My new purchase

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I picked up my new handgun today from Gander. It's a Springfield XD 9 Tactical. I realize there are disadvantages to a weapon this size (5" barrel) but I felt the pros outweighed the cons. I've only owned one handgun prior to this but sold it several years ago. I intend on taking classes as necessary and practice as soon as we hit the RGV.

jbeletti

Nice Ray.

XD9__6_straight_640.jpg

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Congratulations on the purchase! The XD's are fine weapons!

jimtoo

Hmnnn,,, Looks a lot mine...except mine is 4". Sweet shootin. Targets,,,mnn,,, I'm OK.... but don't be a tin can in front of me... I will bounce you all over the place....

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ray, when you go practice in the RGV stop by and pick me up. I got tin cans. Gonna have to do some reloading though.
Nice XD.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I picked up my new handgun today from Gander. It's a Springfield XD 9 Tactical. I realize there are disadvantages to a weapon this size (5" barrel) but I felt the pros outweighed the cons. I've only owned one handgun prior to this but sold it several years ago. I intend on taking classes as necessary and practice as soon as we hit the RGV.

Be sure when your practicing you are pointed toward Mexico ROFLMAO

Pulltab

Excellent choice Ray, the XD is a fine weapon and will serve you well. I have the subcompact model and enjoy shooting it. :)

Dave

Traveling Two
I'm not very familiar with hand guns but have considered one for personnal safety. My concern is, hopefully I would never have to use the weapon inside the RV but I think I would like a handgun with enough power to stop the intruder but not have the bullet exist the RV and enter the RV next to me. Is this issue something I should be concerned about? Is the XD 9 powerful enough for the bullet to exist the RV? Thanks for any information

Ray LeTourneau

I'm not very familiar with hand guns but have considered one for personnal safety. My concern is, hopefully I would never have to use the weapon inside the RV but I think I would like a handgun with enough power to stop the intruder but not have the bullet exist the RV and enter the RV next to me. Is this issue something I should be concerned about? Is the XD 9 powerful enough for the bullet to exist the RV? Thanks for any information
I am rather green at handguns as well. I hadn't considered the after effect of using the weapon on an intruder. My hope would be that the body of the perp would slow the bullet enough so it didn't go to far. :confused: I've not done any testing yet. Maybe we have an ex or current police officer that could respond that has had real world experience with a 9MM. I think a lot depends on the type of ammo too.

I did have the opportunity to get some range time in before we headed south. First time out I was able to unload a 16 round clip into a 9" paper plate at about 30 feet. Not fast .fireing though. I was pretty pleased about that.:D

jmgratz

Ray,
The law enforcement weapon of choice nowadays is the 40 cal auto, in either Barretta, Glock or S&W. In the 'old days' the .38 caliber revolver was the gun of choice. Much research has been done on various calibers and bullet weights with the two biggest factors being stopping power, and penetration. In the urban environment penetration is important as you do not want a bullet going through a suspect into a building and killing or wounding an innocent party. Hence the 40 cal selection which has the best stopping ability and penetration with the least amount of risk to the innocent population at the present thinking anyway. The bigger issue "is your ability and skill level up to the task" and "are you willing and legally able to use deadly force should the occasion arise?" You cannot carry or own any weapon without the proper knowledge to use it properly.

Hope this clears up some issues. BTW most peace officers carry hollow point ammunition a it does the most damage versus ball ammo.

Ray LeTourneau

Ray,
The bigger issue "is your ability and skill level up to the task" and "are you willing and legally able to use deadly force should the occasion arise?" You cannot carry or own any weapon without the proper knowledge to use it properly.

Hope this clears up some issues. BTW most peace officers carry hollow point ammunition a it does the most damage versus ball ammo.
My hope is to never have to use deadly force against a human. In my home state, it is legal for me to own a weapon. That said, I have not had any formal handgun training. It's my intent to take classes and training as required. Thanks for your reply Jim.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
This is a issue that I have been pondering over as our plan to go full timing rapidly approaches. Do you really need a pistol for protection?

jmgratz

This is a issue that I have been pondering over as our plan to go full timing rapidly approaches. Do you really need a pistol for protection?

This is a decision you will have to personally consider. I would recommend if you do decide to carry one do it legally, i.e. get training and the licensing that is appropriate for you domicile. Also be aware many places where you travel prohibit carrying firearms on your person without a license and some prohibit even with a license.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

This is definitely a personal choice. Some are comfortable with carrying a weapon while others are not. For me, I work under the old adage...better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have one.

Be Safe!

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
I hope I do not get held up during the Heartland Rally 2011 with a golf crat if Jim B.lets me. I will keep an eye on you! Be careful with your gun.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
That's what I was thinking also- better to have if needed. And since I have been serving onthe Army for over 27 years. I do feel very comfortable handling a weapon. Just would have to work with which one I buy and get accustom to it. I will get all required paperwork to carry legally. No other way since we plan on using military fam camps also.