Caulking the gutter where two sections meet

patrick1945

On both sides of my BH there is a joint where two sections of gutter meet. There is about an 1/8" gap where caulking doesn't want to stay especially when moving over the road.

My trailer will be staying in place for an extended time and I would like to avoid the stains that are caused by this gap.

Has anyone found a "best" way to close this gap?

jnbhobe

An idea might be to clean the inside of the gutter and apply a small piece of aluminum tape there

hoefler

Find a piece of plastic tubing that will fit snugly in the gutter. Clean the ends of both gutters thoroughly on the outside and ends. Take a good sealer like polyurethane, do not use silicone. Apply an even layer of sealer to the outside of the gutter, let set up, remove tubing.

Jarhead

USMC Phantom Phixer
Here's what I did. Cleaned the inside and outside of the gutter with white gas (Coleman fuel). Took a small piece of wax paper and put it over the gap on the outside, holding it in place with masking tape. Using a small amount of white self leveling sealing caulking on the inside of the gutter I filled the gap and spred it using my finger down the gutter (about an inch) in both directions. The next day I removed the masking tape and wax paper and the result looked pretty good. That was done about a year ago and it still is holding up ok.