Specific dog breeds not allowed - have you ever experienced this?

Gaffer

Please post up if you have had an experience where you were not allowed to camp because of the breed of your dog. We had Dobermans for years. They are the sweetest dogs but alas they are on the classic exclusion list along with Shepards, Rots, Pits, Chows etc. DW would really like to get a Dobie puppy as it has been several years since our last one took the walk over the golden bridge. We haven't had a dog since we started RVing.
Thanks

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
PJ, I have heard that dobies and pits are not allowed at certain parks. I hope that Flying Flags doesnt have sheppards on the list...cause we are bringing Callie.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Many folks have trained their Dobermans, Pits, Rots and Shepherds to be guard dogs. They can be vicious (as can all dogs) but they are historically the worst, hence most campgrounds I have been to don't allow those breeds.

Bighurt

I've not seen it in parks, however Pit-bull terriers, Bull terriers, and Staffard-shire terriers are on the list here in town. The reason listed is due to the like the a fore mentioned attacks on man. However Sheppard's still crown the top of the list on dog bites, despite what the internet says. All dogs will bite, I've meet Rottweilers and pits trained to defend that were like puppies in my lap, and I've meet chihuahua that think they can rip your head off. It's all on how the owner trained them...

Best to ask or view the website, if they fail to mention an exclusion list, I'm make a complaint if they tried to have you removed from the park. Not sure if you have a legal defense...

jimtoo

There are a couple of parks that we have been to that did not specify breed, but specified a max weight of 20# or 30#. This way they are not specifying a certain breed, just any large dog.

Jim M

Some dogs are trained to be attack dogs others are inhearantly bad but ALL dogs can and will be good if trained and loved. Look at our own (human) breed very few are trained to be bad but many are, LOVE and TRAINING make the difference.

It should read "All dogs welcome. Poor owners are banned".
Its a shame that a few folks with poorly trained dogs are ruining it for the many good owners and good dogs.
I havnt seen this up in Canada yet so hopefully we can take our Huskies just about anywhere.

loafer

We have camped in lots of parks that are very up front and dont want certain breeds as mentioned Pit bulls and Dobermans are on the list.
Any aggressive dogs are not welcome. We have a Small dog we travel with so are always looking to see if pets are allowed and see what the rules are.
Unfortunately a few have spoiled it for the majority.
Bill

ChopperBill

I have only been attacked and bitten by one dog. Yep a Doberman. To be fair I was nine feet away and he was on a 10 foot chain.

2010augusta

Our current CG does not let the "fab four(pits, dobies, chow, rots)", and the say it is a restriction by their insurance policy.

It should read "All dogs welcome. Poor owners are banned".

we stayed at a motel once and that was to rule. They even threatened to keep the dogs if owners misbehaved.

Boca_Shuffles

There are a couple of parks that we have been to that did not specify breed, but specified a max weight of 20# or 30#. This way they are not specifying a certain breed, just any large dog.

Jim M

This is a dumb rule. Our two 50 lbs registered Therapy Dogs are welcome at hospitals, schools and retirement homes. I would rather have my hands or face licked by gentle large dog than have my ankles bitten by a under 20-30 lb dog.

Many people resemble their dogs. They both require training and love.

If I see the under 20 lb requirement, I get a feeling for the general attitude the management has at the park. I am happy to be forewarned and look elsewhere.

jpajax

Gee my dog didn't come with a birth certificate or a d@a test from the rescue event just a cute face. If they don't like my dog then they don't wont my business. Thanks for the post I needed a place to brag and show off my buddy AJ.

Attachments

• 1120071637a.jpg
    1120071637a.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 29
  • AJ.jpg
    AJ.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 27
  • AJ (12).jpg
    AJ (12).jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 26
  • AJ (23).JPG
    AJ (23).JPG
    709 KB · Views: 27
  • AJ (42).JPG
    AJ (42).JPG
    334 KB · Views: 24
  • AJ (63).JPG
    AJ (63).JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 25
  • my%20buddy%2C%20AJ%20%282%29[1].JPG
    my%20buddy%2C%20AJ%20%282%29[1].JPG
    328.3 KB · Views: 33
  • oaj.jpg
    oaj.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 25

Northern Virginia
We have two German shepherds and the male is 90 pounds and strong as an ox. He is also the sweetest dog you have ever met. Not a mean bone in his body. Our 2 year old thinks he is his personal horse. It's too bad that some have the idea that German shepherds are aggressive. They are the most loyal, intelligent and protective dog you could ever want. Just ask my 2 or 4 year old :)

We have stayed at a few campgrounds that charge an extra fee for dogs which I think is ridiculous enough. Lately we have been staying at the Virginia Horse Center which is about the most animal and dog friendly campground we have been to. We fit right in there.

HappyKayakers

Every campground that I've worked at, the decision to ban certain dogs has been made based on insurance requirements, not because the owners/managers are not dog friendly.

porthole

Retired
And then there was the Nashville campground where camper's dogs were not allowed in the doggie park because the CG owners had their two nasty dogs penned in!

noobee

How is it that most dog owners claim that their dogs are so gentle, well behaved, etc??? YET there are so many dogs in RV Parks that are out of control.

I'm very happy that some parks are making sure that the those of us who prefer not to be bothered by dogs are taken care of.

CS

gomcalli

"How is it that most dog owners claim that their dogs are so gentle, well behaved, etc??? YET there are so many dogs in RV Parks that are out of control.

I'm very happy that some parks are making sure that the those of us who prefer not to be bothered by dogs are taken care of."

I agree with this statement above. So many claim to have the best and well behaved dog in the world but it is not everyone. I pay my CG fees and expect to have a quite slot without having constant barking outside my windows, also I can have my young son outside without worry of a large or small dog biting him.

robnmo

"How is it that most dog owners claim that their dogs are so gentle, well behaved, etc??? YET there are so many dogs in RV Parks that are out of control.

I'm very happy that some parks are making sure that the those of us who prefer not to be bothered by dogs are taken care of."

I agree with this statement above. So many claim to have the best and well behaved dog in the world but it is not everyone. I pay my CG fees and expect to have a quite slot without having constant barking outside my windows, also I can have my young son outside without worry of a large or small dog biting him.

Not to start a huge argument but it's about behavior, and taking care of ones dog(s).................AND KIDS. What about the "young kids" that ride bicycles through our campsite, and a ball or frisbee that some young kid threw that bounces off the side of our RV? Or the baseball that goes through an RV window? We don't care of a constantly barking dog...................but we also aren't fans of screaming kids at 7 AM either, we've rasied ours don't want to listen to someone elses constantly. Ban kids also? Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of certain dog breeds that have bad reputations and that insurance companies list as "high risk", but I'm more in favor of banning BAD OWNERS and careless PARENTS! Personal opinion only

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
When making a reservation, we are quite often asked if we have pets, and when we respond "yes, one dog", we are usually asked the breed. That is a definite indication that the particular campground has a "list" of unacceptable dogs. As someone stated earlier, this usually comes from the campgrounds insurance carrier...they are requiring the exclusion, and the campground has no other choice, except to pay excess premiums.

Luckily we have an English Setter (Oh, and by the way, we now have a new little girl named Tiffy, a poodle-shih tzu mix..what a cutie..pics later) who is never on anyone's "list". Although this is a problem for those with these breeds, I can understand the camground's position...to stay in business they have to stay viable, keeping cost down, and insurance can be huge. Controlling these costs by excluding breeds is one way to do it, and after having our setter attacked by a pit bull IN a campground, I can understand where these breeds get their reputation, deserved or not...JMHO.

noobee

Not to start a huge argument but it's about behavior, and taking care of ones dog(s).................AND KIDS. What about the "young kids" that ride bicycles through our campsite, and a ball or frisbee that some young kid threw that bounces off the side of our RV? Or the baseball that goes through an RV window? We don't care of a constantly barking dog...................but we also aren't fans of screaming kids at 7 AM either, we've rasied ours don't want to listen to someone elses constantly. Ban kids also? Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of certain dog breeds that have bad reputations and that insurance companies list as "high risk", but I'm more in favor of banning BAD OWNERS and careless PARENTS! Personal opinion only

I'm very much more tolerant with kids as they are only human. On the other hand dogs are animals & should be treated as animals while being taught OBEDIENCE from the get go... too bad some owners have no idea on how to treat a dog, as they treat them as though they are humans.

CS

Last edited: