Dimmer switches

tvermette

I just purchased a 2010 Landmark and would like to change out some of the light switches with dimmer lights. Anyone done this?

2010augusta

to the best of my knowledge florescent lights can't be dimmed. some of the other lights could be dimmed but most don't have switches.

jimtoo

Hi tvermette,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I am sure that the florescent lamps take a fixed voltage to operate.

Hopefully one of our electrical wizards will jump in and help out soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I plan to do the same thing in the bedroom lights. Hopefully I'll install a switch on each side.

This is what I found that other RVers are using.

http://www.atcomp.com/php/product0371.html?type_id=2&prod_cat=10&prod_id=98

You could find this on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-RV-AUTO-TRAI..._Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56305a13cf

I agree with DW on the dimmers for the bedroom. This has been a pet peeve of mine for many years. I started a project to add dimmers to our and it has been on hold for a while. Mostly because of how particular I am about how it turns out. I am adiment that it looks as if it where a standard item and not a modification. Now that this has been brought up again I may look into it again.

Mark

jbeletti

Great links Dave.

The bed reading lights are tied together in the roof of the slide. To control them separately would likely mean you'd need to control them at each light.

What one could do is install one of those wall dimmers on the wall next to the bed in the circuit that feeds up to the lights, then keep the light off, at the light, for the light you may not need at a specific time.

That all said, maybe one could fish a new line from light to light, but getting it down the inside of the slide side wall would be really tough.

By the way, I saw my first dimmable florescent light fixtures at the Gillette Cam-Plex. The exhibition hall is completely dimmable. Cool stuff. Doubt that technology has reached the small bulbs used in short residential florescent fixtures yet.

Jim

tvermette

Thanks for all of your replys. I should have been more clear, I want to dim the "non-flourescent" lights....mainly the ones above the couch. I agree with mrcomer, I want it to look standard... Getting the unit in a few days, will let you know how I make out... Looking forward to adding some cool tweaks! :)