Fuse Keeps Blowing

edmarsha

We have a 2011 3585RL Bighorn 5th wheel that we bought in July this year. We have a fuse that keeps blowing every time we move. It is the fuse that controls the down lights over the living room tv and two under-the-counter lights on either side of the stove. We replace the fuse and all is well until we move the 5th wheel and then when we get to our destination, the fuse is blown again. Dealer seems to be having a very hard time finding the problem. Any ideas??

jimtoo

Hi edmarsha,

Look under the kitchen/LR slide and in probably the front outside corner you will find a junction box with the 12v wiring in side. Make sure your disconnected from shore power and I would disconnect the battery also. Look inside the box and see if one of the terminal covers is missing or a wire with a bad spot.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sounds like your dealer is not that good with a 12V system. There are only 2 wires that feed everything in that circuit (fuse). A B+ and a ground wire. Since most everthing in your BH walls is made of "WOOD", start with this. Remove everything from the walls and cabinets that are on that circuit. By remove, I mean remove the screws and pull them down/out with the wires still connected. I do believe that the white wire is B+ and the black is ground (I hope). A 12V test lite will tell you. Tug on the wires GENTLY and see if they have free movement. If one does not....the wires could be pinched together, screw ran through them(both of them), pinched together at a lite switch, or a lite. Do you know anyone that has a automotive type circuit tester. They work great for this. There is a quick way to find it.....put a paper clip where the fuse goes and look for smoke. By golly, you have found it. LOL BTW, it does take time to find these things.

Willym

My Landmark was blowing fuses for the 12v lights and fridge in the kitchen slide. I found that the supply conductors were being cut by some flashing when the slide was retracted. With the slide out things were OK once the fuse(s) were replaced. Heartland had drilled the hole for the cable entry too far in. Yours may have the same problem. Get your dealer to check the wiring under the slide, where it enters the slide floor. I posted on this a while back, and will attempt to post a link.

Willym

Hers a link to my previous post,

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/17564-Slide-12v-Supply-Problem

K

karykatz

edmarsha,

Lot's of great advice form the other members. I would definitely start there. If no results, will have to get with your local dealer.

I hope this helps.