Portable Waste Containers

ptillett

I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Has anyone used these or have opinions about them? We will be staying couple of weeks in a campground that doesn't provide utitilies, but has a dump station. I know we will need to release some gray water and most likely black water during those two weeks.

I have seen the totes used for this. The one camping world sells seem to have a bad reviews (breaking after a few uses). Any opinions there?

Thanks in advance!

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I have a Barker (blue tote) 42 gallon 4 wheel tote. and use it weekly Apr-Oct, since we volennter at a State Park for the season. I wouldn't have any other brand, and the Barker stands behind thier product. The 42 gal is a heavy if you have to pull it full to the truck but saves me 2 trips to the dump station. Now around the Campgrounds I see more 25 gallon Barker 4 wheel totes. They are easier to handle and store than the the larger one I have, and for long weekends or a couple of weeks it would be my tank of choice.

ptillett

Excellent! Thanks for the advice. :)

p.s. Does it empty all the way. That was one complaint about the other I looked at.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I don't know of any of the 4 wheel ones that empty completely. The way the valve is set in on mine I have to raise the side up several times to get it completely drained. I refill with clean water and redump to get it cleaner when I'm ready to put it up foir the winter.
I just looked and the 4 wheel units all have the vavle set in so you don't knock it off. There are some two wheel units that you have to lift to dump that look like they well fully empty. The Gray totes are a tinner plastic and I have been told by ones that own them the wheels are pretty flimsey and the intergrated hose is a mess waitting to happen. I (as others) have replaced the wheels to a better quailty wheels, when mine wore out. But I never had a wheel fall off.

Northern Virginia
I also have the 42 gallon Barker and use it quite a bit. Like you, I read a lot of reviews and ended up withthe Barker. No regrets. It is very well made and will last for a long, long time.

It is a little heavy and big but I love that it will empty almost my entire holding tank in one trip.

John

Boca_Shuffles

Check the state laws for where you plan to camp. In Florida it is illegal to use them for black water. (I thought that was the reason they made them).

If you are in a state park, you may see the tell-tale marks down the dirt road where somebody hauled theirs behind the truck in the sand. Keep your speed down to a crawl!!

Since a large full tank weights more than you can lift up into your truck, you might want to add a macerator pump to your shopping list. Then you can place the empty tank in your truck, fill the tote tank, and then drive to the dump station.

Northern Virginia
I have seen a few people modify their Barker tanks with dual rear wheels at the sandy campground we go to every summer. Personally I have never had any trouble pulling mine either by hand or with my truck when they are full. (It is heavy when full, especially on sand but I still manage)

John

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Yes the 42 is heavy and I do have to pull it by hand up hill about 50ft, but manage. I did by a Macerator pump this year from a fellow RV who never used his for $150 with the 20+ hose and a case to carry it. I just need to get power from the battery so I can use it.
Barker did replace the 42 for me free of charge after 6 months when a crack developed near the mounting plate for the front wheels. That's customer service.

Ernie & Lettie

I bought a thetford 37 gal one about 14 months ago, after awhile I could not get it to drain all the way, Called thetford and talked to customer service, explained to them what it was doing and they sent me a new one free of charge and did not want the old one back. We have used the new one and it works like it supposed to. Just go slow when you are towing it and evwerything should be fine. I really like the thetford. Ernie & Lettie

ptillett

Thanks for all the replies. I just purchased a 32 gal barker, 4 wheel. Little expensive, but I sure it will be worth it. With all the good reviews, I feel much better about this one.

And I do have one of those macerator pumps. That thing is nice!