use 12v power. I have never even read the owners manual (smart) it is so easy to use. It has been used on several hunting trips and it is fun to mess with on trips..............

ct0218

Tom, I ordered it online. Do a search for "ram truck mounts" and you'll find plenty. It is a good sturdy mount. I do get some shaking, but then again everything shakes in a 1 ton truck.

trdeal

Thanks everyone for all replies. That is what I call service with a smile. This will give us something to chew on.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
We have a Magellen 800. I like it. Of course there are some features that I would like to see incorperated that Garmin has on thier screen,but...
You still have to know where you are going and read the maps ahead. We where going to our favorite campground about 130 miles away and the Magellen wanted me to go down a very windy narrow road when there was a freeway right there, so back to the setup page and say "use that freeway" no it still wanted to take me on the narrow road. So drove the way I wanted and it rerouted the right way. Just read the maps ahead of time and all will be ok. I guess that is the navigator in me.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hey Sailorand,
That's what's nice about our Garmin Nuvi 350, If I decide to follow a different path, it will recalculates the route for me based on where I drive.

I do agree that you will still need to refer to a map once in a while, but for the most part this Garmin reall ydoes a great job.

Mark

tdharley

My Magellen does a reroute on the fly also.

What I want to see is truckers routes & low bridges. I do love my Onstar for that.

I encountered a low bridge situation on the Brooklyn Queens expressway last year due to construction. I found myself on small , real small side streets. Onstar stayed on the phone with me and directed me street by street & turn by turn back to safety.

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
Our Garmin Nuvi 360 has a setting in its setup that permits us to indicate that we are traveling as a truck and therefore, it routes us using truck routes.

tdharley

Hey Ken

Are you sure about the truck route on the Garmin? The only reason I ask is that I looked up your model on their site and they make no mention of truck routes or low bridges.

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to be a wiseguy but it is important to know. According to their site they do let you pick the vehicle you have but that is for icon purposes only.

I even did a search for gps, low bridges & truck routes and the only thing that came back was the TomTom in Europe only. I also went to the Map Source web site , which is the cartography company that Garmin uses and they make no mention of it.

I am very interested about this as I will be needing a new system for my new truck. Also I would hate to hear about you finding out the hard way.

Thanks Tom