Generator Prep

pmkitchen

I am getting ready to order a new 5er. I currnetly own two Honda EU2000 generators and the kit to join them and get a combined 4000 watts of power. My question is; if I order the rig generator preped, can I use my Hondas? I assume the prep is for an onboard unit that is mounted on the rig. I like using the smaller Hondas because they are light and can be used for other tasks other than the RV. So, can the factory gernerator prep be modified and used to power the RV with the Hondas?
:confused:
Thanks

jbeletti

pmkitchen,

I don't have the gen-prep option but others who do will weigh in.

Gen-prep should include a transfer switch. The common (load) of that switch is wired to your AC Breaker panel. Then one side (source 1) of the switch is wired back to the 50 amp receptacle on the side of your coach. The other side (source 2) of the switch would be wired to your generator. In the gen-prep scenario, my guess is that nothing is wired to that side of the switch. You'd want to install a female twist-lock RV 30 amp receptacle (or whatever mates to the plug on your gen parallel kit) somewhere on or near the hitch area or storage compartment area and wire it to the gen side of the switch.

Experts, please clarify if I have any of this wrong. Thanks,

Jim

ct0218

I have the generator prep, I'll check tomorrow. I think it is just a bundle of wires on top of the box, not sure where a transfer switch would be-never have seen one. Lance told me the hookups were there on the box.

Scott

"Gen-Prep" has been two different variations in the history of Heartland. In the begining (first two model years) it did not include a transfer switch. Like a lot of the coaches in our price range, we offered a basic set up with an remote inside start switch and the wiring harness down to a galvanized box in the front storage compartment. Installing the transfer switch and the generator were left up to the dealer. This "gen-prep" package was considerably less money that some manufacturers who did offer the full package with the transfer switch.
Then, a little over a year ago, in repsonse to our dealers and customers requests for the transfer switch to be included, we changed our gen-prep package to include the transfer switch. So - for the last 14 months or so, Heartland's "gen-prep" package includes the transfer switch.
Hope this helps.

ST

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

To PMkitchen
Check with your Honda dealer. You will find that the two EU-2000's when parrelled together will only give you about 3500 watts, not the total of the combined total. I was told that this was not enough to run a 15k AC unit.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
P.S. to Pmkitchen
Hooking up your generators should be easy though. If you use the parralel box put a thirty amp plug in the box and plug your fiver directly into it. Don't know how you would hood that up to a transfer switch. Maybe one of our member electricains would know.

bowtorc

You should be able to hook directly to the transfer switch that is in the prep package. Mine was not prewired for a generator so I purchased a transfer switch and wired it in at the point that the electrical wire comes into the breaker box. I then installed an electrical connector under the goose neck next to the front bay door like the one at the side of the unit so I can run the cable from the generator in the back of the truck while traveling so the unit will be cool when we get to a destination. I purchased a transfer switch on the internet and wire from a local supplier. My whole set up cost about $200.00. It's not really difficult.

Roger

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I am sitting here resting and reading the posts about hooking up generators, and other things, and i will have to say it is unbelievable how much knowledge there is on this web site. We all have a different talent or knowledge about something, and all of us together can solve most any problem.I really enjoy this site.

timk

fireflipper said:
To PMkitchen
Check with your Honda dealer. You will find that the two EU-2000's when parrelled together will only give you about 3500 watts, not the total of the combined total. I was told that this was not enough to run a 15k AC unit.

Our EU-3000 runs our ac just fine. Plus just a wee bit more. I have heard the same thing about 2 2ks not equaling 4k. But I would think they would be ok. At home I can run our ac on a wimpy little 15 amp circuit. Our EU-3000 has a 30a circuit, so if the two EU-2000s have more watts than me, you just got to think it would work.

TimK

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Timk
You are right that the unit would run OK. But it would leave room for little else. It takes about 22 amps to start the AC, and if my calculations are right you have about 25 total amps from the two EU 2000's. So if a few things are on the AC will not get enough amps to start. just like on a thirty amp circuit in a park you have to be aware of what is on.

ct0218

Scott--
I took delivery in April 06, and ordered the generator prep on our Mt. Rushmore. I cannot find the transfer switch. Do you know where it is usually located? The wiring harness for the generator is tied to other wiring above the curb side propane tank, then goes up into the floor. Your previous post said the transfer switch was added about a year ago so mine should have one. I am familiar with the normal residential transfer switch and I assume that the Heartland unit is very similar. Thanks,

Scott

Even though you took delivery of the coach in April, it may be considerably older than that. I'm pretty sure that typically, the transfer switch is located right inside the storage area, next to where the generator box is located. If you have one, it should be apparent.
ST

ct0218

Scott--We ordered in January 06, built in March 06 (#2896), but there is not a transfer switch in the storage area. Sounds like someone missed that part of the install.

Scott

I guess my guys were wrong about when we started that. They told me they thought it was about a year, it sounds like it was more like eight months.
Sorry.
ST

davebennington

Scott,

We ordered our Golden Gate with the generator prep also, it was longer than a year ago however. What do I need the buy? This thing called a transfer switch? Where can I get one?

Thanks

Dave

Scott

Where ever you decide to purchase your generator - they will install the transfer switch.

ST