bike rack hitch

z-dog

I am having a 3070 built. I contacted my dealer to ask about a receiver installed at the factory for my bike rack. The salesman indicated that the frame (which was on the production line) would not have the bolt holes for the hitch so they could not install one. Yet the frame on the unit we saw at the dealer had the holes in the frame for the hitch. The salesman said the factory uses different frames, ours happen to be one without the holes for the hitch.
Is it true there are different frames, and what is the best way to install a hitch for the bike rack (I have a rack that goes into either a 1 1/4" or 2" receiver) if indeed the frame doesn't have holes in the frame?
Thanks Chris

Gizzy

We have a BH3070 and I noticed it has a bracket welded to the rear of the frame on each side. I was going to ask if that was to install a receiver hitch and if that would be possible without any problems of voiding the warranty. I have been thinking about the possibility of installing a bike rack. I'll be watching this post to see what response you get. Thanks for bringing the topic up.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Here are a couple of threads on how some of us mounted a bike rack.

davebennington's thread
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/2110-Bike-rack

And a post I started
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/14284-New-Bike-Rack-for-Bighorn

As per mounting one on the rear, the bikes bounce a lot. On the Pinbox they ride very steady.

FWIW
BC

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Gizzy, check out THIS POST on bike racks. It seems you will be alright with a receiver hitch purchased from the manufacturer of the frame.

Peace
Dave

K

karykatz

z-dog,

In August, we stopped putting brackets on the frame for installing an 1 1/4" bike rack reciever that was sold through our parts department. The dealer is correct that yours will not have these brackets.

to those of you that have the brackets, you can purchase the bike rack option form our parts department.

I hope this helps.

z-dog

Thanks Bob. We currently have a bike rack on the back of our 5th wheel. We have the swagman carrier that holds the bikes very well and we get some bounce but not bad at all. I have seen several bike carriers on the front which looks like it would be much more difficult to get the bike on and off. Will still try to see what works out best. Thanks for the imput.
Chris

caissiel

I have been carrying 2 or 3 bikes on the rear of my 5th wheels and they hardly move. Been holding 2 bikes with Bungies for the past 15 years with the rack in my albums.

This rack can go on the back of the trailer, truck and Matrix.

I completly refuse loading bikes in my truck box. Every time I did that I ruined my trip with a kink or sore back. So loading on the pin surely is not my cup of tea.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
z-dog,

In August, we stopped putting brackets on the frame for installing an 1 1/4" bike rack reciever that was sold through our parts department.

Just out of curiosity, what was the reason for not putting the brackets on the frame? If an owner added a receiver for a bike rack will it void the warranty? Sounds like a step back.

No offense, just curious.

BC

davebennington

I found that the hitch mount did several thing I did not care for first it effected the wind resistance as you went down the road, second it was difficult to put the bikes on and to get off, we used a bike cover and that made things worse because the wind tore the cover so bad you had to buy a new cover every year.

solution:

mount the rack on the rear I am sure any good welding shop can do this for you.

Dave

z-dog

HI All
Thanks for all the imput. I agree with Bob that the factory stopping with the brackets on the frame is a step back. I have ordered an adjustable hitch that I can have welded onto the frame for the bike rack. If welding a hitch to the frame for a bike rack voids the warranty, then I may have purchased a product that would be pretty weak. I think it will be fine. Also agree with Dave that the rack on the front was just not an option for me to consider. Suppose to pick up our new unit this Wed. so hope it goes well (factory already didn't install the Trailair pin box that I ordered and shipped without it).
Thanks Chris