2011 M22 - Bad Laminate

Larsz

We have done the preliminary paperwork to purchase a 2011 Edge M22. Since the camping season is over (for us) we are not in a hurry to take receipt. Which is good because the back panel has a pretty substantial bubble. The dealer assured us that it will be repaired by the factory under full warranty.

We haven't dealt with this dealer before but from what I could find, they are reputable. I want to ensure that this problem is indeed fixed by the factory and not the dealer's 2nd cousin's brother-in-law's uncle who has a reputation of being handy with a glue gun.

The dealer was unsure if the unit had to be sent back to the factory or if a factory technician would travel to the dealer for the repairs. Has anyone else had this experience? Was the unit sent back or repaired onsite? What kind of documentation did you receive? Same questions for anyone from the factory who can answer.

We are really looking forward to next year's camping season, it is going to be a long winter full of anticipation!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Larsz, I'm not the factory but the only way that the HL factory would fix it would be....either you or the dealer take it to them. The plant does not have techs that travel as far as I know. Either the dealers shop or someone else will be payed to fix it. Why don't you have the dealer order you a new Edge. Why take one that has a problem unless It's smoking deal. You say your not going to use it....get a different one. My 2 cts

noobee

I hope you haven't made a financial commitment on this unit. I would walk away from this unit as I wouldn't want something new that had a major defect repaired.

CC

GOTTOYS

At the least ..wait until it's fixed before you make a commitment. I don't know why a dealer would even try to sell a new unit in that condition. It should be as new then try to sell it. I'm not impressed with that dealer..Don

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Run, don't walk.... You have plenty of time to shop around (different dealer) and negotiate.
Time is on your side! (Rolling Stones)

jkeat

I completely agree with everyone else. Unless you are getting a GREAT deal on this trailer I would not deal with the hassles of a defective unit. I just bought a M23 brand new. It was built at the factory 2 weeks ago. There are 4 problems that I am trying to get corrected. You would ASSUME that since it was just delivered to me it would be corrected immediately without question. Wrong. My dealer had to file a warranty claim and now I am waiting. 2 of the 4 problems i was able to fix with the help of my dealers service department over the phone. One of them was a wire that had come disconnected and needed to be reconnected in the proper place. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my trailer but I think dealers in general will say what they need to before the sales contract is signed and tend to downplay what is involved to get problems remedied after the sale. I read both the dealer and Heartland's warranty fine print after the sale and realized that RV warranties are nowhere near as "customer-friendly" as say a new car warranty. What's the old saying, "Buyer Beware". That being said, absolutely get an Edge M22. It's a great trailer. We were stuck between the M22 and M23 and went with the M23 because it was a little lighter and had a little nicer bathroom (IMO). From my extensive shopping, it seemed that there were better "deals" to be had on the M22, possibly because one dealer told me it is being discontinued (I'm sure I can't post numbers on this forum but let's just say I found some SERIOUS deals on the M22). Bottom line. Don't buy this "defective" trailer UNLESS you are saving a ton of money and they fix it BEFORE you sign a contract.

Tom of Ypsi

As others have said run do not walk away from this deal. This could be the beginning of more problems that are hidden.

Larsz

We picked the Edge M22 up yesterday and the back panel looks great. When we examined the unit last fall, you could see many tiny stress cracks in the gel-coat even when the bubble had flattened out. I don't think that can be repaired (at least not without less cost or effort than replacing the panel) so I am pretty confident that the panel was replaced. I could see that the screws holding the trim pieces had been removed and re-installed as well. The seams all looked tight and well sealed. All-in-all it looks like a very competent repair. Will have to see what happens when we get some hot summer sun. The manual indicates there will be some minor flexing during extreme temperatures but certainly shouldn't cause cracks in the gel-coat. If I had to guess, looks like nothing more than uneven glue application and we will keep our fingers crossed that it is behind us.

Pretty surprised by the negative responses to my initial post especially when viewed side-by-side with responses to people who have problems after they have made the purchase. I guess I was expecting the same "Heartland stands by their products" encouragement users get when they express a problem on a camper they already own. We are in that category now. :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Larzs, as I read some of the posts. I think you were seeing some negitive reports on dealers also. HL does stand behind their products....but dealers most of the time are the problem. They do not submit the proper documetation on warranty work which causes the factory to question or deny the repair. You have to remember that a trailer of any kind is a rolling house. Some people abuse there rigs, then want the factory to pay for the repair. It's the same with automobiles, the dealer/factory can deny a warranty claim if there is abuse or a modifacation to the vehical. Rest assured that HL will take care of you if you need it. If you have an issue, make sure YOU cantact HL when your coach is at the dealer for repair. Any time you have a problem and are calling HL...always have your VIN# handy. My 4cts (inflation)